FIFA officials arrested.

And of course FIFA are well known for sticking to the rules.

Wouldn't surprise me if he stands again after overwhelming demand, like the last time when he promised not to stand again. Although my bet is he'll be in jail or house arrest by then.

Excellent piece in the Washington Post about Andrew Jennings, who wrote the superb book Foul, that some people were discussing earlier.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/03/how-a-curmudgeonly-old-reporter-exposed-the-fifa-scandal-that-toppled-sepp-blatter/?postshare=1651433336369627

Edited by AberdeenBud

I am actually surprised that bids like France 1998 (which only had Morocco as opposition), South Africa 2010 (which was 'ringfenced' for Africa under the rotational system) and Russia 2018 would have needed to have bribed people to have won their tournaments?

In the first 2 cases they were the stand-out candidates - to the degree that anyone else winning almost seems unthinkable in hindsight - and Russia was not a surprise winner being a huge and wealthy country, and Eastern Europe never having held it before: England got a solitary 2 votes in R1 and thereafter the opposition were Iberian and Benelux joint bids, which they comfortably surpassed to win 13-7-2 in R2 without even a need for R3.

Or was it just the done thing: you had to bribe to please the blazers?

Edited by HibeeJibee

I cannot wait until the FA get involved in the corruption scandal. It will come out soon enough.

Talksport will be brilliant when it happens.

Do you think that'll happen like?

I'm not so sure. I don't think the English FA would get caught up in this

Here are England's votes for 2006 & 2018:

R1: Germany 10, South Africa 6, England 5, Morocco 2

R2: Germany 11, South Africa 11, England 2 *eliminated*

R1: Russia 9, Iberia 7, Benelux 4, England 2 *eliminated*

If they were bribing, they were pretty bad bribers...