Glasgow-based teams

Also... we didn't actually need anyone to bottle it on the final day. A 3-1 Morton was easily enough to clinch la decima from start to finish.

Thanks for playing anyway, diddy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine an Angus based club actually training in Glasgow :lol:

Who does that like?

It still wouldn't be that bad, do Berwick not train in Edinburgh? Stranraer in Glasgow? Pretty similar

Fwiw we train in Dundee one night and Perth the other

Who does that like?

It still wouldn't be that bad, do Berwick not train in Edinburgh? Stranraer in Glasgow? Pretty similar

Stranraer training in Glasgow and Berwick training in Edinburgh is pretty bad. The OP suggested Brechin train in Glasgow

Stranraer training in Glasgow and Berwick training in Edinburgh is pretty bad. The OP suggested Brechin train in Glasgow

Know what you mean, it doesn't feel very local does it? But at the end of the day most players available to clubs are in that central belt, you can't make it to difficult for people to train

Pretty happy with our training arrangements, Dundee is an hour from Edinburgh, hour and a half from Glasgow, 15 minutes from Arbroath, Perth 40 minutes from Arbroath and close to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Also not to far away for players further North

Hard being part time and getting players up here, I don't know how some of the far out clubs manage tbh

Know what you mean, it doesn't feel very local does it? But at the end of the day most players available to clubs are in that central belt, you can't make it to difficult for people to train

Pretty happy with our training arrangements, Dundee is an hour from Edinburgh, hour and a half from Glasgow, 15 minutes from Arbroath, Perth 40 minutes from Arbroath and close to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Also not to far away for players further North

Hard being part time and getting players up here, I don't know how some of the far out clubs manage tbh

I guess it's something I've never thought much of, players commuting across the country and stuff. Especially part time players.

We train at our stadium now and I remember standing in the queue for cup final tickets when Mark Kerr and John Baird got out a car together shortly before the 10am start, and it kinda dawned on me that we picked up both these guys from QOS midseason and they were probably driving up from Dumfries together every day.

I read Roy Keane's book not that long ago and he mentioned how there was some lad driving for several hours a day to get to training and back and he gave him the hairdryer treatment for turning up late one time because he wanted his players living fairly close.

Who does that like?

An Angus team training in Glasgow would just be nonsensical, which isn't the case with the other two. Glasgow and Edinburgh are the nearest cities to Stranraer and Berwick respectively, so neither club really has a choice but to train in or near them, which you did point out. There are plenty of realistic places a team from Angus could train which are closer than Glasgow though, which I'm guessing was at least partially Mr Bairn's point to begin with.

An Angus team training in Glasgow would just be nonsensical, which isn't the case with the other two. Glasgow and Edinburgh are the nearest cities to Stranraer and Berwick respectively, so neither club really has a choice but to train in or near them, which you did point out. There are plenty of realistic places a team from Angus could train which are closer than Glasgow though, which I'm guessing was at least partially Mr Bairn's point to begin with.

It depends on what sort of players you're trying to attract though, if the manager and the majority of the players are from Glasgow then it makes total sense

They'd only have to make the drive to Brechin for 18 league games, x amount of cup games and friendlies

There is that, but essentially basing yourself as a club 100+ miles from your ground when you don't actually have to doesn't seem like a great plan long-term. Aside from travelling that far on a regular basis probably being a bit of a headache, you're also pretty much resigning yourself to no local players being able to progress from youths to the first team and you'd struggle to have any kind of engagement with the local community. It must be quite a tough balancing act for clubs beyond the central belt.

We train at our stadium now and I remember standing in the queue for cup final tickets when Mark Kerr and John Baird got out a car together shortly before the 10am start, and it kinda dawned on me that we picked up both these guys from QOS midseason and they were probably driving up from Dumfries together every day.

Pretty sure queens do the majority of their training in the central belt, broadwood maybe.

Sure about that claim champ? Hearts haven't won ten titles, nor Hibs, nor Aberdeen, nor Dundee, nor Dundee United, nor St Mirren nor Motherwell. Even combining your current, failed zombie club with the original, shitey version doesn't even come close to ten league titles.

So if we're the best looking person on the Clyde Riviera then every other club in Scottish football are the horrific stab-to-the-face victims of Monday morning in court.

Gutted for you then.

The fact that you're trying to one-up Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc because you managed to trump outfits like East Fife, Berwick Rangers and Albion Rovers to the Second Division and even Third (Lawl) Division titles a few times graphically displays your record-breaking levels of idiocy for all to see.

You take great delight in visiting other teams' threads to politely inform them of what a no-mark diddy club they support, and then actually post that effort that is quoted above. "We've won the Second Division 3 times, you've no"...I'm sure Hibs fans will have tears streaming down their face at that jibe as their team bend your world famous football club over home and away.

This line is said so much that it's lost it's meaning, but I say it with complete sincerity:

Gutted for you.

Have to admit the league titles won chat is absolutely dreadful. Winning a diddy league doesn't count as a better achievement than playing in a better league consistently. It's pretty embarrassing to try to claim it as some sort of great feat that raises them above Hearts etc. fair enough if comparing to teams like Ayr but not proper big teams.

Stirling actually.

Although that might change with a new manager. ........Might well end up being Glasgow.

Saying that, I don't think Gary Bollan would fancy that trip 2 nights a week . :rolleyes:

The fact that you're trying to one-up Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc because you managed to trump outfits like East Fife, Berwick Rangers and Albion Rovers to the Second Division and even Third (Lawl) Division titles a few times graphically displays your record-breaking levels of idiocy for all to see.

The fact that Morton have never actually had to compete with diddies like Albion Rovers and East Fife for a Second Division title holes your otherwise dedicated, tear-stained rap-lecture well, well below the waterline.

Thanks for playing anyway, champ.

Have to admit the league titles won chat is absolutely dreadful.

An utterly meaningless claim from the fan of a side that hasn't come close to winning ten league titles in Scottish football. I guess we could switch to a comparison of significant cup wins, but that would only serve to further embarrass yourself and your no-mark outfit.

An utterly meaningless claim from the fan of a side that hasn't come close to winning ten league titles in Scottish football. I guess we could switch to a comparison of significant cup wins, but that would only serve to further embarrass yourself and your no-mark outfit.

Erm, yeah that's exactly what I was saying. When comparing to Ayr it at least makes sense to bring up diddy league titles as we had played in similar leagues consistently, but comparing Morton to Hearts, Hibs etc based on winning more Second Division titles is just truly bizarre.

Erm, yeah that's exactly what I was saying. When comparing to Ayr it at least makes sense to bring up diddy league titles as we had played in similar leagues consistently, but comparing Morton to Hearts, Hibs etc based on winning more Second Division titles is just truly bizarre.

his arguments are generally flawed when he enters rant mode (and are presented along with the usual hilarious, standard troll words and phrases such as "champ", "thanks for playing" etc...).

I doubt he was even born last time Morton played in the top flight.

Another thread destroyed...

The fact that Morton have never actually had to compete with diddies like Albion Rovers and East Fife for a Second Division title holes your otherwise dedicated, tear-stained rap-lecture well, well below the waterline.

Thanks for playing anyway, champ.

If you had actually bothered to look into your glorious 1994-95 title win, you will realise that East Fife were in the same league. However, the inclusion of East Fife was in fact a direct reference to the fact that they were your nearest challengers to your Third (lawl) Division Title win.

Imagine being in the Third Division at any point in your history.

Gutted for you.

Do St Johnstone still train at Alloa? Moving traiing to Glasgow for Ayr is a good move. Opens up the club to players who live on east coast and don't want to travel down the A77 on a pishy wet Tuesday night. Personally I feel clubs should train near to where their core base of a players are. If it's Glasgow for Stranraer fair does as nobody is going to want to move down there!!!!

Brechin definitely trained at Toryglen Soccer Centre when Jim Duffy was the manager a few years ago and before that when Michael O'Neill was the gaffer I was told they were training in Edinburgh. Makes sense to take it where the bulk of the players are.

Archived