Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

Summer 2012 had practically no rebuilding. Craigen retired and we signed Ramsden, we lost Jennings and moved Law inside and Murphy onto the wing, Ojamaa moved up front. 9/11 first choice players were kept on.

Summer 2011 was pretty much the same. We only made two changes to the first choice side with Sutton out for Higdon and Law for Gunning/Forbes.

Even last summer there was little change with only Josh Law and Twardzik coming in.

The whole McCall era was steady, if everyone was fit there would be very few changes to the starting eleven for 3.75 years

Randolph> Hollis/Neilsen > Twardzik

Hammell

Craigen > McManus

Hutchison > clownshoes

Hateley > Ramsden

N. Law > Murphy > McFadden > Vigurs

Lasley

Jennings > N. Law > Carswell

Humphrey > Ainsworth

Sutton > Higdon > Sutton

Murphy > Ojamaa > Anier > Ojamaa

Interesting - and it lines up with my impression that the "big clearout" doesn't happen that often. Gannon was surely the last one that had to really deal with that (and he did that brilliantly IMO) and before that it was probably going into Administration that triggered one...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - and it lines up with my impression that the "big clearout" doesn't happen that often. Gannon was surely the last one that had to really deal with that (and he did that brilliantly IMO) and before that it was probably going into Administration that triggered one...

Exactly, I had been looking at this in another thread when Sevco fans were trying to reassure themselves about appointing McCall and suggesting that he "had to rebuild a team from scratch every season" which as it turns out was pretty much a myth. The only season recently where there were higher than usual incomings to the first XI was 2013/14 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Motherwell_F.C._season#Transfers on the whole the first XI has remained fairly consistent season on season with only a handful of changes.

To be fair to the earlier poster, although we haven't seen this kind of mass exodus in many a year, we did lose a fair number at the end of 2012/13.

We lost Randolph, Hateley, Humphrey, Law, Higdon & Ojamaa. That's more than half of our team who were regulars in that season.

Although we finished 2nd again the following season, it was a different team, and a poorer one IMO.

To be fair to the earlier poster, although we haven't seen this kind of mass exodus in many a year, we did lose a fair number at the end of 2012/13.

We lost Randolph, Hateley, Humphrey, Law, Higdon & Ojamaa. That's more than half of our team who were regulars in that season.

Although we finished 2nd again the following season, it was a different team, and a poorer one IMO.

Yeah, that's the close-season I mentioned above. ^^^^^

As it stands, of the team that started in the play-off games we've only got the following left;

GK

Hammell

McManus

CB

Law

Johnson

Lasley

Pearson

RM

CF

CF

Even taking into account the younger guys signing new contracts it's still pretty much half a team we're looking to replace. I've probably got more confidence in Baraclough's eye for a player than I did McCall but I'm not really judging that on anything beyond IB seeming to have a more defined idea of how he wants his team to play.

Interesting that in a Radio clyde interview that someone on Steelmen had linked that Alan Burrows was sounding positive about getting Lionel to re-sign - which I wasn't very confident about. I'd be very happy about that and if it happens, Barraclough can try to find the key to getting more good 90 min performances from him to compliment his goals and assists...

Yeah, just had a listen to the interview. He seems positive about concluding the deal in the near future.

He mentions Lionel has scored 20 goals and made 20 assists in his two seasons with Motherwell. That's incredible!

Yeah, just had a listen to the interview. He seems positive about concluding the deal in the near future.

He mentions Lionel has scored 20 goals and made 20 assists in his two seasons with Motherwell. That's incredible!

I've always made the point that the difference between Vigurs and Ainsworth despite both being infuriating at times was that Ainsworth's end product is simply better - his highlights reel must be unbelievable given some of the goals he's scored.

If Barraclough fancies setting the team up for next season in the way we set up in the playoffs (which I'd like to see) - with 2 attacking wide players in Johnson and Ainsworth either side of a mobile striker, then that would surely be an attractive proposition for Ainsworth as he would be absolutely key to that.

Yep. I think Bara wants to play proper football. 442, pace on the flanks. Suits Lionel, which may help him decide. I saw him a bit frustrated earlier but seems to have listened and settled. If he signs, I'd be delighted.

And I have it on authority, he's not a growler.

100% agree with you Swello. I'd say Vigurs is better technically, but with regards to the end product (and let's be honest, that's what you're judged on as a player), Ainsworth is streets ahead.

It'll be a real statement of intent if we can get him a long term deal.

With regards to the formation, certainly two wide men, with a mobile striker through the middle. If he looks for someone in the McDonald mould (i.e an intelligent player who can drop a bit deeper) then it's more of a modern day 4-2-3-1. However, I think we'll be a helluva lot fitter, and play a high pressing game. Could be the most exciting start to a season since McGhee's first season.

Some of the most exciting times I've had going to games was McGhee's first season where our tactics were to have the game won inside 20 minutes. The amount of times we knew we had the 3 points sewn up by half-time was unbelievable!

Some of the most exciting times I've had going to games was McGhee's first season where our tactics were to have the game won inside 20 minutes. The amount of times we knew we had the 3 points sewn up by half-time was unbelievable!

We did it to Aberdeen and I remember feeling sorry for their supporters as they were 2 down inside 10 mins after that trip down the road. It's not something we've ever really done regularly before or after that...

We did it to Aberdeen and I remember feeling sorry for their supporters as they were 2 down inside 10 mins after that trip down the road. It's not something we've ever really done regularly before or after that...

I mind of that. They hooked someone and brought on Ricky Foster who looked utterly crestfallen at being asked to go on. Seem to remember feeling sorry for their full-backs as McCormack and Clarkson just went at them over and over again.

I mind of that. They hooked someone and brought on Ricky Foster who looked utterly crestfallen at being asked to go on. Seem to remember feeling sorry for their full-backs as McCormack and Clarkson just went at them over and over again.

I can't remember the final score - but we were 3 nil up at half time and I'd imagine a good chunk of the away crowd heard the final score on Sportsound as they passed Dundee...

Exactly, I had been looking at this in another thread when Sevco fans were trying to reassure themselves about appointing McCall and suggesting that he "had to rebuild a team from scratch every season" which as it turns out was pretty much a myth. The only season recently where there were higher than usual incomings to the first XI was 2013/14 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_Motherwell_F.C._season#Transfers on the whole the first XI has remained fairly consistent season on season with only a handful of changes.

That Wiki link is quite interesting - despite all the pant-wetting about the lack of signings, we've never been particularly quick off the mark in getting folk signed up. Even in the Summer of Gannon, Jennings was the first to come in, in early July. There is something a wee bit galling about the lack of rumours I suppose, but I'd much rather we took our time rather than just signing any old shite simply because we need to fill a jersey.

That Wiki link is quite interesting - despite all the pant-wetting about the lack of signings, we've never been particularly quick off the mark in getting folk signed up. Even in the Summer of Gannon, Jennings was the first to come in, in early July. There is something a wee bit galling about the lack of rumours I suppose, but I'd much rather we took our time rather than just signing any old shite simply because we need to fill a jersey.

True - remember the team that lined up against Llanelli (shudder) @ Airdrie - it was basically every player we had signed up from the season before even if they were youth players or senior pros playing out of position (I'm sure Jim O'Brien was at full back). Ruddy made his debut over in Bucharest and more joined after him I think, so it was a slow process. It's important that we get off to a good start next season but there is a balance to be struck between having the bulk of the team ready for the opening day Vs picking up some players late in the window that may not have had us as their preferred destination...

I can't remember the final score - but we were 3 nil up at half time and I'd imagine a good chunk of the away crowd heard the final score on Sportsound as they passed Dundee...

I'm certain it finished 3-0. The second-half was a complete non-event as Aberdeen knew they had absolutely no chance of getting back into it, and Motherwell took their foot of the gas ahead of the fixtures ahead (i'm sure it was around pre-Xmas time).

That first half, and the first hour against Dundee Utd later that month (the performance we put in that day is, understandably, rarely mentioned) were two of the finest attacking perfromances i've ever seen from a Motherwell side.

That first half, and the first hour against Dundee Utd later that month (the performance we put in that day is, understandably, rarely mentioned) were two of the finest attacking perfromances i've ever seen from a Motherwell side.

Clarkson's chip in that game was a truly wonderful, wonderful goal. He was absolutely superb that season.

There used to be a clip of it on Youtube, sadly no longer there, but I always remember him knocking it inside of Hinkel and running the other side of him at the corner of the East Stand. I just remember Hinkel visibly looking as if he was about two tear himself in two, just trying to figure out which was he was meant to go. The confidence in that team was ridiculous.

True - remember the team that lined up against Llanelli (shudder) @ Airdrie - it was basically every player we had signed up from the season before even if they were youth players or senior pros playing out of position (I'm sure Jim O'Brien was at full back). Ruddy made his debut over in Bucharest and more joined after him I think, so it was a slow process. It's important that we get off to a good start next season but there is a balance to be struck between having the bulk of the team ready for the opening day Vs picking up some players late in the window that may not have had us as their preferred destination...

Some decent young players in that side though. Steven Saunders started at full back and was impressive getting up and down the flank. Forbes and Slane made debuts in that game, Hutchy was on the bench and Murphy made his first start I think.

A severe lack of fitness was the issue as Craigan had been taking the team, fatboy in their midfield ran riot.

Weird times when Gannon blew everything up convinced he could play Reynolds in midfield or left back and dropping almost all the experienced players to start Hutchinson and Saunders (both 18) at centre half and Yassin Matouakil at right back who offered no cover. Craigan, Lasley, McGarry, O'Brien and Sutton were all dropped. Sutty was possibly excusable because we had Jutkiewicz. Then he even fell out with the guys he had brought in.

I think that's the thing, given our situation with the number of players who have moved on the concern at the lack of rumours is probably as much about it being an indication of what sort of player Baraclough is looking for as it is getting bodies in and by extension use that as a gauge of his judgement and how he plans to set the team up. Given that most would concede that the players brought in at the end of the January window were done out of necessity then it's difficult to use that business as being representative of the manager.

When it comes to it though it's understandable for fans to be wondering whether he's likely to be bringing in more players in the vein of Marvin Johnson or whether his targets are more like Tony Straker (accepting that he was only ever here as a short term cover with Hammell being out).

Much like yourself I'd much rather we took our time and brought in the right players rather than just bringing in bodies but equally given how long it took us to actually put anything resembling a performance together after IB took over we really need an XI bedded in and organised from kick off this season. So as Swello says, it's a fine balance.

Archived