Remember Arild Stavrum, ex Aberdeen player? He wrote a book.

Anyone read it? Wonder if there are any wee nods to Aberdeen in there.

It's called Exposed at the Back.

“The agents, the fixers, the people who contribute nothing to football and leech money out — don’t like me,” says author Arild Stavrum. "I wanted to highlight the crimes which are being committed in the sport. Football is a beautiful game, and I hate people who steal from it. It’s true, I do focus on dark areas of the game — but they do exist, believe me.”

Norway's most powerful soccer agent, the charismatic and ruthless Arild Golden, is found brutally murdered. Rumors circulate about infidelity and secret deals, about billions that cannot be traced and stories about talented African players who are dumped without papers when they fail to make the grade in the professional game. The lawyer Steinar Brunsvik, a former player for Ajax and the Norwegian national team, as asked to represent murder suspect Taribo Shorunmo. Shorunmo is a former pro soccer player living in Norway without a visa. Brunsvik discovers that his own soccer career has a connection to Golden's murder and realizes he caught in the middle of a dirty game that could prove fatal.

The simplicity of language when Scandinavian literature is translated to English is often one of its shortcomings but, within the realms that it has reached a global audience of late within crime fiction and horror, it can viewed as a benefit. It runs alongside the great crime-noir novels of the middle of the last century giving it an almost train-of-thought characteristic.

And I can't think of anything simpler than a footballer writing a book. This could be good.

The simplicity of language when Scandinavian literature is translated to English is often one of its shortcomings but, within the realms that it has reached a global audience of late within crime fiction and horror, it can viewed as a benefit. It runs alongside the great crime-noir novels of the middle of the last century giving it an almost train-of-thought characteristic.

And I can't think of anything simpler than a footballer writing a book. This could be good.

Haha. Good point. I don't think he'll be the next Knausgaard. I like how he kills off a football journalist at the start.

Arild was in just about every packet of spl stickers I bought in 99!

I found some of my old albums not so long ago, so many faces I had forgotten about! Some have just dropped off the face of the earth now. To think about all the pocket money I wasted on those things...

I found some of my old albums not so long ago, so many faces I had forgotten about! Some have just dropped off the face of the earth now. To think about all the pocket money I wasted on those things...

I think the year Stavrum was first in it with that hair do was also the year it went to 26p a packet!

Archived