Activate Windows

Not sure if this is quite the right place for this, but considering the time it's the only place I can think of that might get a helpful response at some point today.

I recently did a "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" and since then i will occasionally be prompted to "Activate Windows". This requires entering the windows product key. My PC was bought in store with Windows already installed. I googled around and found a way to find the product key number as it is stored on the PC itself apparently. When I entered the number it said that the key didn't work.

Having searched for a solution I believe this needs to be resolved in 30 days or I guess my computer stops working. At the moment the only solution I can think of is to do a full restore to factory settings type thing. Which I believe to be "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" in the hopes that it will be like the first day again.

However since it has reinstall windows in the title, i'm worried that i'll just be exactly where I am now. It will start asking for the product key and I get stuck in a loop.

EDITED: Just to add thanks for any help it would be greatly appreciated.

You should have got wither a windows disc or had the option to create your own recovery media. You could always contact Microsoft themselves they should be able to tell you what's going on with the product key you got from the computer.

Good ol' microsoft!!

What microsoft did was make the Activation key for windows 8.1 in a different format from windows 8, so a PC upgraded from 8 to 8.1 will not take the original product key. You will be OK if you reinstall to factory settings, back to Win 8, which your key will be in the right format for, then after thats done you can 'upgrade' to Win 8.1.

You should have got wither a windows disc or had the option to create your own recovery media. You could always contact Microsoft themselves they should be able to tell you what's going on with the product key you got from the computer.

I think at one point I was prompted to set up a recovery media. However it never completed successfully and I don't recall being asked to store in on a USB or anything like that.

Good ol' microsoft!!

What microsoft did was make the Activation key for windows 8.1 in a different format from windows 8, so a PC upgraded from 8 to 8.1 will not take the original product key. You will be OK if you reinstall to factory settings, back to Win 8, which your key will be in the right format for, then after thats done you can 'upgrade' to Win 8.1.

So would this be the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option in PC settings?

So would this be the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option in PC settings?

Yep. Its a pain in the ass, but probably your best option.

Well fortunately i've got most of my music and files stored on external hard drives. Unlike my last computer that died unexpectedly and lost all that essentially. I'll give it a go later when I can bare being off the internet for a spell.

Just want to thank those of you trying to help, it's very much appreciated.

How can you re-install everything if you don't have a copy of windows or any back up stuff?

That was my hope that it would return to the way I got it on the first day. The problem with being unable to access the "Activate Windows" screen is still there.

I bought the Pc from Pc World and signed up to there support system thing. I'm sure the receipt is still somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions as to if it's them that I should contact or microsoft? If it's the later how would I go about that.

So I just did the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows". Now when I go into PC settings to the Activate Windows category, it exits PC settings and defaults to the desktop. So can't put a product key in at all.

If it came pre installed with the OS, then you shouldnt manually have to enter the product key when you do a full reinstall, it should be already activated with the OEM's key already in it.

So I just did the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows". Now when I go into PC settings to the Activate Windows category, it exits PC settings and defaults to the desktop. So can't put a product key in at all.

as vip3r says, you shouldnt need to activate it now that you have taken the thing back to factory settings

When I did "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" it gave two further options. Just remove my files (Use this if you're keeping your PC) and Clean the drive fully (Which was something along the lines of use this if you're recycling it & it would take hours.). I went with the Just remove my files in the hopes that would be enough. I take it I should have done the latter?

As it is still the case that it says it needs to be activated and cannot access the Activate Windows section to do anything with that.

As it is still the case that it says it needs to be activated and cannot access the Activate Windows section to do anything with that.

try this . . .

1.click START

2.type RUN

3.type slui 3 and press ENTER

If that works it will bring up the change product key window.

Archived