The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

53 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I like Fjortoft but if we have to take the hit on him to also lose Salkend and McGinty then I’m happy with that. 

Why would this be the case? Are they conjoined triplets?

5 hours ago, Colkitto said:

If reports are true

Fjortoft  - Ayr

McGinty  - Ayr

Jacobs - Falkirk

Colville - York

Morton interested in the big Montrose striker McLean, who I have to admit, did impress in the games against us

Only one of those I’d be concerned about is Jacobs... but, as always, depends on who we’d replace him with.

Can’t wait to see McGinty playing against us with supporters back...

I cannot see Ayr signing both Fjortoft & McGinty, the former certainly, but if Hopkin is willing to take a punt on that jobber again he’s even more clueless than I thought. 

17 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I cannot see Ayr signing both Fjortoft & McGinty, the former certainly, but if Hopkin is willing to take a punt on that jobber again he’s even more clueless than I thought. 

McGinty started every league match for us last season, under three different managers. Hoppy signed him, then gave him a new contract. Whatever we see in him, Hoppy (as well as Gus and Anton) sees something different. Anton made him captain, and I think it's clear that both he and Hoppy really rate him. 

I wouldn't surprise me at all if McGinty is Hoppy's top defensive target, even moreso than Fjortoft.

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

McGinty started every league match for us last season, under three different managers. Hoppy signed him, then gave him a new contract. Whatever we see in him, Hoppy (as well as Gus and Anton) sees something different. Anton made him captain, and I think it's clear that both he and Hoppy really rate him. 

I wouldn't surprise me at all if McGinty is Hoppy's top defensive target, even moreso than Fjortoft.

What is he doing that the rest of us are missing? It’s bizarre. Maybe just values his weird runs out of defence. 

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Why would this be the case? Are they conjoined triplets?

I just meant if I’d heard Fjortoft alone was joining Ayr I’d be disappointed, but I could stomach it if Salkend and McGinty were joining him as has been suggested.

On 22/05/2021 at 12:53, The Ghost of B A R P said:

[*I’m here for the absolute seething lolz when McGinty signs for Ayr or QoS... or Thistle.]

6 hours ago, TheGoon said:

What is he doing that the rest of us are missing? It’s bizarre. Maybe just values his weird runs out of defence. 

I think managers see a big, mobile, left-sided centre-half, who has a decent touch on the ball.

Then they convince themselves they can somehow coach the general brainlessness out of him.

Then they look at the other options available; then they sign him.

You could say something similar about Fjortoft, who’s younger and has more room for improvement; managers at this level will be telling themselves he just has to gain a wee bit of composure and lose the tendency to dive in 10-20 yards in front of his own box when he’s not going to win the ball. Might happen, might not.

As above, will be some laugh (esp. McGinty) if they line up against us next season.

10 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I think managers see a big, mobile, left-sided centre-half, who has a decent touch on the ball.

Then they convince themselves they can somehow coach the general brainlessness out of him.

You could say something similar about Fjortoft, who’s younger and has more room for improvement; managers at this level will be telling themselves he just has to gain a wee bit of composure and lose the tendency to dive in 10-20 yards in front of his own box when he’s not going to win the ball. Might happen, might not.

As above, will be some laugh (esp. McGinty) if they line up against us next season.

Hes got an incredibly small head, so will be difficult to coach anything in or out of it.

11 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I generally agree with what you're saying here, but McGinty and Fjortoft are both 27. You're technically right that Fjortoft is younger, but there's not really an age factor here. A very different career path, though. It could be argued that Fjortoft is lacking in the type of game experience that McGinty has - I agree there's more room for improvement for him in that respect. 

4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

It could be argued that Fjortoft is lacking in the type of game experience that McGinty has

Is that the experience of being passed on to diddier and diddier clubs every season?

5 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I generally agree with what you're saying here, but McGinty and Fjortoft are both 27. You're technically right that Fjortoft is younger, but there's not really an age factor here. A very different career path, though. It could be argued that Fjortoft is lacking in the type of game experience that McGinty has - I agree there's more room for improvement for him in that respect. 

Wow... I had assumed that Fjortoft, even though he spent a few years in the US college system, was younger. Even though he's looked good on occasion -- and there's a goal in him -- that makes me even less bothered about him leaving: a young guy in that position maybe gets a free pass for the kind of thing we saw at Montrose (and the general tendency to dive in), but it should be long gone by now. There might still be some improvement in him, but we're not exactly in 'Tony Adams' territory here (for younger viewers, a total joke of a player at 21... and just about the best you'll see at 30). 'Centre-half syndrome', or something like that.

(Goes without saying that McGinty's tendency to switch off completely should also be long gone and is even more of a problem.)

In anticipation of tomorrow's 'announcements', I'll say again: who we keep is only one half of the equation; you don't know if it's a good or bad decision until you see who we get as replacement.

Gut feeling is that there will be one or two surprises (cue full-on seethe): new contracts for Oliver and old-man McLean incoming....

It's amazing how wee spells when Morton are quiet can seem like the most encouraging times of all (if you don't do anything, you can't f**k it up): offloading players to Ayr, Peter Grant going from finishing bottom to [checks for the seventh time] managing Dunfermline...

Let's hope we're still smiling tomorrow...

On 22/05/2021 at 06:53, The Ghost of B A R P said:

[*I’m here for the absolute seething lolz when McGinty signs for Ayr or QoS... or Thistle.]

Man, you absolutely nailed this.

Morton fans must be having a real laugh about Ayr just signing two guys who were basically pish for you and another who was not that greatly thought of.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Man, you absolutely nailed this.

Morton fans must be having a real laugh about Ayr just signing two guys who were basically pish for you and another who was not that greatly thought of.

This ties in to our new business plan of quality over quantity, A lesson learned from Hopkin’s mass dross signings.