The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

At least you’ve gotten over it though. 

That’s the main thing. 

I have indeed. And I've done it without using words like 'gotten' - pretending I'm American. Come on laddie - up your game. We're supposed to be Scots.

Y'all have a nice day now.

Edited by Chippyminton

2 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

I have indeed. And I've done it without using words like 'gotten' - pretending I'm American. Y'all have a nice day now.

Nae bother Charlie.

IMG_4744.jpeg

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I hope you're right.. and therefore that I'm utterly wrong.

I suppose I'm just a bit spooked by the fact that Ayr could (and chose to) blast us out of the water for Oakley. When their supporters were going on about possibly signing Strapp last season, I thought they were deranged. But here we are.

With them spending more, Falkirk replacing Arbroath, and possibly six of the remaining teams already ahead of us on wages, it does look harder this time around.

Kudos Sports Management were promoting Oakley as “our guy” for a fair few months at the start of the year Would not be unnatural to assume they were actively seeking opportunities for him during last season.  Be interesting to know what their turn on the Ayr deal was and whether Morton would have been expected to pay similar if he extended with us.

I haven’t seen anything in which Oakley acknowledges the part Dougie played in dragging him from obscurity and that is almost as shocking as the shite he has been spouting about his regard for Brown and little Ayr. Badly done Georgie boy. 

3 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Fair play to the man. What a shame Gutless George wasn't as enlightened. I look forward to him returning to his hopeless Inverness-level form before being plucked out of obscurity and having his career completely turned around by Dougie Imrie. Given the indisputable evidence of the last 4 years, I look forward to watching plucky wee Ayr get to grips with the fact that a stellar racehorse will rapidly become a donkey unless it has an outstanding trainer.

I'm really looking forward to that .............

................... but not as much as I'm looking forward to GG coming knocking on the Cappielow door this time next year, begging Dougie for his old job back.

It's unlikely he'll be knocking on the Cappielow door next year when he's on a 2 year deal at Ayr and on double the wages a tin pot club like Morten offered.

24 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Do Ayr fans really think that they - a club who has never won a major trophy and who has finished below us 16 out of the last 20 years - are a bigger club than us? 🤣

Q: What's the difference between Third Lanark and Greenock Morton?

A: While Thirds had a far more impressive trophy haul, they didn't feel the need to start calling themselves "Glasgow Third Lanark" in order to desperately reel in locals who didn't even know they existed.

35 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Do Ayr fans really think that they - a club who has never won a major trophy and who has finished below us 16 out of the last 20 years - are a bigger club than us? 🤣

Where does that leave you with regards St Mirren? 😂 

The closest you got to seeing anything of historical significance was buying our old Love st stand.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Q: What's the difference between Third Lanark and Greenock Morton?

A: While Thirds had a far more impressive trophy haul, they didn't feel the need to start calling themselves "Glasgow Third Lanark" in order to desperately reel in locals who didn't even know they existed.

Q: What's the difference between Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Ayr United

A: While both clubs are pathetic franchise amalgamation disgraces, Inverness has at least not spent 114 years in obscurity with zero major trophy wins

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Q: What's the difference between Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Ayr United

A: While both clubs are pathetic franchise amalgamation disgraces, Inverness has at least not spent 114 years in obscurity with zero major trophy wins

114 years of obscurity versus 102 years of obscurity (only narrowly averting a longer period of shame with a cup win during an era in which most men in their 20s were missing at least one limb) is a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb, isn't it? Except in this case one of the bald men has substantially more money, higher gates, sexier fans etc.

Edited by Thumper

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

114 years of obscurity versus 102 years of obscurity (only narrowly averting a longer period of shame with a cup win during an era in which most men in their 20s were missing at least one limb) is a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb, isn't it? Except in this case one of the bald men has substantially more money, higher gates, sexier fans etc.

Higher gates 😂 Well done on beating our average attendance by 50 last season. I think that makes it 5 out of the last 20 seasons you've managed it. Hang that in your trophy room.

Edited by Jives Miguel

5 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Fair play to the man. What a shame Gutless George wasn't as enlightened. I look forward to him returning to his hopeless Inverness-level form before being plucked out of obscurity and having his career completely turned around by Dougie Imrie. Given the indisputable evidence of the last 4 years, I look forward to watching plucky wee Ayr get to grips with the fact that a stellar racehorse will rapidly become a donkey unless it has an outstanding trainer.

I'm really looking forward to that .............

................... but not as much as I'm looking forward to GG coming knocking on the Cappielow door this time next year, begging Dougie for his old job back.

I'm cringing at this post in all honesty.  Jesus christ.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ayr had already been comfortably outspending us and taking players off our hands for years though, it's just that thanks to good recruitment on our part in one case (we've done well with goalkeepers so not missed McAdams) and David Hopkin wanting to sign absolute shite like McGinty, Fjortoft and Salkeld in the others it hasn't had any negative impact on us. This isn't anything new financially, just another club becoming more competent with their recruitment.

C'mon...

You know very well that if Fjortoft, Salkeld, or McGinty had come back to Morton looking for a counter-offer, they'd have received the grand sum of 'aye, see ye later'. And we were such a shambles at that point you wouldn't have been surprised to lose players for the same money.

You also know that Oakley, a player Imrie was desperate to keep, going to Ayr fkn Utd for (allegedly) 1 and 1/2 times his wage* takes us into new territory.

It very much is something new.

[*Edited to add: actually, 1 and 1/2 times his new and apparently 'generous' offer.]

2 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Kudos Sports Management were promoting Oakley as “our guy” for a fair few months at the start of the year Would not be unnatural to assume they were actively seeking opportunities for him during last season.  Be interesting to know what their turn on the Ayr deal was and whether Morton would have been expected to pay similar if he extended with us.

I haven’t seen anything in which Oakley acknowledges the part Dougie played in dragging him from obscurity and that is almost as shocking as the shite he has been spouting about his regard for Brown and little Ayr. Badly done Georgie boy. 

Agree he made a total arse of it, but money talks, and he won't be giving a f**k.

Regardless of the agency, I fear the hat-trick at Tannadice and the televised goal against Motherwell in the cup took him into a different wage range. Fully expected him to be away, just not to Ayr (see above).

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

1 hour ago, Buckfast said:

It's unlikely he'll be knocking on the Cappielow door next year when he's on a 2 year deal at Ayr and on double the wages a tin pot club like Morten offered.

Little Ayr can't call anyone tinpot I'm afraid.  You're getting ideas above your station thanks to your rich investor but as we know only too well it'll all come crashing down eventually.  Know your place.

29 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Where does that leave you with regards St Mirren? 😂 

The closest you got to seeing anything of historical significance was buying our old Love st stand.

I don't think any Morton fan would argue that St Mirren aren't the bigger club.

13 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Little Ayr can't call anyone tinpot I'm afraid.  You're getting ideas above your station thanks to your rich investor but as we know only too well it'll all come crashing down eventually.  Know your place.

Our benefactor has built a hub and hospitality suites among other things that are raking loads of cash into the club now, when he goes the infrastructure will still be there generating cash for years to come. Morton on the other hand will be hoping to raise their cash on the goodwill of the supporters and a few sponsors who could disappear at the drop of a hat.

Jesus f**k. This thread has turned into a right laugh 👀.

Premier sports group

St. Johnstone 

Morton

Alloa

East Fife

Brechin

Decent draw and all winnable games with a good opportunity to progress

On 27/05/2024 at 18:52, ayrunitedfw said:

IMG_0009.gif

Banter was as far from my mind as talent is from Broadfoot's contribution to football. We've lost 4 players with genuine quality and re-signed a guy who doesn't possess a single ounce of the stuff. I was expressing my absolute disgust at the situation!

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Our benefactor has built a hub and hospitality suites among other things that are raking loads of cash into the club now, when he goes the infrastructure will still be there generating cash for years to come. Morton on the other hand will be hoping to raise their cash on the goodwill of the supporters and a few sponsors who could disappear at the drop of a hat.

Showing your ignorance here.   There are already plans to develop the area between the Norseman and the cowshed to generate income outwith matchdays.  Imries budget has been curtailed to an extent to accomodate this.  Whether or not your new hospitality area will justify throwing money around the way you are long term remains to be seen.

Morton have turned a healthy profit for the past couple of years now.  Out of curiosity did Ayr? 

Edited by LargsTON

33 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Morton have turned a healthy profit for the past couple of years now.  Out of curiosity did Ayr? 

Yes. None of Ayr's capital expenditures hit Ayr's balance sheet. (On that note, neither did any of the assets thus generated, but that's a story for another day.) The season before last, the club not only finished second but then also got six times as much for their top scorer as they did by miraculously conning John Hughes into paying money for Joe Chalmers.

Sugar daddies are a mercurial and finite resource, but the simple fact is that right now Ayr have one and Morten don't. Which is pleasing.

35 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Yes. None of Ayr's capital expenditures hit Ayr's balance sheet. (On that note, neither did any of the assets thus generated, but that's a story for another day.) The season before last, the club not only finished second but then also got six times as much for their top scorer as they did by miraculously conning John Hughes into paying money for Joe Chalmers.

Sugar daddies are a mercurial and finite resource, but the simple fact is that right now Ayr have one and Morten don't. Which is pleasing.

We know seeing as we're not long out the Rae era.  We also know it's not always rosy at the other side.