Rachel Dolezal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3121061/Local-NAACP-leader-professor-African-studies-outed-WHITE-parents-convincing-community-black-years.html

Really strange story from the States, where it turns out an NAACP leader who is also a part time professor of African Studies has been outed as having zero black ancestry.

In her defence, she said "We're all from the African continent..."

I'm not expert and I'm not going to click the daily mail link, but I'm guessing not being black doesn't stop you being in the NAACP or teaching African studies.

There is the whole 'race is a social construct' hing too...

Aye, apologies for the Mail link, was the first one that came to hand. For me though the cultural appropriation of the entire black experience that she's made is fairly bizarre, and perhaps even a bit insulting to African-Americans who have genuinely lived it.

We're now used to the idea that the concept of gender is a fluid one which is all down to what a person identifies as - it raises the question should race and ethnicity be one too when someone doen't come from a particular background?

Why is this news?

Clearly because a local leader of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People turns out to be white, as well as being a deluded loony who's public life is a total lie.

Spokane is about 2% black and previous leaders of the NAACP in the city have been white.

However, I think that Rache Dolezal has actually claimed to be of black ancestry in articles and on her application form. There's also some suggestion that she fabricated racial incidents against herself, including hate mail. It's pretty strange and sad but it's not unprecedented. There are people who have falsely claimed to be Holocaust survivors or 9/11 widows. Human beings are capable of a wide range of bizarre behaviour.

Spokane is about 2% black and previous leaders of the NAACP in the city have been white.

However, I think that Rache Dolezal has actually claimed to be of black ancestry in articles and on her application form. There's also some suggestion that she fabricated racial incidents against herself, including hate mail. It's pretty strange and sad but it's not unprecedented. There are people who have falsely claimed to be Holocaust survivors or 9/11 widows. Human beings are capable of a wide range of bizarre behaviour.

You'd know.

Archived