Georgia v Scotland

1320Lichtie

3 points away to Georgia and 4 from Germany/Poland and we should be qualifying; the Germans and Poles are beatable, especially at home.

I was checking to see if that scenario would put us through beyond doubt. Let's say we beat Poland and draw with Germany. That would put us on 21 points.

Excluding their game against each other, Poland would pick up 6 to move onto 20 and Germany would pick up 7 to move on to 20.

In the Germany Poland game, a win for either would put us through. A draw would move us all on to 21 and bring it down to a mini-league between the 3 of us, which would look like...

Scotland - 5

Poland - 5

Germany - 5

It would then come down to goal difference between the 3 of us, meaning we would go through because the worst we could have is 0 (beating Poland by 1 goal), whereas Germany would have to be on -1 at best (2-0 defeat in Warsaw, 1 goal win against us in Dortmund) and Poland would be on +1.

If we beat Germany and drew with Poland then we'd be on 21, the Poles would be on 21 and the Germans would be on 19, not counting their head to head. Any result would put us through.

So aye, 6 from the diddies and 4 from the Poland/Germany double header would put us through no matter what.

Also, if we were to only get 3 points from those games and finished 3rd, we'd have a very good chance of being the best 3rd place team I reckon.

Now, whether any of that happens is another story. :P

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offence boys. All we need to do is beat georgia and poland. Ffs when will some o you learn. We should have went for three points sat. I fear that 1-1 might come back to haunt us come end o campaign.

Even if we had won on Saturday we'd have needed to beat Georgia and Poland

My predictions;

Georgia- away win

Germany- draw

Poland- home win

Gibralter- away win.

That certainly guarantees qualification and to go through a whole campaign with only one defeat would be something special aswell. I'm not as nervous as some about this Georgia game, they are utterly rank rotten and I fully expect a comfortable away win. Teams have struggled to cope with our quick passing that have led to our goals.

Even if we had won on Saturday we'd have needed to beat Georgia and Poland

Failing to go for the win hurts us for pot two in wc qualifiers tho....could be costly and unnecessarily so...roi were there to beaten.

We've scored against Poland/Ireland and Germany away that's cause for optimism. Surely we can get a goal here and keep it tight at the other end.

This is when the boys have to step up and do the business. Hampden would be fucking bouncing on the Monday night for the visit of the Germans.

I think it'll go the way of the Macedonia game away in the last campaign. Create good chances in the first half but go in at 0-0. Take the lead after an hour, they equalise with 10 to go then we get a goal with 7 or 8 to play.

Glorious.

I think it'll go the way of the Macedonia game away in the last campaign. Create good chances in the first half but go in at 0-0. Take the lead after an hour, they equalise with 10 to go then we get a goal with 7 or 8 to play.

Glorious.

Was just about to say exactly the same thing. Feels like a very similar level of opposition. Only difference is that we played without fear of failure that night, whereas this time everything is riding on it.

No offence boys. All we need to do is beat georgia and poland. Ffs when will some o you learn. We should have went for three points sat. I fear that 1-1 might come back to haunt us come end o campaign.

Of course we could have won that game, but overall, picking up 4 points from the Ireland game is excellent. Poland and Germany have already dropped points to Ireland and can only match our total against them.

Very few teams actually come away from Dublin with a win.

As I've said before, it's ridiculous what a bit of improvement does to people's expectations. Nobody has won an away game in this group that wasn't against Georgia or Gibraltar.

At 1-1 on Saturday, do you push for the win and risk getting beat so we can get pot 2, or do you stick to make sure that we've taken 4 points from Ireland, and take a massive step in front of them in the race for 3rd?

Of course we could've won, but you have to prioritise the short term over the possibility of pot 2. The way Ireland were playing, I'd have much rather gone defensive and thrown someone like Berra on who can defend the endless long balls than Naismith. It's not as if WGS came to draw - we came to win it, but didn't perform beyond a 20-30 minute spell.

A draw remains a good result, if not a great one.

Of course we could have won that game, but overall, picking up 4 points from the Ireland game is excellent. Poland and Germany have already dropped points to Ireland and can only match our total against them.

Very few teams actually come away from Dublin with a win.

As I've said before, it's ridiculous what a bit of improvement does to people's expectations. Nobody has won an away game in this group that wasn't against Georgia or Gibraltar.

However Poland and roi have taken points off Germany which we haven't and we on recent form dont really look like doing.Results in other games haven't gone our way and it once we had equalised against them we should have been bit more positive against roi. We haven't really played well in a while now....hoping summer will recharge batteries and everyone else's optimism is well placed. ...I'll fully admit to being old enough to be glass half empty sort.

Is the "pick up abroad" thing intended to stop SSC members buying a ticket for every game just to keep their points high?

In a nutshell yes. My brother got it in Dortmund, but other than that I've never had one or known someone to get chosen.

In a nutshell yes. My brother got it in Dortmund, but other than that I've never had one or known someone to get chosen.

Seem to pick on me! 3 times I've been chosen in the last 7 games

Archived