Budget Greece trips

paul-r-cfc

Been on the trip adviser forums to suss out what is happening over there just now.

From what I'm seeing, there doesn't appear to be much of a problem in the resorts for using ATMs. A lot of small businesses are refusing credit cards, but that was always the case.

I withdrew 200 euros nae bother last night

I've been in Rhodes for over 2 weeks now.

It's been a bit of a c**t because I had a heart attack last week so that's interrupted things a tad.

I wouldn't advise anyone to just load up a card - nobody is really interested in taking them. We've had to find new accommodation while I was in hospital and the wife had to pay cash up front.

Other than that it's fine for tourists. You can see that the economy is dire if you look for the signs and Mrs HTG has seen some of real life Greece on buses to the hospital which go through areas we wouldn't see otherwise. But that's no different to what a tourist would find in Edinburgh if they fucked off out to the hinterland.

We got a belting late deal to come out here. Check Olympic Holidays. They're not plush but they're not completely shite and they are pretty much giving the accommodation for free.

Scrap that. Mrs HTG just back from cash point and there's no money in it. So it's a case of pot luck.

Also I'm now being flown to Athens and the boy in the hotel says that's a different kettle of fish altogether. There are proper issues there. My insurance were going to put me in a general hospital to get an angiogram but they can't take the risk as things are just now.

Scrap that. Mrs HTG just back from cash point and there's no money in it. So it's a case of pot luck.

Also I'm now being flown to Athens and the boy in the hotel says that's a different kettle of fish altogether. There are proper issues there. My insurance were going to put me in a general hospital to get an angiogram but they can't take the risk as things are just now.

If the insurance company is flying you to Athens you'd think they could just fly you home to free health care?

We got a belting late deal to come out here. Check Olympic Holidays. They're not plush but they're not completely shite and they are pretty much giving the accommodation for free.

I quite like Olympic holidays. As you say they are not plush but for the price you pay you really can't complain. As long as it's clean and the pool is decent I'm pretty happy.

If the insurance company is flying you to Athens you'd think they could just fly you home to free health care?

I wondered that but it's an air ambulance and the cost of a flight to Athens is about a tenth of the cost of a flight to the UK. If i were them I'd just fire me on a Thomson flight to Glasgow and sort the problem in 4 hours flat. But I assume they handle these things the same way whether you suffered a bit of discomfort or went down like a stone.

The insurance company should have done all this about 6 days ago but they fucked about massively and only when the Consulate went fuckin mental did they get their act together.

Get good insurance and find out who the health care partner is!

Just been on the phone to Thomsons. As I've said before, we use one of those prepaid cards from them, the ones you add money to and just go to a hole in the wall.

They are still saying 'take money' and not to trust any ATM or Greek bank.

So it's back up to €1.37 today folks, fill yer boots!

Prices haven't really lowered but once you get there, things are meant to be cheap.

Half the fun is going out to out of the way local Tavernas, you sure AI for Greece is what you are looking for?

Also all your cash is likely to go straight in the pockets of German bankers instead of helping the local economy.

Archived