So basically I have my CCNA 200-120 exam on July 24th and was wondering if any one has done it before and had any study tips on what I should concentrate on. I have just finished third year at Uni doing Networking with a 1:1 but I feel that it isnt really related in term of knowledge required for the exam. Been on placement for half of 3rd year and they think I can pass easy but I have always been a bit of a doubter. I have currently got the ICND 1( latest verson) book and an outdated ICND 2 plus I have been doing practise exams on measureup.

I'm sure I spoke with a couple guys on this forum or GN that were in this sector of computing who were more experienced and could probably be very helpful ( think one was a ger and one was an Alloa/Dumbarton/Livi fan?) but if anybody has got any useful study tips that have worked for them then I'd be happy to know!

I put this in E-chat because I think more computing based tips could be benefical :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically I have my CCNA 200-120 exam on July 24th and was wondering if any one has done it before and had any study tips on what I should concentrate on. I have just finished third year at Uni doing Networking with a 1:1 but I feel that it isnt really related in term of knowledge required for the exam. Been on placement for half of 3rd year and they think I can pass easy but I have always been a bit of a doubter. I have currently got the ICND 1( latest verson) book and an outdated ICND 2 plus I have been doing practise exams on measureup.

I'm sure I spoke with a couple guys on this forum or GN that were in this sector of computing who were more experienced and could probably be very helpful ( think one was a ger and one was an Alloa/Dumbarton/Livi fan?) but if anybody has got any useful study tips that have worked for them then I'd be happy to know!

I put this in E-chat because I think more computing based tips could be benefical :)

I did the training for the CCNA exam about a decade ago, but never sat it because I'm a massive plonker. I knew a few folk who were doing practice exams and were finding them pretty gruelling, which doesn't necessarily mean much, as they tend to be a fair bit tougher than the actual tests.

It's been a long time, but I remember there being some good programs that would let you build your own logical network using fake Cisco equipment and configure it however you wanted, which is obviously good to practice with. I remember cabling being quite important too; knowing the different modules you could install in their routers and switches, and being able to connect the ports up correctly. I was well drilled on IP addressing, which would surely include IPv6 these days.

Depending on how much it costs these days, just study the given topics and get the damned thing sat. If you fail, you'll know what the gaps were for next time. It's easy to build these things up into something bigger than they are and psyche yourself out.

• 1 month later...

Not bad at all - back in the day, I knew lots of folk who didn't pass the first time, and you obviously weren't far off.

Hopefully you can work out which bits you need to brush up on and it'll be a skoosh next time :thumsup2

• 4 weeks later...

Passed it today with 945/1000. What a difference a month of studying makes :)

Well played champ. Hopefully a long career of well-paid scrabbling around on the floor in server rooms awaits :D

Archived