Kilmarnock v Dundee opening day.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well where to start? the team were absolutely brilliant today. That's the best away performance I have seen. Thomson and Harkins totally controlled the game, some of the passing from Thomson in the first 25 minutes was sublime. But a big difference from last year was the movement, control and pace of the front three, giving the midfield passing options. Greg was class throughout, Loy's touch and movement were superb, Hemming's pace caused havoc. A bit more composure and Kane would have been on the score sheet too. Both full backs provided great width going forward, fantastic cross from Holt for the second, excellent harrying from McGinn to win the ball in a dangerous area to set up the fourth. Ross never wasted a ball all day. It was pleasing that we were able to withdraw Thomson early with the match won, I just hope he can play as many games as possible, but it was also great to see Gowser back on the park after missing most of the pre-season.

Killie? The goalie had some great saves in the first half, especially the piledriver from Stewart. I really don't know if they were really that terrible, Dundee just didn't let them play, at least not until the second half when we took the foot off the pedal. I've seen enough dross at Dens over the years not to feel for the Killie fans I hope they can regroup. This was my first trip to Rugby Park for years, the ground is looking great, so too was the Killie pie.

As for Dundee, lets keep this up. A wonderful start but we have to keep going. A hard string of games coming up, with a tough derby in the middle of testing games against Hearts and St J. I'm not getting carried away, but today was a day to remember and savour. I'm hugely encouraged about the coming season; no doubt there will be ups and downs, but boy, what a start!

Those wee ned kids in the corner including Afroman ended up scrapping after the game with some of our boys. Pwoppa nawty. My boy got the footage on camera so if any of the boys involved want to see themselves in action it'll be a fiver per skull.

Really enjoyed that, obviously. Pass marks from everyone. Killie were very poor though, the gulf in class was evident from the first few minutes. Just as I was worrying that we might rue the many missed chances in the first half hour, Gorgeous Greg evades a few challenges and curls a cracker into the top corner.

As Rumps commented at half time, Killie just couldn't cope with the movement of our forward players, particularly Stewart. Their defence was all over the place. Thomson and Harkins were on the ball at will, looking to fire balls into the feet of the front three or clever diagonals to play them in. Ross was excellent, didn't give possession away once. Full backs were equally as good, at one point McGinn surged forward to play Holt in on the opposite side. Centre half pairing, which has caused stress all week, strolled it but were never tested. Bain had little to do but still gives everyone confidence by cleanly catching corners and being comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Only worry is the supporters getting carried away. As good as we were, we won't play against against many teams as poor as Killie were today. Bigger tests next Saturday against Hearts in front of a big crowd then Tannadice where we haven't won in fucking ages.

I'm still excited, though. Today was great. Only positive signs for a good season ahead.

Also spotted the bold dundeebarry down the front with his Yoko Ono, sorry lovely girlfriend.

Pie was superb, as always, as was Kyra who served me.

Anyway, get Alba on record now! Greg Stewart, OOFT!

Those wee ned kids in the corner including Afroman ended up scrapping after the game with some of our boys. Pwoppa nawty. My boy got the footage on camera so if any of the boys involved want to see themselves in action it'll be a fiver per skull.

What's the quality like?

Wasn't at the game today due to work (thank god) but whilst the scoreline is disappointing it doesn't surprise me.

Firstly, and I stated it on here, Dundee were the best team I watched us play last year due to their style and swagger. The movement of their front 3/4/5 and ability to interchange positions gave us no end of trouble both on the opening day last year and also when they visited Rugby Park. Hartley deserves great praise for this style as no doubt it will lead to a few hammerings across the season but he is brave to play this way. Dundee were also much sharper than us based on the radio commentary today and again that was mirrored last season and is something I am very worried about.

However, there will be times when one team is horrible and another is sensational and as a result I'm not too worried by the scoreline. We beat Dundee Utd 2 going on 4 or 5 nil at the start of last season when they still had all of their good players. That was just another night when one team was on it and another wasn't.

I'll give Locke a few games to get the team settled but he really should have that in place already with plenty of pre-season games. A lot of the team last season didn't seem to care and based on todays score it seems that this is still the case. I know this may be classed as out-of-touch but for us to get humped 4-0 at home and only have 1 yellow card is a joke. Players should be kicking others out of frustration at not being able to get the ball if nothing else.

Aberdeen away and Celtic at home next. THere are another 5 games in August and Locke (in my opinion) needs to have at least 9 points on the board by the end of the month to gain any sort of vote of confidence from me.

Video footage - HD quality

Fighting quality - not so much

A few of them started squaring up to a boy on his own outside tesco. But they got jelly legs and shat themselves when me and a couple pals went over.

Hard as nails

Dee fans that were there - were Killie worse than Motherwell's performance when we beat them (Home or away your choice) last season? Because that was up there with the worst opposition I've seen.

Well were worse than Killie in all three games we played them last season.We were far better than we were in those games. Motherwell's defence were completely disorganised in those games and didn't even have any fight. At least Killie kept trying. If Killie had been as poor as Motherwell were it would have been a real hiding against today's Dundee performance.

Archived