William Hill Scottish Cup 2015-16 - Big Thread

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talbot have played in the tournament 4 times before, losing to 3 SPFL clubs plus Edinburgh City. Championship club Raith Rovers (entering R3) have played a Junior club once, beating Linlithgow Rose 2-0.

So objectively I'd doubt it's apprehension at the thought of meeting you.

Incidentally, to answer my earlier pondering, the last Aberdeen derby in the Scottish Cup appears to have been Aberdeen v Orion on 6th September 1890. So over 125yrs.

Talbot have played in the tournament 4 times before, losing to 3 SPFL clubs plus Edinburgh City. Championship club Raith Rovers (entering R3) have played a Junior club once, beating Linlithgow Rose 2-0.

So objectively I'd doubt it's apprehension at the thought of meeting you.

Incidentally, to answer my earlier pondering, the last Aberdeen derby in the Scottish Cup appears to have been Aberdeen v Orion on 6th September 1890. So over 125yrs.

No doubt he's another one who thinks Junior clubs shouldn't be in it.

Although why he felt the need just to pick Talbot out all the Junior teams is a bit strange.

Although why he felt the need just to pick Talbot out all the Junior teams is a bit strange.

I'm fine with any club being in it providing they have the facilities particularly floodlights. It took numerous attempts to get Lochee Utd v Ayr United game played with 1pm ko Monday/Wednesday

I'm fine with any club being in it providing they have the facilities particularly floodlights. It took numerous attempts to get Lochee Utd v Ayr United game played with 1pm ko Monday/Wednesday

Plenty of ties are postponed from the so called bigger clubs.

Should we ban every club who don't have undersoil heating?

What difference does the ko time have?

The Junior clubs were invited to enter they did not ask or beg to be in it.

Clearly the SFA must have thought they were needed to make the early rounds more interesting.

Floodlights are a requirement for a step above the entry level licence criteria and entry level is sufficient to qualify for the Scottish Cup. So that's just a grin and bear it scenario when it happens on the very rare occasion. Moreover there was a vote taken that any club entering had to have minimum of entry level licence and that was defeated so there doesn't seem to be an appetite to go down this road.

The Junior clubs were invited to enter they did not ask or beg to be in it.

Clearly the SFA must have thought they were needed to make the early rounds more interesting.

In fairness that's nonsense. SJFA had been lobbying to try to get teams in the Scottish Cup for some time - and David Taylor wanted to get them in as a carrot before involvement in a pyramid system. (That idea turned-out well :lol:). Taylor's first attempt was to replace the 12 random byes in the old R1 with the Qualifying Cup North & South quarter-finalists plus 4 Junior qualifiers... however this was defeated: the SFA membership had objections to 4 non-members qualifying when half of the non-league seniors members still would not, and there was no mechanism for the senior non-members in the EOS and SOS leagues which was seen as unfair.

Following year Taylor came back with an 'all-in' format plus ability of EOS & SOS league winners to qualify, and it passed.

Ergo - reorganisation in 2007 was directly inspired by requests, desires and wants of including Juniors, and wasn't news to SJFA.

As regards floodlights I don't see why they should be mandatory. They aren't required for entry licensing either. We all know the archaic situation in the Juniors regarding the use of artificial light - although 2 of this years Junior entrants actually have them! - but there were also 8 Seniors without them among the 92 clubs entering, mostly from the EOS/SOS/NCFL leagues, plus Harestanes at Kilsyth.

Indeed there were 6 clubs in yesterday's draw without floodlights and only 3 of them were Juniors.

Considering that one of the biggest objections to the Lowland League from Junior sides is that 'joke clubs' like BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld Colts are in it, I'm assuming the point is that it would be hilarious to see a team like that defeat one of the biggest Junior clubs in the country.

Considering that one of the biggest objections to the Lowland League from Junior sides is that 'joke clubs' like BSC Glasgow and Cumbernauld Colts are in it, I'm assuming the point is that it would be hilarious to see a team like that defeat one of the biggest Junior clubs in the country.

Wont happen though.

I don't consider them joke clubs just clubs with no real tradition but who have came along at the right time to take advantage of a joke system.

Exactly that. I think the Junior clubs as a whole collective attitude stinks and I want the floor to be wiped with them whenever they play a Lowland League side. Ambitious clubs like BSC were mocked by fans of the likes of Talbot. Would love to see them come to the realisation that these team have left them behind. Maybe they'd think twice next time applications open.

As for me scared of facing Talbot? That's cute, it really is. Awwww. Seriously, one of most out of form Raith teams managed by a complete buffoon breezed past Linlithgow

Exactly that. I think the Junior clubs as a whole collective attitude stinks and I want the floor to be wiped with them whenever they play a Lowland League side. Ambitious clubs like BSC were mocked by fans of the likes of Talbot. Would love to see them come to the realisation that these team have left them behind. Maybe they'd think twice next time applications open.

As for me scared of facing Talbot? That's cute, it really is. Awwww. Seriously, one of most out of form Raith teams managed by a complete buffoon breezed past Linlithgow

BSC who are they?

Certainly nowhere near as big a club as Auchinleck

Wont happen though.

I don't consider them joke clubs just clubs with no real tradition but who have came along at the right time to take advantage of a joke system.

Why not?

There's a far bigger gulf between Morton and Spartans than between BSC and Auchinleck. Surely that's the whole point of cup football.

Why not?

There's a far bigger gulf between Morton and Spartans than between BSC and Auchinleck. Surely that's the whole point of cup football.

Would be willing to bet a week's wages Auchinleck will stroll this tie.

I also think the attitude stinks but let's not get caught up in the emotion of it all eh. Raith were more than matched. It happens in cup ties.

Would be willing to bet a week's wages Auchinleck will stroll this tie.

Good for you. I'm not prepared to bet a week's wages on an underdog, I'm not that rich or stupid.

Maybe I just rate the Lowland League a bit higher than I should after watching Spartans knock Morton out of last season's tournament. Could you remind me what league Talbot's conquerors came from? Surely not a "joke system"?

Good for you. I'm not prepared to bet a week's wages on an underdog, I'm not that rich or stupid.

Maybe I just rate the Lowland League a bit higher than I should after watching Spartans knock Morton out of last season's tournament. Could you remind me what league Talbot's conquerors came from? Surely not a "joke system"?

When the bookies prices come out you will see it is not Auchinleck who are the underdogs.

Auchinleck are a bigger and better club than made up fc from Glasgow.

When the bookies prices come out you will see it is not Auchinleck who are the underdogs.

Auchinleck are a bigger and better club than made up fc from Glasgow.

Of course Auchinleck will be favourites, hence my point that I wouldn't be taking you up on your bet of a week's wages on the outcome of the tie :1eye .

Archived