Question about transferring money to someone's Paypal on Ebay

About to spend quite a bit of cash on a pair of trainers on Ebay I've been looking at for a while and I'm getting a small discount after fucking up the 3 best price offers because it was the first time I've tried it.

The guy's asked me to send the money to his Paypal. Not sure how this works and waiting to hear back from him. Not a big Ebay user tbh what do I need to do/ask for to avoid me just transferring cash and never hearing back from him? His feedback for similar sales is excellent btw.

About to spend quite a bit of cash on a pair of trainers on Ebay I've been looking at for a while and I'm getting a small discount after fucking up the 3 best price offers because it was the first time I've tried it.

The guy's asked me to send the money to his Paypal. Not sure how this works and waiting to hear back from him. Not a big Ebay user tbh what do I need to do/ask for to avoid me just transferring cash and never hearing back from him? His feedback for similar sales is excellent btw.

If it's a buy it now item just click on the tab then follow the procedure from there.

You are fully protected through PayPal if you don't receive your item or never hear from him again.

If you have any queries ask him.... a good seller will answer you.

Send it to his email account and use the 'Goods' section, he may ask you to add 4% to the price to cover any fees from his end. Always use the goods selection, never send through friends and family as you're not covered if he does a runner with your money.

Cheers. It's only a tenner off I'm getting so will probably just forward the full amount and wait for him to send the cash back. Was prepared to pay full amount anyway so if he doesn't sort the tenner it's no great loss and it'll affect his feedback. Tried amending amount on Paypal after clicking buy it now, don;t think it's possible.

Can someone explain at what stage Paypal charges 4-5%? Is it when you remove the cash and transfer it to your personal bank account?

I'm wondering because I've just sold a jacket at pretty much the same price as the trainers so wondering if I can transfer the jacket money from my Paypal to the seller of the trainers Paypal avoiding the 4% rather than paying from my personal account to Paypal to seller

It all depends, if the money is sent to you for 'goods' the 4% will be taken before you can even touch it, through Friends and Family, there's no fees. If you'be sold your jacket through eBay, you'll be done with two sets of fees.

If you've sold the jacket you will get the full payment via PayPal minus the fee and will receive an invoice towards the end of the month for the listing charges.

Same goes for the seller of the shoes.

You can't avoid any charges unfortunately.

Best thing IMO is to send the full payment and leave a note requesting the partial refund as agreed. If they have good feedback just trust it. Usually is a good guide.

Cheers. Just got payment for jacket and saw they deduct 3.4% before it reaches the account. Just seen another pair of the trainers I'm after up for auction but waiting to get a legit check from another forum before bidding. Assuming they're good I'll wait and see what price they go for as the other guy hasn;t got back in touch about the tenner discount.

Cheers. Just got payment for jacket and saw they deduct 3.4% before it reaches the account. Just seen another pair of the trainers I'm after up for auction but waiting to get a legit check from another forum before bidding. Assuming they're good I'll wait and see what price they go for as the other guy hasn;t got back in touch about the tenner discount.

Ask him to send you an invoice with the amount you have agreed to pay, don't pay until he sends you the invoice through Ebay.

DO NOT send money to his PayPal account out with Ebay itself, you will be taking a gamble on your money. I should know. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Ask him to send you an invoice with the amount you have agreed to pay, don't pay until he sends you the invoice through Ebay.

DO NOT send money to his PayPal account out with Ebay itself, you will be taking a gamble on your money. I should know. :(

In fairness there are a fair few canutes on eBay. Bought something for the kids pram and the wife never bothered her arse sending it. Had a look at her negative ratings after a while and she'd sold a pram twice over without shipping and something else without shipping. Fortunately, I wasn't fleeced as bad as those guys.

Most sellers are fine to deal with. Buyers on the other hand........

Archived