Short term superstars

Eric Skora would probably count for this. Signed on loan from Preston and played 18 games in the second half of the 03/04 season. He was one of the most talented guys I've ever seen playing for us, and we tried hard to sign him permanently but couldn't afford him. He went back to Preston but had problems with injuries and couldn't ever hold down a place.

We eventually signed him back in 2006 but he basically spent two years on the treatment table, only coming on for a brief cameo at the end of a game against Hearts. I'm not sure Rugby Park has ever seen an ovation like the one he got when he ran on to the park that day.

He scored one of the best Killie goals of my lifetime in a game against Celtic at Parkhead - we were about 14-0 down and he chipped Rab Douglas from the edge of the box for a consolation goal. I've never been able to find that goal again - I even chased up a contact in the SPFL and got him to hunt their archives, but they had no luck.

Great shout which I completely forgot about.

In terms of that goal, a poster on Killiefc.com has it as an avatar. Find it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Blackman. 10 goals in 18 games for the Mighty Well, tearing up the league then that snide c**t Craig Brown took him to Aberdeen where he did almost nothing. Since then he banged in goals for Sheffield Utd and got signed by Reading but hasn't broken into the starting line up.

I think that's a good shout, especially as up until Gannon arrived, my memory was that we had a terrible record with loans - Ruddy and Jutciewicz put that one to bed and Blackman was another very decent one. I think Faddy in his short spell when he first returned and McDonald for last season Feb-Jun must be good candidates too.

Blackman was shite for us.

The team as a whole were pretty shite at that point, no? His form definately went off a cliff when he headed up the road for whatever reason.

Marius Niculae was a shameless mercenary who was indulged by our then-chairman, but he was also beautiful to watch on his day (which came against Killie).

I remember getting terribly over-excited when he came on as a sub for Romania during a Euro finals game in 2008 and 'Marius Niculae - Inverness' came up on the screen. Predictably, Romania got horsed and Mark Bright, who was co-commentating, said 'that's what you get when you play players from Inverness at this level', the c**t. :(

Never liked Niculae at all, probably in a minority but just felt he couldnt be arsed at times

The team as a whole were pretty shite at that point, no? His form definately went off a cliff when he headed up the road for whatever reason.

I seem to remember reading that he didn't want to go there as he was enjoying Glasgow, but Aberdeen offered more in terms of a contribution so was packed off there.

I'm chucking jeffers in here, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that liked him. Was supreme in the cup run.

My favourite for Killie was Tommy Johnson who was a relative success at Celtic and signed for us a few years later on a short term loan. He came in and scored a good few goals for us - highlight being a last minute equaliser against the old Rangers. I think he actually scored 2 goals in 5 minutes actually. He just wanted to shoot and was a breath of fresh air.

We scored two goals in injury time to snatch at 2-2.

First was Boyd.

Eddie Prudham in 1974. He scored five goals in four games on a month's trial. Bertie Auld was livid when Sheffield United sold him to Carlisle United for £35k, a fee that he said we would also have paid. The Jags were naive and should have signed up him up quickly.

post-38035-0-60540400-1413230265.jpg

Gregorz The Mad Monk Szamulatekifjdhjski.

Zero to cult legend in the space of about four games, then he got better and probably baldier.

No contest.

Signed on a six month deal, after he was recommended by Zaluska, who had broken his finger prior to the start of the season.

He came in, and saved just, everything - it was insane!

Then when he was offered a longer contract, he turned it down, as he didn't want to play instead of his mate, Zaluska.

Der Wolf

wohl_1688587a.jpg

Steffen Wohlfarth, modelling the best County kit of the recent era.

His goal against Celtic was unforgettable.

After playing at county for half a season, he rejected a new deal and retired from football, at the age of 29...

Every player at County is a short term superstar given that they are all emptied after half a season :)

No contest.

Signed on a six month deal, after he was recommended by Zaluska, who had broken his finger prior to the start of the season.

He came in, and saved just, everything - it was insane!

Then when he was offered a longer contract, he turned it down, as he didn't want to play instead of his mate, Zaluska.

I mind we played United at Tannadice when he was in goals and like you say, he saved fucking everything that day absolutely everything. One of the most one sided 0-0's I've ever seen.

Der Wolf

wohl_1688587a.jpg

Steffen Wohlfarth, modelling the best County kit of the recent era.

His goal against Celtic was unforgettable.

After playing at county for half a season, he rejected a new deal and retired from football, at the age of 29...

I'm sure he scored twice against us at Tynecastle.

The Mad Monk - reasons already explained. Sure he saved a penalty against Hibs(?) and was jumping about celebrating whilst the ball was still pinging about the box.

Rory Boulding - utter horseshit but must have made us about 250k with his goal against Aberdeen.

Andy Webster - one single, absolutely majestic season.

Unfortunately for the ten years before them we had the opposite problem with long term carthorses.

Juan Ramon Escales. Played for us in the First Division about 8 years ago. Scored goals for fun up until November time when it got cold/his maw died then was barely seem after that. Pretty sure he had a good goalscoring record in the Spanish second tier and only signed for us because he was, erm, close to Oscar Rubio of Livi.

The header against Airdrie United - OOFT.

The Mad Monk - reasons already explained. Sure he saved a penalty against Hibs(?) and was jumping about celebrating whilst the ball was still pinging about the box.

Rory Boulding - utter horseshit but must have made us about 250k with his goal against Aberdeen.

Andy Webster - one single, absolutely majestic season.

Unfortunately for the ten years before them we had the opposite problem with long term carthorses.

Agree on the Andy Webster one (and the others) he was such a calming influence on the team!

But how could you forget about Karim Kerkar??!!

I mind we played United at Tannadice when he was in goals and like you say, he saved fucking everything that day absolutely everything. One of the most one sided 0-0's I've ever seen.

Grzegorz Szamotulski was our most significant short-term signing, considering our form for keepers after Andersson.

He was arguably more eccentric than Makabu-Ma-Kalambay and Małkowski; perhaps the most bizarre player & career since Burridge.

I remember his debut against Hearts; he came on for Maka, who was waving to be subbed after having a nightmare in the first half.

He made a couple of sensational saves before conceding late-on; the game was already over by half-time.

He had to get the defenders to take his goal-kicks because of his chronic injuries and/or kicking.

Rather than shout, he used to go over to Hogg & Bamba to say something and also enjoyed a leisurely stroll when we had possession.

But when it came down to the basics of keeping the ball out of the net, he was almost unbeatable.

Didier Agathe is arguably the best example of a 'short-term superstar'. He was signed on a three-month contract, scoring 4 goals in 5 league games.

After less than a month of games, Agathe was snapped up by Celtc in the same transfer window!

After missing a sitter in a goalless draw against Hearts, he scored two against Dundee United followed by another two against Dundee, a week later.

He also scored a brace against Hibs...

His first against Dundee is one of my favourite Hibs goals:

0:58

Lesser examples:

Marc Libbra was brought in on a short-term loan, several months after Agathe joined Celtc. He scored 5 goals in 10 league games.

I believe he struggled with fitness when he joined as he was usually limited to 30-60 minutes per game.

Nevertheless, he looked dangerous in the box and bagged three important goals and two pointless ones.

Craig Rocastle was brought in on a short-term loan from Chelsea and was impressive in midfield.

He was excellent alongside Beuzelin and held our midfield better than most players have done since the Millennium.

Antonio Murray was signed on a three-month contract to replace Rocastle.

He brought the play forward well, linking up effectively with the forwards/full-backs in an attack-minded side.

Murray suffered a serious injury shortly after signing a two-and-a-half year contract and only played once more before he was released.

edited: spelling mistake (Makabu-Ma-Kalambay)

Peter Lindau? Loved that guy. I was in the north stand against against Stirling when he scored THAT hat-trick. I was 13 or 14 and I remember the chuckle when at half time I got the fruit pastilles out. In other memories jean eve anis was shite.

Edit: Mind that kosovan lad at queens when we needed a point? I think lindau may of been in the team. Tommy Bryce came on as a sub for them. Clarification would be appreciated!!

P.s Quinton Jacobs, Namibian international ????

Archived