The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

17 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Not what I said at all. Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have won a fair bit more than any other club in Scotland outside the OF, so have perhaps earned the right to be known as a big 5 with them. But my wording of 'consistently' being successful requires context as was pointed out earlier. Wasn't a knock at Aberdeen as the amount of trophies they've won in a more condensed period is impressive. But Aberdeen's honours list at present, ranges from 1947-2014, of which majority of them all came in the 70's and 80's. Hearts' ranges from 1891-2012, and Hibs' from 1887-2016. There aren't many clubs in Scottish football with such a broad date range, from their oldest to their most recent successes, therefore have consistently been successful throughout Scottish football history.

You are correct about the majority, but the 3 Scottish Cups between 1998-2012 was a particularly impressive feat for its time. We also won 2 league titles and 4 Scottish Cups before the Titanic sank, so throughout the ages, we've been consistently a strong team. That's just of course silverware, which in Scottish football is generally rare. If we look at league placings, Hearts have never gone more than a few years without a top 3 finish save for a barren period between 1965 and 1986. As I said above, Aberdeen's trophy haul is impressive though considering the shorter time frame between successes.

A period of winning nothing for 50 years is not consistently being successful. 

However, 16 trophies in 149 years is a trophy every 9.3 years.

Aberdeen average is a trophy every 6.3 years. (120 years/19 trophies.)

Hibs' is a trophy every 14.8 years. (148 years/10 trophies.)

Next are Queen's Park, 15.6 years (156 years/10 trophies.)

Then everyone else.

Dumbarton and Third Lanark have better average years/trophy wins than bigger outfits. ( Dumbarton 50 years, Third Lanark 31.7 years.)

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Then everyone else.

Dumbarton and Third Lanark have better average years/trophy wins than bigger outfits. ( Dumbarton 50 years, Third Lanark 31.7 years.)

Hence the quotation marks. Neither of the 3 of us have probably been as successful as we perhaps should be, but in the context of Scottish football, there's no mistaking that we are historically the biggest 3 clubs outwith the Old Firm.

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Then everyone else.

You can do my stats at work. You make any old shite sound reasonable.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You can do my stats at work. You make any old shite sound reasonable.

I was a quantity surveyor. Give me figures and I can give you any answer you want...

Edited by Jacksgranda

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Like incredibly defensive, completely missing the point of the discussion.  We're here to slag off journalists; not each other over which clubs have won what.

Yeah, that's the thing - by a very quick scan through I see fans from Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts and a couple of others all talking about this, and the only one I can see being less than constructive is one who supports the national team. There are posts from Hearts fans saying the idea of top 5 is ridiculous and from non-Hearts fans saying it's a thing in some respects. And quite a few from you continuing the discussion, which seems odd if you'd rather it stayed strictly to slagging off journalists.

Just seemed an odd thing for you to say, really, and not backed up by the contents of the thread - not terribly important or anything.

16 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Anybody seen any good films recently?

About journalists (for MonkeyTennis).

It's an old one, but I hadn't seen it before last week, and it has journalists getting a kicking in it - The Damned United with Michael Sheen as Brian Clough.

Highly recommended if anyone else has managed to avoid seeing it before now.

51 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

It's an old one, but I hadn't seen it before last week, and it has journalists getting a kicking in it - The Damned United with Michael Sheen as Brian Clough.

Highly recommended if anyone else has managed to avoid seeing it before now.

What's this got to do with Aberdeen?

p.s. journalism is nice.

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

Yeah, that's the thing - by a very quick scan through I see fans from Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts and a couple of others all talking about this, and the only one I can see being less than constructive is one who supports the national team. There are posts from Hearts fans saying the idea of top 5 is ridiculous and from non-Hearts fans saying it's a thing in some respects. And quite a few from you continuing the discussion, which seems odd if you'd rather it stayed strictly to slagging off journalists.

Just seemed an odd thing for you to say, really, and not backed up by the contents of the thread - not terribly important or anything.

It's an odd thread in general. For example, slagging off journalists for making basic spelling errors seems to be a no-no.

1 hour ago, lennyzer0 said:

The main culprit was that guy with a number for a Username.  But then Connor1874 piled in with stuff about Aberdeen having just one brief golden age, and then Darren chimed in with some juvenile wee dig.  That was even before Vincent started.

None of it was relevant to the discussion.   

As you say, not a big deal, but the idea of slagging off other members of this 'Big 5' came from Hearts fans.  It was tiresome.