Raith v Livi

It was a penalty if it had been awarded then and there. Stupid handball from Sives. However, far too long of an advantage was given so it's a poor call in my opinion.

Finishing the first half two goals down was unfortunate for us and not at all reflective of the balance of play. We looked strong going forward (without creating any clear cut chances) and applied a lot of pressure, but were poor in defence. Was hoping for a comeback in the second half, but Raith defended well and we didn't look able to break them down. They deserved their victory in the end, but 3-0 is flattering.

Our defensive performance was concerning. Hopefully Gordon will be able to come in and organise things. If not, we will leak goals all season. Hippo, Pittman and DJ were our best players on the day. Buchanan started off well but faded in the second half. Spas looks like a handy wee player. Glen is past it. White looked better in the air than usual, but totally useless with the ball at his feet. Gibbons will mature into a good player if he adds a bit of strength to his game. Bit too easy to muscle off the ball just now.

We will be fighting to avoid relegation this season. Raith probably lower-mid table. Nothing special. That sounds like sore loser talk after a 3-0 drubbing, but I really don't think there's much to pick between the two teams.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a penalty if it had been awarded then and there. Stupid handball from Sives. However, far too long of an advantage was given so it's a poor call in my opinion.

Finishing the first half two goals down was unfortunate for us and not at all reflective of the balance of play. We looked strong going forward (without creating any clear cut chances) and applied a lot of pressure, but were poor in defence. Was hoping for a comeback in the second half, but Raith defended well and we didn't look able to break them down. They deserved their victory in the end, but 3-0 is flattering.

Our defensive performance was concerning. Hopefully Gordon will be able to come in and organise things. If not, we will leak goals all season. Hippo, Pittman and DJ were our best players on the day. Buchanan started off well but faded in the second half. Spas looks like a handy wee player. Glen is past it. White looked better in the air than usual, but totally useless with the ball at his feet. Gibbons will mature into a good player if he adds a bit of strength to his game. Bit too easy to muscle off the ball just now.

We will be fighting to avoid relegation this season. Raith probably lower-mid table. Nothing special. That sounds like sore loser talk after a 3-0 drubbing, but I really don't think there's much to pick between the two teams.

3 goals was the difference between the two teams..

Who was your number 4? Looked awful. Lost the ball in the worst positions a few times as well as getting bullied off the ball by Wighton..

The fact Raith put 3 past us is very worrying. Didnt look at all special and I remember going a goal down and thinking, no way they will hold on to this.

We look an absolute shambles the last 3 weeks and the fact that we have certain players out injured and suspended is not helping. Hugo needs to sign and we can ditch either Pitts or Gibbons in midfield. Our squad is too young

3 goals was the difference between the two teams..

Who was your number 4? Looked awful. Lost the ball in the worst positions a few times as well as getting bullied off the ball by Wighton..

On the day, yes. Would you argue that it wasn't a flattering result?

Number four was Darren Cole. That's his first game back since injury. Missed most of the pre-season games. He was bad yesterday, but no worse than the others in our defence I reckon.

Wighton is 17 years old and still learning his trade, lets give him a break, with experience he'll get there :)

But we only have him for the next 4 months. He might well get there in the end but not during that time. I don't see what Rovers are going to get out of this loan deal at all. He will probably make about as much impact as Barrie McKay.

Didn't see Hugo in any of our pre-season games. Was he good?

Looked a good player, played against Sociedad after coming off a plane 2 hours before kick off and already had the midfield shaped up well. You can tell he has a lot of experience which is what we need

Livi have something you'd class as a real chance at any stage throughout the match? I'm not convinced.

There was the one when Bates got into a fankle to present it to Buchanan but Cuthbert did well to block the lob. A lot of corners and threat from them (liked the set-up they had for them to attack the space in the box) but little in the way of clear chances.

But we only have him for the next 4 months. He might well get there in the end but not during that time. I don't see what Rovers are going to get out of this loan deal at all. He will probably make about as much impact as Barrie McKay.

agree,unimpressed by him,is he being played out of position as he just does not look a through the centre type player?

On the day, yes. Would you argue that it wasn't a flattering result?

Number four was Darren Cole. That's his first game back since injury. Missed most of the pre-season games. He was bad yesterday, but no worse than the others in our defence I reckon.

The scoreline maybe just flattered us. 2-0 might have been a bit fairer. You didn't look like scoring really. We, also could have had at least 2 or 3 more goals, through Wighton and Anderson's 1 on 1's.

It was the same last year at our 5-1 home loss..

There wasn't much difference in the balance of play. You just scored with every attack which is what matters most.

Penalty was a penalty at the time, looked like he stuck an arm out, but not giving it and allowing Raith to get the chance to score by playing advantage for 10 seconds, surely you can't bring it back.

I'd agree if it was ten seconds, but the handy little timer thing on youtube enables us to see that it's four or maybe five. For some reason I had it in my head that six seconds was the limit, but looking again at the laws it only says "a few seconds", so I guess that's a judgement call. Five seconds doesn't seem unreasonable though, I don't have a problem with it. (But then I suppose I wouldn't.)

Well that was pretty good.

Surprised to see people mention the score flattering us. In Wighton Stewart and Anderson we had three other clear cut chances that we should have really scored from.

The team showed some great desire to counter and really get at what was a dreadful Livingston defence.

toshney was an absolute standout, was such a bonus to have him start the game.

Piss poor travelling support, less than 100 for the opening game of the season at a team 30 miles along a motorway. Was the cry of "shitey home support" an ironic one?

3-0 home win when we really didn't play that well...I'll take that every week!

I presume the award of Thomson for motm was a sentimental one as Toshney was class. For a guy who's only 23 he has so much composure about his defending and it's a breathe of fresh air seeing him. Bates had 1 moment where he let Livi in but generally solid again and at 18 he looks a great prospect.

We're still short up front though and it means we're having to play Wighton out of position. He's not number 9 striker, ask any Dundee fan and they'l tell you he needs to play just off the striker. He doesn't have the strength to do the hold up play yet but I have not doubt that'll come in the years ahead. But for now we need another option unless we want to start having a go with young Robertson.

All in all very positive start and another clean sheet. Bring on Falkirk next week!

Well that was pretty good.

Surprised to see people mention the score flattering us. In Wighton Stewart and Anderson we had three other clear cut chances that we should have really scored from.

The team showed some great desire to counter and really get at what was a dreadful Livingston defence.

toshney was an absolute standout, was such a bonus to have him start the game.

Piss poor travelling support, less than 100 for the opening game of the season at a team 30 miles along a motorway. Was the cry of "shitey home support" an ironic one?

The answer is probably in here.

http://www.thelionsden.co/

Scratching my head after that one. We were by far the better team in the first half without necessarily turning out possession into goal attempts. Unbelievably bad refereeing throughout - and the decision to award them a penalty will be the worst one this season. Incredibly poor from the officials.

We changed it and the subs did well but too many below par performances in the second half.

I was embarrassed by the appalling language from those more vocal travelling supporters. Every second word was an expletive - truly lacking in imagination and ultimately caused everyone to cringe. I don't mind bad language, frustration and even anger at matches. Its expected. It can be funny and entertaining. But today was excruciatingly bad. These guys need to have a good look at themselves. There are women and children around them. It'll simply result in even fewer fans going to away games, and that will be to the detriment of the team.

Come on guys - improve your vocabulary! Have some imagination when you open your mouths. Otherwise you just sound awful - like a tired old touring club comedian who's run out of funny material and has resorted to a torrent of foul-mouthed nonsense that makes the audience feel embarrassed and humiliated.

In regards to Wighton's 6 month deal, you'll more than likely have him for the season. Think it was so that we had a bit of safety attached to it. If you don't play him, we'll obviously want him back for the sake of his development, or if he's breaking the league with how well he'd been playing we'd have brought him back in - particularly if our strikers weren't firing. As it is though, I think you'll have him for the year unless you lot choose to give him back.

Archived