Queen's Park vs Annan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you have saved a couple quid.

I'll buy him beer anyway.

Much better performance this week and there's plenty there to get us up the table when Gus finally gets the team sorted. Bold move to play 3 at the back today and it would have worked had it not been for the stout defending by Annan and the insistence of some QP players to try and walk the ball into goal. Marlow looked good when he came on, direct and quick to shot. McLeish looks a great prospect too, slipping balls through the defensive line. Something we missed last year. Berry was outstanding both in his defensive role and moving the ball around. Best of the day was seeing Baty back with a spotless performance. Overall a good effort with the obvious failing.

Annan's goal was text book made to look easy by the number 7. His first touch was sublime and an equally excellent cut-back, perfectly positioned and measured, set up the midfielder who worked himself into a great position. If Gus uses the match videos with the team he would do well to highlight how attacking midfielders can win a game. If we can't find the Roy Race we need, a striker-coach might help teach some of the guys how to attack a ball in the box.

Gibson by far the best player today . Woods good first 45 but should try having a shot rather than trying to walk ball into net . Mcleish still to impress me . Really need a striker on loan and a proper right back so we can go back to a back 4 . Where was McElroy today was he injured? . Annan although they won the match were dreadful.

Have never been a fan of the back three, but today was the first time I've ever seen us play it well. Yes it can be argued it cost us the game by Wharton being exposed in a left back position, but would Burns have done any better against such pace? What this formation highlighted for me was that it's much easier to quickly switch play from wing to wing as invariably there's one less player to pass through, but on the negative side there's less opportunity for an over-lapping player to get free as the midfield becomes too congested.

However the performance was miles better than either of the previous games so I'd be willing to try it again next week, perhaps with Quinn instead of Baty who could then move forward to centre midfield? I'd also like to see Marlow start as he looks a more direct striker than Mortimer or Galt, and if Gus paired him with Carter as a twin strike-force I think we could get some joy with that.

Much better performance today despite an undeserved loss. Great to see the team creating lots of chances, however it's still evident that the missing piece to the puzzle is of course a striker. Great to see baty making an appearance and even though he isn't a defender, I thought he coped very well. Liked the look of marlow when he came on and I would stick him upfront next week against clyde. Mortimer May do a job in the future however he seems a bit too lightweight and struggled against the physicality of the annan. Motm for me was berry who controlled the midfield all day. Really hope mccelroy isn't out the picture as he gives the team an option that nobody can give with his trickery. Overall, a positive performance but if were not scoring, were not going to win games.

From an Annan point of view we were second best,but well served by our defence in particular Jordan

big Peter and Stevie! A well taken goal by Mattie Flynn set up by Smart in possibly his only decent run

of game but a lot more to come from this guy.! Well played Annan,

I'll buy him beer anyway.

Much better performance this week and there's plenty there to get us up the table when Gus finally gets the team sorted. Bold move to play 3 at the back today

Not that bold when we played 3 at the back too

Who was the lad with the beard for queens park today?for me he was your best player.

Wharton (just ignore Larry, who's either being mischevious or a bit thick............bookies ain't taking bets on the latter option)

Thought we played relatively well, particularly in the second half. Two good blocks by the wee Annan keeper and another three by defenders when we could have scored. Hey ho....Maybe we're saving the goals up for next week.

Better display by McLeish and I liked look of Bradley. The lads filling in at the back did well, but they were exposed a bit with no one covering in front of them all too often.

With all due respect to Annan, they are pretty limited...but they won, and we have to be disposing of teams like that. According to the BBC, we had 60% of the possession. But nae goals!

Get a striker who can score a few goals and I'm confident that we'll be in and around the playoffs. If we don't, we won't be. It's not easy to find goalscorers, but fingers crossed that we can find something.

Archived