Failed Statelet Football 2015/16

It's the eve of the big kick-off on planet NI so once again it's time for a new thread for IL football....

Last years season was a good one with the Crues worthy winners. I'll say they're still favourites although Linfield will run them close(sadly).

the Glens have an interesting season ahead of them, still a very young team but some cracking players in there and for a change we've held on to them so far , Eddie and the boys could take a lot of points off the main challengers and entertain along the way ,top four i'll say with an chance for a top 3 spot.

Usual suspects will be top half ,Glenavon could get stronger after last seasons surprise and could well finish above Portadown .

Hopefully the crowds will continue to increase and the league will exceed last years...

COME ON YE GLENS !

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Glenavon replicate the last third of the season then they'll win the bl00dy thing.

Linfield still need a striker to add to the pool and I fear Crusaders have just too much strength in depth. Glens to do well and, believe it or not, I'll be pleased because it will boost crowds, add competition, and be a fitting reward for my ole mucker Eddie.

Excellent win for Coleraine, 1-0 against Glentoran.

Portadown win 2-1 at Seaview, so both Linfield (4-0 over Ballymena at Windsor) and Cliftonville (1-0 at Mourneview v Glenavon) have points in hand over two of the other teams fancied for the title.

But there are a serious amount of games to play yet! :lol:

Carrick win 2-1 at Dungannon - are the Swifts going to really struggle this season, as opposed to last, when they just struggled?

And Ballinamallard pick up 3 points from their trip to Warrenpoint, 1-0 for the visitors.

Another interesting season in prospect.

Was at Shamrock Rovers v St Pat's at the weekend and was very impressed with St Pat's. Outside the top three in the Premier, I reckon they would give most sides over here a game. Good atmosphere too, with a minor stramash afterwards when a Gardaí pushbike was launched at opposition fans.

Was at Shamrock Rovers v St Pat's at the weekend and was very impressed with St Pat's. Outside the top three in the Premier, I reckon they would give most sides over here a game. Good atmosphere too, with a minor stramash afterwards when a Gardaí pushbike was launched at opposition fans.

Decent looking side StPats, Shamrock Rovers going through a rebuilding process the past few years by the look of it. Dundalk a cut above all the rest at the moment though.

Enjoyed my pre-season visit to Ballyclare with Stranraer so be keeping an eye out for their results this year, very welcoming people.

The Blues, Portydown and Clim'ville all win, while the Crues draw against ten men, meaning the champions are five points back already. Linfield dominated but made hard work of beating a very well organised Carrick Rangers side before scoring three late on.

Decent looking side StPats, Shamrock Rovers going through a rebuilding process the past few years by the look of it. Dundalk a cut above all the rest at the moment though.

Enjoyed my pre-season visit to Ballyclare with Stranraer so be keeping an eye out for their results this year, very welcoming people.

Ballyclare - where commuting Linfield fans live? St Pats do look very decent indeed and I was mightily impressed by them as they dismantled Rovers. In the words of the Rovers fan I was drinking with afterwards, "Dey annihilated us". In fairness to Rovers, they were missing McPhail and Damien Duff. Dundalk aren't that far ahead of Cork and, if either slip up, St Pat's play the sort of football that champions should play. The top three are a cut above the IL.

Ballyclare a Linfield town AFJ? Enjoyed watching Dundalk anytime I've seen them in the past two seasons, always play decent football. Pats have a few cracking players, Forrester for me should have had a decent move by now. Good competitive league in recent years.

Ballyclare grew greatly as the Troubles worsened, with many Belfast folk moving there. They have a thriving Linfield Supporter's Club which, if memory serves me correctly, was based in the Comrades club. The Two clubs rub along together very nicely, apart from last season when they beat us in the County Antrim Shield :P

I can't believe how Sligo have gone from champs to chumps in such a short space of time. Then again, my ex wife is from there, so feck 'em.

Cheers AFJ, interesting insight into both the club and town of Ballyclare.

Sligo look to be having one of the biggest 'champs to chumps' slide of all time, dreadful campaign from them. Appointment of Micky Adams without doubt is the last throw of the dice.

And a costly one at that I would imagine.

There are lots of towns like that in NI, Carrick being another obvious example. Newtownabbey also grew exponentially due to Troubles "evacuees". Crumlin too.

I forgot you were in Dublin - next time I'm over I'll PM you for a beer or two and make use of your "local" knowledge.

Archived