Failed Statelet Football 2015/16

Was amazed to see some Failed Statelet football content on the Emirates in-flight entertainment system a few days back complete with an acoustic version of Alternative Ulster as the opening sequence. Anybody else seen Shooting for Socrates? Thought it was pretty decent once you get past the fact that only the Pat Jennings actor looked even vaguely like the player involved and the way the Belfast accents were toned down, but how can you have a film about NI`s 1986 World Cup campaign without Alan McDonald`s interview rant after the England game?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top three all win - Linfield beat Glenavon 4-3 at Windsor, a real thriller, Glenavon went 1 up, trailed 3-1 and then levelled it before Linfeld got a late winner; Crusaders cruise past Carrick at Seaview, 5-0 (two red cards (1 each) and a penalty) and Cliftonville won at Ballinamallard, 2-0, 1 a penalty.

Coleraine come from a goal down to win 2-1 at Shamrock Park with an 88th minute winner, Glentoran twice trail at Stangmore Park, but eventually win 4-2 against Dungannon Swifts.

Ballymena win 2-1 at Warrenpoint, who have a man sent off on the 90th minute.

Linfield top with 24 points, 4 ahead of the Crues who are 1 in front of Cliftonville. There's 3 point gap to Coleraine in 4th with 16 points, and on 12 points are the two Glens.

Bottom half: Portadown 7th with 11, ahead of Ballymena on goal difference, then Carrick on 9 points, a point ahead of Dungannon, with Ballinamallard United and Warrenpoint Town the bottom two with 5 and 4 points respectively.

Big game next week at Solitude, Cliftonville v Linfield, Crusaders travel to the Ballymena Showgrounds, where any result could happen.

Coleraine are at home to Warrenpoint, so no doubt a "surprise" is on the cards, there. Glenavon and Glentoran must be fancied to beat Dungannon Swifts and Ballinamallard United respectively, while Portadown could have a fight on their hands away to Carrick Rangers.

Warren Feeney being touted for the assistant manager's job at Newport County.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34417735

Meenwhile, Glentoran's Eddie Patterson is quoted in The Newsletter as being "miffed (that) he is being deprived of the services of new signing Ciaran Caldwell following his dismissal with his former club's reserve side."

Apparently Caldwell has a 6 game ban to serve, and it's only expunged after Glenavon Reserves have played 6 games.

Now, leaving aside what sort of offence merits a 6 game ban, you'd have thought that once Glenavon had played 6 games the ban would have been served.

Apparently Glenavon Reserves haven't yet played 6 games.

Strange one. He's turned down bigger and better offers, IMO (Plymouth), so why go to Newport? Still, he hasn't denied it, so perhaps he is off?

He worked with John Sheridan at Plymouth, maybe that's the attraction.

And as C.D H says, it gets his foot in the door of the Football League. If successful, who knows? If unsuccessful, back here?

Although I would also agrree with C.D H about Linfield being a bigger job - maybe I've just been living here too long, thinking that!

He worked with John Sheridan at Plymouth, maybe that's the attraction.

And as C.D H says, it gets his foot in the door of the Football League. If successful, who knows? If unsuccessful, back here?

Although I would also agrree with C.D H about Linfield being a bigger job - maybe I've just been living here too long, thinking that!

He'll win trophies and compete for the title more often than not ,in terms of potential support Linfield are as big as most Scottish championship clubs and probably be bigger than a couple of SPFL clubs,Ross County and Hamilton spring to mind...they just happen to be a big fish in a small pond I suppose,it'll really depend how much he wants to work in England .

Strange one. He's turned down bigger and better offers, IMO (Plymouth), so why go to Newport? Still, he hasn't denied it, so perhaps he is off?

how much would Linfield fans want to keep him?

So, 3-3 at Solitude, real ding dong game by the looks of it, 2-0 to the Blues, 3-2 to the Reds just after Linfield go down to 10 men and then Linfield get an equaliser with 9 minutes left. Cliftonville's Seydak sent off in the last minute.*

Crusaders win 4-2 at Ballymena, Crues opener was a penalty, Crues get 2 goals in 3 minutes to take the points.

Carrick succumb to a last minute Portadown penalty at home.

Coleraine win 2-0 against Warrenpoint Town. Not much of a game - no penalties or sendings off :lol:.

Glenavon win the Mid Ulster derby, coming back from a goal down to beat Dungannon Swifts 3-1. Glenavon's equaliser is a penalty, and the Swifts have 2 sent off in the last 5 minutes.

Ballinamallard get 3 great points at The Oval, beating Glentoran 2-0. No sendings off or penalties here, either!

The table hasn't been updated yet, but Linfield are still top, now with 25 points, Crusaders are 2nd with 23, closing the gap slightly, Cliftonville have 20 and Coleraine are still going well in 4th place with 19 points. Glenavon are 5th with 15 points and 6th are Portadown on 14.

Bottom half: Glentoran are 7th on 12 points, Ballymena are 8th (11 points) and Carrick 9th (9 points). Ballinamallard are 10th with 8 points eding out Dungannon on goal difference and bottom are Warrenpoint still with only 4 points.

Ballinamallard take on Glenavon this Wednesday, on Saturday Coleraine are away to Carrick and will have to be on their best behaviour, Crusaders look certs at home to Warrenpoint, Dungannon take on Cliftonville - can't see the Swifts getting anything out of this, Linfield face Glentoran who are badly in need of a boost and Portadown entertain Ballymena.

* Cliftonville had a penalty saved on the foot of the Linfield dismissal and had another man red carded after "clashes in the tunnel" after the match ended.

He'll win trophies and compete for the title more often than not ,in terms of potential support Linfield are as big as most Scottish championship clubs and probably be bigger than a couple of SPFL clubs,Ross County and Hamilton spring to mind...they just happen to be a big fish in a small pond I suppose,it'll really depend how much he wants to work in England .

how much would Linfield fans want to keep him?

Initially, not a lot, but he has us playing some lovely stuff - we just lack some "balls" in the bigger games, although today might allay that accusation? Fans are being won over, me included, although, on a personal level, he has let me down a few times as regards potential signings that I put him in touch with.

I'd say Linfield are eminently capable of being as big as, if not bigger, than more than half of the SPFL clubs, but not as big as the ten title winning Greenock giants of course :lol:

Feeno resigns to go to Newport. Linfield's season will revolve around who replaces him, and I can't think of any obvious candidate. Kenny Shiels mentioned in despatches but I'd plump for Oran Kearney.

Let's hope you don't get him!

The Big Two - can they stil be called the Big Two, they're not even the Big Two in Belfast anymore? - drew 1-1 at Windsor, the Glens getting a 90th minute equaliser, nobody on the back post, and with Crusaders edging past Warrenpoint Town, 1-0 at Seaview, the Crues now lead the table on goal difference from Linfied.

Cliftonville win 1-0 at Dungannon and Coleraine edge out Carrick at Taylors Avenue, 2-1 to the much improved Bannsiders. Carrick missed an open goal in the second half.

The only home winners were Portadown who beat 10 man Ballymena 3-2. Not as good as the 5-5 game last season, but not far behind it.

A disappointing lack of penalties this week, and only 2 sendings off, Coleraine's Beverland in the last minute, and Ballymena's O'Kane after 36.

So,as mentioned, Crusaders top on goal difference with Linfield 2nd, both on 26 points, Cliftonville 3 points back in 3rd, and Coleraine 4th on 22. 4 point gap to Glenavon on 18 and 6th are Portadown, 1 point behind.

Bottom half: Glentoran 7th on 13 points, then Ballymena on 11 and Carrick 9th with 9 points, only a point in front of Ballinamallard United and Dungannon Swifts, separated by goal difference, with Warrenpoint Town the tail end charlies with only 4 points.

Everybody has played 11 games, so we're into the 2nd quarter.*

* Or, as was pointed out to me this morning, the 2nd third before the split.

Archived