Motherwell v Aberdeen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested to see the winning goal again to see exactly what happened. The fact, however, very few Motherwell complained or appealed for anything, would suggest there was no foul.

An improved performance from Wednesday night no doubt, but we were still second best. Overall, felt Aberdeen deserved the victory.

That's the past 3 games Logan has seemed a bit out of sorts.

Reckon he needs a rest or is just having an off patch?

Happy with the three points. I see from quotes Romeo is all over the page, absolute minter.

Aberdeen deserved their win, but I'm not worried about Motherwell this season as they did ok. Second place finishes are now a thing of the past but I doubt there are many at Fir Park who expect that now.

I'm interested to see the winning goal again to see exactly what happened. The fact, however, very few Motherwell complained or appealed for anything, would suggest there was no foul.

An improved performance from Wednesday night no doubt, but we were still second best. Overall, felt Aberdeen deserved the victory.

Thought a draw would have been fair though to let Aberdeen back into the game with a goal as soft as their first was criminal. Their winner looked like a blatant foul on Ripley from where I was sat (which was the other end of the park tbf). Only thing I can think is that he's been blocked off by his own man.

Was pretty disappointed in Aberdeen, expected a lot more from McLean.

Thought a draw would have been fair though to let Aberdeen back into the game with a goal as soft as their first was criminal. Their winner looked like a blatant foul on Ripley from where I was sat (which was the other end of the park tbf). Only thing I can think is that he's been blocked off by his own man.

Was pretty disappointed in Aberdeen, expected a lot more from McLean.

You guys should know its perfectly OK to foul the keeper in an Aberdeen-Well game ;)

Thought it was a deserved win in the end.

We were a bit ropey at the beginning and were hanging on a bit at the end - much to our own doing though. We had a habit of knocking the ball about, passing it back to Ward, then when he kicked it long we'd lose possession and allow Motherwell to launch an attack. That said, they didn't really look like scoring, it was generally hopeful balls into the box. The young fella who came on for them (Don Thomas?) looks a tidy player, had their best chance of an equaliser when we inexplicably sat off him and Ward made a good save.

Generally though we passed the ball about well enough. McGinn was man of the match for me, Rooney did well when he came on, Shinnie also very good. Flood was good in first half but was subbed at the break.

Agree Logan didn't gabe a particularly good game. Hayes had a mixed afternoon, McLean was quiet but I think he had been told to sit deep after Flood went off.

Good away wins at Tannadice and Fir Park now though.

Aberdeen probably did deserve to win but the manner in which their two goals were scored was extremely disappointing, a cross that crept in at the back post and a set piece where our keeper was posted missing. There's no doubt we've looked far more organised in general this season than last but we seem to have retained the same propensity for shooting ourselves in the foot by giving away daft goals. Our opponents haven't been able to cut us open as easily as they did last season but it seems if you apply enough pressure we will eventually gift you a goal.

Was much more impressed with Louis Moult today, often dealt a duff hand when our defence clipped aimless ball towards him whilst he was isolated with Taylor and Considine on his back. However when we got the ball into his feet he held it up and linked the play well, especially with McDonald as he began to get closer to him in the 2nd half. Not a great deal of a goal threat except one wayward header but he wasn't given a great deal of service as neither Ainsworth or Johnson(despite his early goal) had their best games. Thought we lacked a bit of creativity today however Dom Thomas again provided a spark when he came on, mesmeric at times and unlike last week he had some end product forcing a good save from Ward and putting in a dream of a cross for Moult who got his header all wrong. Maybe not next week in Perth which is sure to be a tough physical encounter but I'd definitely give him a start against East Fife in the cup and see how he does.

Having not been there I thought folk were being harsh with their reviews of Taylor on Wednesday night but again the game seemed to pass him by today and you wouldn't even have known he was playing. To be fair he couldn't have asked for a much tougher couple of games than the two he's had and I'm surprised Baraclough has decided that throwing him straight in at the deep end was the best option. Don't think it's done him or the team any favours. He and Lasley struggled to get to grips with the Aberdeen midfield today, for whom I thought Nial McGinn was terrific.

Much like last week it wasn't the worst performance in the world but we've again ended up empty handed and it's now three defeats in a week. Still not worried and I do think we'll be alright this season but we could really do with at least a point in Perth next week to stop the run of defeats and look to build from there.

Just watched the highlights, I take it back about that 2nd goal. Totally legit. Ripley just ends up on his arse. He should be cleaning everyone out there tbf.

Looked a foul initially to me from behind the goals. After seeing it again, I agree the keeper was weak. Exactly the kind of goal we were conceding last year when we lacked a commanding keeper.

Well look a much better team than last season.

Logan has not met the high standards he set himself so far. Well seemed to target him and it was effective.

Looked a foul initially to me from behind the goals. After seeing it again, I agree the keeper was weak. Exactly the kind of goal we were conceding last year when we lacked a commanding keeper.

Well look a much better team than last season.

Logan has not met the high standards he set himself so far. Well seemed to target him and it was effective.

There was a 10 minute spell where we just sat Moult on Logan and won every header that went up there.

We played quite well, but Aberdeen are a right good team to watch. Lovely movement about the midfield. They'll comfortably finish second again.

Also, has anyone seen Jake Taylor? Was supposed to be in the Fir Park area around 3pm yesterday but never showed up. #findjaketayler

It was like Groundhog day after last Saturday. Team could easily have had a draw but rank poor defending and comical goals mean we have nil points.

Aberdeen played well 1st half and passed the ball around comfortably. I felt 2nd half we matched the Dons, so it makes it galling we drew the 1st half and lost the 2nd !!

Pearson is a big miss in midfield. We have nit won a game with him out of the side and have a win rate of nearly 60% with him in the tam. Says it all really. We don't have the luxury of a strong bench as say the Dons now do.

We have lost 2 on the bounce to the teams that will finish 3rd and 2nd. Our season starts next weekend when we start playing the teams likely to be in the bottom half come next May.

Didn't think we were at our best yesterday, but it is lovely to moan about a win at Fir Park when in the near past we got a hosing there under Paw Broon.

Started horrendously and Motherwell took full advantage of a defence that got pulled over the shop. Johnson finished well and for a spell in the first half, gave Logan a torrid time. If Johnson could put that on for 90 minutes, he could push on and a have a fine career. We began to settle and probably deserved the equaliser. While the keeper didn't cover himself in glory, McGinn's cross was delicious and Goodwillie's run across it was very intelligent. Still not quite sure why Goodwillie had a goal chalked off, possibly for handball or a slight nudge, but both seem extremely harsh judging by the Well highlights.

While we bossed the ball after that, I was happy to see the change at half time, not anything against Flood, I just felt our play was lovely to watch but too ponderous, as tends to happen when Jack and Willo play together. Came out at the start of the second half more direct in our running and really started to create problems. Hayes and McGinn were highly effective on their "opposite" wings, Goodwillie held it up well and Rooney put in a hell of an effort in his 45 minutes. Goodie could have perhaps done better with his header but the goal was a superb free kick from McGinn and Taylor rose well. Again the keeper made a mistake, running into his own player.

After that, we set up well for 15 minutes on the counter and McGinn was unlucky to hit the post after a superb jinking run before we sat off and tried to soak up Motherwell pressure. That we saw it out relatively comfortably was pleasing.

McGinn was brilliant yesterday, a very important player for us out wide, and Hayes caused Stevie Hammill some issues own that side. Felt Goodwillie had another fine game while Taylor grew as the match went on. Motherwell are certainly a better team than they were 6 months back. Counter attacking play early on was good but faded later in the game and a bit light in the centre of the park. Young Dom Thomas is a superb prospect and showed good glimpses yesterday of what he can offer. Tricky with the ball at his feet, quick and with a lovely delivery. Has a big future ahead of him if he keeps his head down and continues to work hard.

Archived