2015/16 FA Cup

This already started!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_FA_Cup_Qualifying_Rounds#Extra_Preliminary_Round

Already the only three teams I give something close to half a monkey's about in England are out (Clapton, Waltham Forest and FC Romania)

Biggest win was 11-0 for Coleshill Town v Ellesmere Rangers and Bishop Auckland got the highest attendance with 529 fans there to see their draw with Shildon

I love this competition. I'm glad to Scottish is slowly getting the same with all these diddy of diddiest sides making the numbers up.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this competition. I'm glad to Scottish is slowly getting the same with all these diddy of diddiest sides making the numbers up.

Interestingly enough the Scottish Cup has 92 entrants this season versus 736 in the FA Cup... so compared to population, ours is actually more open?

I also see it is known as "The Emirates FA Cup" this season. Is this a first - in the past it has normally been called "the AXA-sponsored FA Cup", or the "FA Cup with Budweiser", and so on, in order to respect the spirit of the tournament. I suppose it will be another example of money trumping tradition?

Interestingly enough the Scottish Cup has 92 entrants this season versus 736 in the FA Cup... so compared to population, ours is actually more open?

I've never thought of it that way. Would still like to see the Scottish Cup get far bigger and get rid of the League Cup altogether

It's perfectly decent, although obviously less prestigious that the main cup. In a country where teams play others in their league four times each, a bit of variety should be encouraged.

Expanding the cup doesn't guarantee an increase in games. Half the entrants will only play one tie.

It's even more useful to have two cup competitions given the historical dominance of the league by two (and now one) teams. Gives others a better chance at getting some silverware.

• 2 weeks later...

Prelim round today...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_FA_Cup_Qualifying_Rounds#Preliminary_Round

As I said the three teams I wanted to go through all ballsed it up so I have decided to pick a new club to follow throughout the FA Cup this year and have chosen former Premier League* stars "Glossop North End".

It's perfectly decent, although obviously less prestigious that the main cup. In a country where teams play others in their league four times each, a bit of variety should be encouraged.

Expanding the cup doesn't guarantee an increase in games. Half the entrants will only play one tie.

It's even more useful to have two cup competitions given the historical dominance of the league by two (and now one) teams. Gives others a better chance at getting some silverware.

Totally agree. Give me the likes of Carlisle at home in the League Cup over West Ham at home in the Premier League any day. Something different.

Ayr and Raith have already been in the competition for decades.

Nothing can compete with the Coupe de France when it comes to allowing in Les Diddies.

They have 8,506 entrants including clubs from their overseas departments and territories like French Polynesia, Tahiti and Guiana.

If is quite remarkable, in that (AFAIA) all of these teams enter the tournament itself. In Germany for example only 64 clubs participate, but a number of these are the champions of regional cups from the previous season. Indeed, if Wikipedia is to be believed the nations with more or similar entries to use in Scotland are:

France - 8,506

England - 736

Norway - 281

Belgium - 234

Slovakia - 214

Romania - 164

Hungary - 160

Turkey - 158

Portugal - 156

Israel - 151

Bosnia & Herzegovina - 144

Wales - 135

Czech Republic - 133

Finland - 132

Northern Ireland - 125

Russia - 110

Denmark - 104

Estonia - 103

Luxembourg - ~100

Austria - 98

Sweden - 96

Scotland - 92

Spain - 83

Netherlands - 82

Italy - 78

However even when you look at some of them it appears the figures in fact include all the entrants of local competitions in the previous season who get to submit a certain number of qualifiers. Bosnia even seems to have a sort of "Bosnian Qualifying Cup"... If you included the Senior non-league, Junior and Amateur clubs who could in theory qualify for the Scottish Cup from their own competitions we'd be approaching 1,000.

Remaining 30 or so nations have ~64 entrants/fewer.

I believe that Norway is the only cup in Europe where the top clubs enter at the Round of 128. Italy has a particularly rigged system, in favour of top teams: highest 8 in Serie A enter at Last 16, get seeded, and home draws!!

Just compared those numbers to populations of those countries. France has one entrant in their national cup for just under ever 8,000 people and Russia has more than 1,000,000 people for every entrant...

Russia - 1,309,373
Italy - 781,577
Spain - 558,253
Turkey - 495,025
Netherlands - 206,500
Romania - 120,865
Sweden - 102,021
Austria - 87,837
Czech Republic - 79,211
England - 72,023
Hungary - 61,469
Scotland - 57,910