Dundee United v Dunfermline (League Cup - 3rd Round)

Parscelona

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlucky Pars. Excellent first half but always felt confident going in at 1-1. It is scary the difference in our play shooting down the hill - like this almost every week. Just really the depth in squad the main difference.

Telfer ought to be careful if he doesn't want the only notable moment of a football career to be scoring number 6.

Thought we played well and controlled the first half. Deeply amusing goal mind. The equaliser was poor defensively though. Wallace's chance to make it 2 before half time was agonising.

2nd half we clearly tired and resorted to far too many long balls that Wallace and El Bakhtoui were never goin to win. Talbot never fully recovered from his first half injury and we ended up with just Martin and BRE playing in their natural positions defensively. We did well to take it to extra time but the 2 division gap, our patchwork defense and tiredness saw United finally put us away.

Thought BRE was solid (his pass right to the United striker in the 2nd half of extra time apart), Josh was good in midfield and wasn't scared to get the ball and try to get things moving, Martin was quality and Murdoch was fantastic with a couple of good saves.

Faiss has a poor game by his standards and if Talbot wasn't fucked might (should) have got hooked for MAC.

We had a great crowd in terms of numbers, but I thought they were poor in terms of vocal backing. Top quiet and too many fans getting on at the players. Think a lot of then forgot that we're 2 leagues below and the majority of the squad play there for a reason.

United, get a new keeper. He's just horrible. And punt Simon Murray. And wash the back of the Fair Play stand upper tier.

We gave it our best shot, players were knackered come extra time.

We were awesome up until United equalised with a cheap goal then lost our shape for a bit, yet still had a chance to go ahead before the break.

Bringing on Moffat instead of Antoine Courier was a mistake, we were lunping balls forward yet the United centre halves were winning it all the time.

Great support from us as well, all the best to United for the rest of the competition.

1-3 defeat AET against United away is at least respectable. I had a vague premonition a few days ago of a lower league side shipping seven goals away to a Premiership team managed by an ex-Pars player. So you can imagine my pre-match trepidation. However I guess that sort of thing is just superstitious mumbo-jumbo. Bring on the Onions.

Thought we played well and controlled the first half. Deeply amusing goal mind. The equaliser was poor defensively though. Wallace's chance to make it 2 before half time was agonising.

2nd half we clearly tired and resorted to far too many long balls that Wallace and El Bakhtoui were never goin to win. Talbot never fully recovered from his first half injury and we ended up with just Martin and BRE playing in their natural positions defensively. We did well to take it to extra time but the 2 division gap, our patchwork defense and tiredness saw United finally put us away.

Thought BRE was solid (his pass right to the United striker in the 2nd half of extra time apart), Josh was good in midfield and wasn't scared to get the ball and try to get things moving, Martin was quality and Murdoch was fantastic with a couple of good saves.

Faiss has a poor game by his standards and if Talbot wasn't fucked might (should) have got hooked for MAC.

We had a great crowd in terms of numbers, but I thought they were poor in terms of vocal backing. Top quiet and too many fans getting on at the players. Think a lot of then forgot that we're 2 leagues below and the majority of the squad play there for a reason.

United, get a new keeper. He's just horrible. And punt Simon Murray. And wash the back of the Fair Play stand upper tier.

He actually isn't. A howler tonight but a very good young goalkeeper.

Overall I thought Dunfermline were excellent in the first half and really should have scored a couple of goals. I thought it bizarre that the Pars seemed to play for extra-time in the last five minutes and yet when extra-time did start they totally fell to bits and sat very deep letting us press forward to get our goals.

Our shape again was utterly bizarre, it was Houston era stuff with as many central midfielders as you could find crammed into the middle of the park giving no width whatsoever (especially as Telfer and Fraser kept drifting inside). To then bring on Murray as a wide midfielder when Connolly was sitting on the bench was true McNamara 'pick a player at random' stuff. Leaving our young left back totally exposed on the flank was a terrible move but luckily didn't directly lead to anything (he actually grew in confidence as the game went on) and once again we were dreadful at both taking and defending set pieces (our throw ins are still a complete clusterfuck). We won but could have easily lost that game quite comfortably if Dunfermline kept their performance levels up.

Rankin was our best player tonight and Fraser again managed to show his class. Why we have brought in Taggart is beyond me, offers absolutely nothing (Kuhl is also looking every bit an average player as the games go on).

He actually isn't. A howler tonight but a very good young goalkeeper.

Overall I thought Dunfermline were excellent in the first half and really should have scored a couple of goals. I thought it bizarre that the Pars seemed to play for extra-time in the last five minutes and yet when extra-time did start they totally fell to bits and sat very deep letting us press forward to get our goals.

We we're absolutely knackered, i don't think either was a choice, its just what happens with tired players.

Happy with the performance and think it shows we can compete at a higher level but the gap between the sides was just a little bit too much, that said if we take our chances we might of got the win.

Also think MAC should have come on, we needed an outball and nobody else could really provide that.

Martin was superb , really showed why he's got such a bright future.

We're absolutely fucked in defence now, hopefully talbot hasn't damaged too much by playing through injury.

Think we shocked them a bit with how well we started, keeper gifting us a goal was fantastic as well.

After that United controlled the game and our only chance was to try to grab another on the break/hold out til full-time and hope they didn't score.

We did very well to keep it at 1-1 til full-time, BRE and Geggan were both outstanding. Sadly we just didn't have the legs to last 120 minutes and a United ET win looked, and proved to be inevitable.

Great game though and a fantastic support from the pars fans.

Thought United just about deserved it in the end, plenty chances to get it done in 90 minutes, but again not taking them. Dunfermline tired badly as second half wore on and were pretty much out on their feet in extra time. They put a lot into the first half so not hugely surprising. Was disappointed with El Bakhtoui, but quite impressed with Richards-Everton at the back.

Thought there were a few positive signs for United, Robson did well at LB after a nervy start, and the keeper recovered well after an horrendous blunder for the Dunfermline goal.

An extra time victory against a team two leagues down isn't enough to get me excited though. Kuhl had a nightmare, only passes it backwards and sideways. Murray ran about like a headless chicken when he came on, Taggert ineffective.

Archived