The current struggle for amateur teams

DrumFP

I could be wrong Mate but apparently the ams haven't been able to get a team together for first couple of league games, apparently they are trying to merge with their 21s as they are also struggling! All hear say mate so can't say for sure but safl website has there first couple of games down as postponed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The demise of amateur and youth football , is commonly attributed to kids not being interested, due to playing computers.

I would offer up an alternative reason, demographics. Take the area of Drumchapel as an example. Drumchapel used to have 3 Secondary schools, Kingsridge, Waverly and St Pious, each year had a school team. Every Primary school, and I cant recall them all, but there was loads of them, had a school team. Drumchapel now has one Secondary School. Drumchapel, at its height, had a population of 45,000, its down to around 25,000 now.

Therein lays the real reason for fewer players. Take Glasgow as an extension of that, the population, not so long ago, was 1 million, now its around 650,000.

Another possible reason, could be, amateur teams signing up as many players as possible. The Central League for example, have 973 registered between 33 teams, that's an average of 29 players per team. My own team has 25 players signed, that's two teams !! (25 Club Tracksuits !!!) So maybe a revue of how many players can be signed would have an impact on reviving the current situation.

When I played, there was regularly over 1000 teams competing in the Scottish Amateur Cup , nowadays, the number is less than half of that.

Finally, sad to hear that old adversaries, Wullie Cox, Wullie Evans and Justin Currie, at Viewfield Rovers, have decided to call it a day.

The demise of amateur football, has been on the cards for a while, we have people sitting and running the SAFA and the only reason they sit on it is to protect the league they represent.

Look at the money the treasurer has in the account £350,000 !!! goodness wit the hell do they need that amount for.

And we have the liabilty insurance which the SAFA get commision from whats the point of it, up to 2 years ago they had only been one claim since it started 8 years ago, at £50 per club some insurance company is making a killing.

Its time now for the SFA to take over the running of the amateur game and regionaize the football leagues

The demise of amateur football, has been on the cards for a while, we have people sitting and running the SAFA and the only reason they sit on it is to protect the league they represent.

Look at the money the treasurer has in the account £350,000 !!! goodness wit the hell do they need that amount for.

And we have the liabilty insurance which the SAFA get commision from whats the point of it, up to 2 years ago they had only been one claim since it started 8 years ago, at £50 per club some insurance company is making a killing.

Its time now for the SFA to take over the running of the amateur game and regionaize the football leagues

Just can't stop yourself, can you Roberto? Bitter wee man!

Hello georgypuppet sorry georgyporgy can you speak to you know who :shutup and seek permission to answer the following questions

Now keep in the mind the forum topic

Do we need £350,000 in the bank - yes or no

Did the SAFA get commision from the mandatory public libility insurance - yes or no

Now thats only 2 points I raise and for me the answers are NO and YES we do not need that amount of money in the bank we should have a celing say £150,000 approx each year with any suplus returned to the clubs.

And do away with the mandatory Public Libility Insurance and make it optional

This is only a couple of examples to help improve the massive financial burden our clubs have every year.

Yours Truly

a Bitter old man :thumsup2

Archived