Winning the lottery/ being rich

Fide

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd buy a boozer and just go there aw the time.

Brian Johnson has a faithful recreation of his local in his house. If I won I'd buy a property big enough to make sure I could have an exact copy of Paris Match in my house. Ah well, one can but dream...

Their's a boy in Tenerife who sells then for a few Euros.

No need to splash out those stupid jeweller prices.

Not a word of a lie, I got a kinetic Snide Rolly off a market in Lanzarote over 10 years ago & the bugger is still working. Mind you I had to haggle for over 10 mins in the searing heat, I got it for 50 which was about £35 at the time.

Grimbo

I went through a good wee spell of fantasising about winning the lottery. Im sure all of us go through it at some point and buy a ticket every Friday or Saturday with a genuine feeling that its going to be your week. Im not sure what exactly brought it on, was probably just from working on various peoples homes and seeing how different people lived and what i wanted from life which was basically a lot of money without having to do much for it. I remember the feeling of deep jealousy when the Scottish couple won £168m back in 2011, it was one of those rollovers that got everyone talking about what they would do with it should they win and seeing it being won so close to home was bound to make me feel jealous.

Now that i have bought my own place and am quite happy with my lot i don't really think about it much, i have probably only bought about 5 tickets this year and about as many scratch cards, still bet on the football at weekends as i find it fun to watch the scores come in and its nice to win a realistic sum of money, also play the super 6 with he outside hope of winning 250 k.

£250 k i would - Finish my uni course and find a decent enough job, buy a house somewhere central to Scotland and handy for work with little to no mortgage, let this place out and live happily ever after

£1m - Give away maybe 100k to immediate family, buy a house for maybe £500 k, rent this place out and invest the remaining £400k, maybe on another rental property and save the rest. I agree that a couple in their 20's winning £1m would never have to work again if they spent wisely, but would probably eventually wind up bored.

£1-10m - Probably along the same lines as above, just give more to family and buy a bigger house for myself and perhaps a place abroad and spend large times out the country travelling whilst trying not to lose money with the investments i have going on.

Anywhere bordering on the silly amount of money would get a bit tricky for me as i would probably feel the need to isolate myself from a lot of people who i would feel would be after me hoping i would throw a million their way and then not knowing where to draw the line. Could see myself having to immigrate and living among other millionaires for fear of being an outcast among my friends. Would quite fancy living in a sky scraper in New York although i have looked and some desirable properties sell for about the £30m pound mark.

Think you've pretty much nailed it there Throbs - Well, in my way of thinking anyway. Very similar.

Its probably along the lines of what most sensible people would do tbf - I wouldn't want to flash the cash thats for sure and thats why so many people end up so much in the shit by trying to show off being well off when they're not!

Its probably along the lines of what most sensible people would do tbf - I wouldn't want to flash the cash thats for sure and thats why so many people end up so much in the shit by trying to show off being well off when they're not!

See I'd buy a new house and pay off my car, then buy another 2 to rent out.

After that I'd put the money away and give some to my family, probably take my pals to Vegas or something for a celebratory piss up before becoming a hermit.

With a million I could buy a nice house outright and live roughly my current standard of living until retirement. A million isn't that much if you're at the beginning of your working life and don't already own property. Ignoring inflation and how you reinvest it it's about the household median income over a 40 year period.

The major difference it would make to someone like me's life is it would give me the security to drift in and out of work according to life's needs without ever having to worry about there being a roof over my head and food on the table. I wouldn't not work though, because the kind of opportunities from maintaining those levels of capital would be huge in later life. I'd immediately look to send any kids I have to the best school and to set up nest eggs for them. I'd also explore other educational opportunities for myself and do a lot of travelling. I love cars but I wouldn't splurge money on a flash new car; I'd probably set aside £10k to get my Midget restored to concourse finish, buy a more weather-friendly economical day-car and acquire a classic saloon like a Rover P6 or P5.

If I won silly money in the multi-millions I'd buy my parents somewhere to retire to and pay off their mortgage, give my sister a slice to help her and her fiancé get on the property ladder and make sizeable bequests to the Jags, the GUU, Glasgow Uni, my old school and to some mental health charities.

If I won just 1Million I think if keep £100K or so for dipping into a £250K or so house for myself and invest the £750k into property to generate an income. Would really need a bit more to be very comfortable. f**k charity etc.

Silly Money, £50Million+ would be tremendous fun. I'd do a lot of travelling, in style.

If I won just 1Million I think if keep £100K or so for dipping into a £250K or so house for myself and invest the £750k into property to generate an income. Would really need a bit more to be very comfortable. f**k charity etc.

Silly Money, £50Million+ would be tremendous fun. I'd do a lot of travelling, in style.

As a rough estimate a 2 bed flat in Edinburgh could maybe have a £1000 per month rental value so you could afford a wee bit more than 3 of them and then you do the maths for the income.

Not sure what would be the best way to make money off 750k but i don't see how you could lose with it and obviously sell it a few years down the line and you will make a good profit unless something goes tits up with the economy

So youll have won £1.1M then?

With a million I could buy a nice house outright and live roughly my current standard of living until retirement. A million isn't that much if you're at the beginning of your working life and don't already own property. Ignoring inflation and how you reinvest it it's about the household median income over a 40 year period.

The major difference it would make to someone like me's life is it would give me the security to drift in and out of work according to life's needs without ever having to worry about there being a roof over my head and food on the table. I wouldn't not work though, because the kind of opportunities from maintaining those levels of capital would be huge in later life. I'd immediately look to send any kids I have to the best school and to set up nest eggs for them. I'd also explore other educational opportunities for myself and do a lot of travelling. I love cars but I wouldn't splurge money on a flash new car; I'd probably set aside £10k to get my Midget restored to concourse finish, buy a more weather-friendly economical day-car and acquire a classic saloon like a Rover P6 or P5.

If I won silly money in the multi-millions I'd buy my parents somewhere to retire to and pay off their mortgage, give my sister a slice to help her and her fiancé get on the property ladder and make sizeable bequests to the Jags, the GUU, Glasgow Uni, my old school and to some mental b*****ds

FTFY & Get a hair cut.

Archived