Stoolmen vs Slaggies - 12/09/15

Fraser booted Thomas early doors and from then on he was worse than a man down, glad they eventually brought on Marv.

Two poor, poor teams and a draw probably about right.

Ricky Foster is still hilariously bad at life.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only positive that can really be taken from that is that we didn't lose and the knowledge that we'd probably have lost in a similar position last season. we were awful.

I had the fear when I saw the team and the performance justified that, if not the result; we didn't get beyond long balls, had no cohesion and looked like we lacked confidence. from kick off we looked hesitant and unsure of ourselves. at times we were playing actual pub team stuff. yet another soft goal conceded from a set piece as well. that's another game where a midfield pairing of Taylor and Lasley has been completely dominated too.

having said that as poor as we were (and we were REALLY poor) though they looked more organised and a bit tidier I don't think Ross County offered much and can't really remember Ripley being troubled that much.

Taylor is an absolute horror show. Shitebag, completely unable to take responsibility for the ball. Either loses it or passes it backwards.

Grimshaw please.

Delighted to see Johnson doing..something. Excellent goal, in the end.

Baraclough got it badly wrong today for me, Moult got him out of jail at the end.

Against Kilmarnock, who were dire but still, we kept a clean sheet with Kennedy and Chalmers being the pick of the back four yet both inexplicably dropped today for the shaky Hammell and Laing. Leitch had a decent game against Killie coming in for the suspended Taylor, yet couldn't even make the squad today as the aforementioned Taylor somehow found himself back in the team despite contributing nothing in a Motherwell strip to date including another anonymous 90 mins today. Also how McDonald kept his place again is beyond me, it looks like after another woeful 45 mins even Baraclough had enough and rightfully hooked him.

We are so easy to play against, nullify the wide men and we just go route one. Neither Lasley or Taylor took any responsibility for the ball, with the exception of Lasley's lovely reverse ball for the goal, neither played a forward pass all game. Neither of them looked to take the ball from the defence to start an attack and both were content to hide and allow McManus and Laing to take the abuse for hitting aimless balls forward despite not having much else on. Of course the long balls towards Moult didn't work with him isolated as McDonald continues to float about in anonymity.

The right changes were made with Robinson and Johnson coming on for the ineffective McDonald and Thomas. Thought we looked a bit better when Robinson came on and we went two up top, him and Moult ran themselves into the ground and finally started asking questions of the Ross County defence. Still not sure what to make of Robinson but his sheer strength and pace were causing problems as put himself about and at least tried to make an impact. On Moult I don't think he had his best game today but nobody deserved a goal more than him, his attitude is spot on and he was one of the few who weren't hiding and given our struggle for goals his are starting to become increasingly crucial. Four in four games for him now and he's won us 4 points and kept us in the cup in the process.

The goal was literally the only decent bit of football we strung together all game, with Marvin looking a bit more marvelous again this week coming off the bench to set it up. Apart from that it was a dire game of football, a horrible scrappy match with little in the way of quality. Neither keeper really had a save to make and although County were probably the better team on the whole and will be kicking themselves that they didn't leave with 3 points, I don't think either team really deserved to call themselves winners after that match.

The defense had an easy time vs Killie. Chalmers is alright but still not as good as Hammell, look how easy he got skinned at Perth.

I would drop McManus before Laing. Too many mistakes now and cost us the goal today.

Going forward is the main concern and McDonald being in a huff doesn't help, always complaining and was rightly hooked at half time. We didn't have an easy time getting it into Ainsworth or Thomas due to County playing a very high line and them squeezing the game particularly in the first half allowed them to overwhelm our midfield, Taylor looking very weak. We need more patience and creativity throughout the game, our goal was the only really good piece of play in the entire match with Grimshaw starting the move. He should be in ahead of Taylor( and so should Leitch)

aye and does anyone know what's up with Wes Fletcher?

Fletcher has an ankle injury which was a bit more serious than initially thought but Baraclough said in his press conference during the week that both Fletcher and Pearson have just returned to training which is a welcome boost. Pearson is certainly head and shoulders above that diddy Taylor who id get punted to Bellshill juniors. Craig Reid is also back training and played in the lasley testimonial for 45 minutes, would put him in ahead of Law at the moment.

Fletcher has an ankle injury which was a bit more serious than initially thought but Baraclough said in his press conference during the week that both Fletcher and Pearson have just returned to training which is a welcome boost. Pearson is certainly head and shoulders above that diddy Taylor who id get punted to Bellshill juniors. Craig Reid is also back training and played in the lasley testimonial for 45 minutes, would put him in ahead of Law at the moment.

Definitely. Reid, while nothing amazing, was fairly solid at RB. That's our first point from a losing position which is a good sign. Pearson coming back will also be a great boost. Moult is putting the goals away. Didn't sound like much of a game, but a point is more than I expected from it.

I would drop McManus before Laing. Too many mistakes now and cost us the goal today.

Correct. His tendency to go for headers a metre off the ground cost us a goal and he still continued to do this afterwards. Too many bad habits for my liking.

Firstly, thanks for the pub recommendations. After a bit of research, we decided to go to The Windmill Tavern as the internet suggested they had Sky Sports, for the Aberdeen game, and served food. On arrival I was encouraged by the large banner outside saying 'SKY SPORTS LIVE HERE'. However, I was surprised when we entered to see, that despite there only being 15 mins to kick off, there was just one customer sat at the bar. I asked if they were showing the Dons game. "Nah pal, that's on Sky Sports and we dinnae have Sky Sports." So we left.

We went to the New Century Bar instead and it was absolutely fine. No food, but we got a chippy next door to eat on the way to the ground. Very nice haggis supper.

The game itself was pretty rubbish. The late equaliser made it feel like a defeat, as late equalisers are wont to do. But I'd have taken a point before the game, so can't really complain.

I was surprised to see a sign at the pie stall saying that they won't sell hot drinks to under 16s unless they're accompanied by an adult. What's that all about? That's the first time I've seen such a rule.

Oh, and the 17:16 direct train back to Edinburgh was cancelled so we had to go on a magical mystery tour of Lanarkshire and Midlothian which meant it took an extra hour to get home. Delightful.

Firstly, thanks for the pub recommendations. After a bit of research, we decided to go to The Windmill Tavern as the internet suggested they had Sky Sports, for the Aberdeen game, and served food. On arrival I was encouraged by the large banner outside saying 'SKY SPORTS LIVE HERE'. However, I was surprised when we entered to see, that despite there only being 15 mins to kick off, there was just one customer sat at the bar. I asked if they were showing the Dons game. "Nah pal, that's on Sky Sports and we dinnae have Sky Sports." So we left.

We went to the New Century Bar instead and it was absolutely fine. No food, but we got a chippy next door to eat on the way to the ground. Very nice haggis supper.

The game itself was pretty rubbish. The late equaliser made it feel like a defeat, as late equalisers are wont to do. But I'd have taken a point before the game, so can't really complain.

I was surprised to see a sign at the pie stall saying that they won't sell hot drinks to under 16s unless they're accompanied by an adult. What's that all about? That's the first time I've seen such a rule.

Oh, and the 17:16 direct train back to Edinburgh was cancelled so we had to go on a magical mystery tour of Lanarkshire and Midlothian which meant it took an extra hour to get home. Delightful.

You went to The Rex Cafe. Very good pakora suppers too I might ad.

A grand total of 65 seconds of match highlights during last night's Sportscene. I hear the Motherwell website have a full 8 minutes though so I'll have to check that out.

On the plus side, despite not managing to show replays of the goals, Sportscene did manage to feature me finishing off my haggis supper before entering the ground...

Archived