Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

EDIT - It's a long shot that Murray will go out here. It basically takes Del Potro to win in three sets but do so by winning a lot of games more than Federer, so two comfortable sets won to one tight one lost.
Dont blame me blame BBC Sport! I was right with my first on that point.

Federer game has been great so far - Federer winning the 2nd set tie break to make it 1-1.

Needless to say my claim is now potentially coming back to haunt me! :lol:

Del Potro was two points from eliminating Federer at 5-4 on serve in the tie break but having lost it Federer is now through. When he won his first game of the third set he clinched enough to make sure he was going through one way or another. If Del Potro now wins this set on any score other than 7-6 Murray is out. If Federer wins he goes through.

Needless to say my claim is now potentially coming back to haunt me! :lol:

Del Potro was two points from eliminating Federer at 5-4 on serve in the tie break but having lost it Federer is now through. When he won his first game of the third set he clinched enough to make sure he was going through one way or another. If Del Potro now wins this set on any score other than 7-6 Murray is out. If Federer wins he goes through.

I thought del potro had to win 6-3 or better. At least I think that's what Pat Cash said...

I thought del potro had to win 6-3 or better. At least I think that's what Pat Cash said...

Five Live's Expert disagrees with the main BBC. :lol:

They've just had a debate about it on radio and the BBC guy conceded that Five Live were probably right. BBC are presuming it goes on game difference but it doesn't, it goes on percentage of games won and Del Potro will be higher on that if he wins by any score other than 7-6.

So:

Federer is through.

Del Potro goes with him if he wins the set without the need for a tiebreak.

A Federer win or a 7-6 Del Potro win puts Murray through with Fed.

I think!

Most confusing tournament ever!

"Right, I'm trying to work out how Del Potro can win this third set and take Murray through with him - basically, the Brit's hopes seem to rely on Federer winning but more on that to follow. Back on court, Del Potro gets the deciding set under way with a confident hold."

"It seems the only way Del Potro can win and take Murray through with him is if he wins this set on a tie-break. Anyway, nobody seems to know for sure so we may as well concentrate on the tennis and worry about that later. Del Potro holds out with ease too."

"OK. I'm told that, if Federer gets to four games in this set, he and Murray are through - regardless of whether Del Potro goes on to win the match. Del Potro holds - sorry for the lack of description but I'm spending more time on my calculator than I am with my keyboard."

Most confusing tournament ever!

"Right, I'm trying to work out how Del Potro can win this third set and take Murray through with him - basically, the Brit's hopes seem to rely on Federer winning but more on that to follow. Back on court, Del Potro gets the deciding set under way with a confident hold."

"It seems the only way Del Potro can win and take Murray through with him is if he wins this set on a tie-break. Anyway, nobody seems to know for sure so we may as well concentrate on the tennis and worry about that later. Del Potro holds out with ease too."

"OK. I'm told that, if Federer gets to four games in this set, he and Murray are through - regardless of whether Del Potro goes on to win the match. Del Potro holds - sorry for the lack of description but I'm spending more time on my calculator than I am with my keyboard."

STOP the Press!

They are still debating this on the radio and the radio guy has just explained his calculation and he's WRONG. :lol:

So it would seem that Del Potro does need to win 6-3.

...............which is now serving to do!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

STOP the Press!

They are still debating this on the radio and the radio guy has just explained his calculation and he's WRONG. :lol:

So it would seem that Del Potro does need to win 6-3.

...............which is now serving to do!

This is funny :lol:

A three set win for Del Potro comes down to games won percentage to see who wins the group and then, once that's decided, the head to head between the other two decides it. So if Del Potro was to have the best games won percentage he'd win the group and Murray would go out having lost to Federer. But if Federer has the best games won percentage he'd win the group and Murray would go through as runner up on the head to head.

Is this wrong then? I wish it wasn't because it would put Murray through, but regardless, and although it's practically difficult to do, it's unfair that the final two matches aren't played simultaneously when they could depend on each other. If Murray was playing Verdasco second and knew he had to get a break in that 3rd set I'm pretty sure he would have played a different game. It all makes it very exciting but it is a little unfair on Murray.

Stitch up!

That's what i'm thinking. Is it too much of a leap of faith to assume Fed acted his way through that match to stitch up Murray?

Maybe not, the rules were far too confusing for him to be certain of what was needed to do it but it seems off that 2 players playing each other needed a specific score for both to progress and lo and behold - it happens.

Probably being too hard on Fed because he beat Murray comfortably anyway (and Murray had it in his own hands) but a little unfair that this game wasn't played as an equal to earlier match.

Germany v Austria in the 1982 World Cup anyone? :P

The most unfair thing about it for me is that games won and lost can be determined to an extent by who serves first in a set. Tennis is based on service breaks and holds, so there is really little difference between the performance of a player who wins a set 6-3 with a single break of serve and one who wins a set 6-4. If Murray had won the coin toss against Verdasco and served first in the first set, he would have likely won it 6-3, instead of 6-4 and gone through. Circumstances like that shouldn't affect who goes through and who gets knocked out.

Edited by bunkmedal

I thought it was quite straightforward. Because Murray won two matches 2-1, a 2-1 win for Del Potro would put him out as both he and Federer had already won at least one match 2-0. Therefore both there 'set differences would be greater than Murrays.