Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Heard an embarrassing phone in on the way home from work yesterday on Talk Sport, where idiot Scottish people queued up to embarrass themselves by trotting out the old paranoid lie about "When he wins he is British, and when he loses he is Scottish".

Dear oh dear.

There was an English guy on Five Live this morning saying he wouldn't be supporting Andy Murray because of the time he wore a Peru [sic] top.

There was an English guy on Five Live this morning saying he wouldn't be supporting Andy Murray because of the time he wore a Peru [sic] top.

Yes, some w****r made this same point in this phone in. Even when Wright of all people corrected him about it, and said Murray's remarks were totally taken out of context he reverted to plan B which was "err, the Scots hate us, so why should we support one of them".

Can't think of a reason why a Scottish sports fan would refuse to back Andy Murray.

Individual sport. He's competing for himself, pure and simple. I prefer Federer and Nadal as players. If he was playing Hewitt I'd have supported Murray.

If and when he next bothers his arse to play Davis Cup for GBR I will support him in that.

Edited by H_B

If he hits a shot that bounces on the other side of the net and spins back over to his own side without the opponent touching it he'd win the point. Same as if it took a second bounce on the other side of the net without being hit back.

The ball would have to bounce again on the other side of the net for the point to be over. Last I checked- it was the one rule where you are allowed to touch the ball on your oponents side of the net and not lose the point. (without your body touching the net obviously)

I've done it myself as well. It was definitely not the best shot I've ever hit but amusing.

The ball would have to bounce again on the other side of the net for the point to be over. Last I checked- it was the one rule where you are allowed to touch the ball on your oponents side of the net and not lose the point. (without your body touching the net obviously)

I've done it myself as well. It was definitely not the best shot I've ever hit but amusing.

Well obviously. Sorry, I maybe wasn't too clear there. The point isn't over when the ball physically bounces back over the net, it's over when it takes a second bounce unplayed by the opponent. In theory he can probably jump the net (without touching it) and even just brush the ball on its way back down to earth and he's deemed to have played a legal shot as he's contacted the ball and it has bounced on the side of the net he has to make it do.

Individual sport. He's competing for himself, pure and simple. I prefer Federer and Nadal as players. If he was playing Hewitt I'd have supported Murray.

If and when he next bothers his arse to play Davis Cup for GBR I will support him in that.

Exactly whats your problem with Hewitt, he has a massive heart and unbelieveable desire to win which covers over the fact he isn't very good. You have to a be a cocky b*****d to win in sport the ones who weren't didn't make it.

Exactly whats your problem with Hewitt, he has a massive heart and unbelieveable desire to win which covers over the fact he isn't very good.

Lleyton Hewitt was an excellent player. You don't win multiple Grand Slams by being "not very good", no matter how hard you work.

I didn't like his on court persona, including big "Cumonnns" when his opponent misses, which is poor tennis ettiquette, and one of the reasons he was much despised in the game. Not as much as Marcelo Rios mind you, who every year won the players vote for "Most Hated Player". Not sure who currently holds this title.

You have to a be a cocky b*****d to win in sport the ones who weren't didn't make it.

Nonsense. Sport is no different to anything else. You get a complete mix of personalities, from the very humble to the arrogant b*****ds.

It is a complete myth that you have to be an arsehole to succeed.

Edited by H_B

Exactly whats your problem with Hewitt, he has a massive heart and unbelieveable desire to win which covers over the fact he isn't very good. You have to a be a cocky b*****d to win in sport the ones who weren't didn't make it.

Hewitt is a dick.

And there's a difference between being cocky and a world-beater, and being sneeringly arrogant without the goods to back it up. Hewitt is the latter.

Lleyton Hewitt was an excellent player. You don't win multiple Grand Slams by being "not very good", no matter how hard you work.

Nonsense. Sport is no different to anything else. You get a complete mix of personalities, from the very humble to the arrogant b*****ds.

It is a complete myth that you have to be an arsehole to succeed.

Hewitt is a dick.

And there's a difference between being cocky and a world-beater, and being sneeringly arrogant without the goods to back it up. Hewitt is the latter.

Pish, you have to be arrogant and cocky to succeed, off the field you dont't have to be but when you step out to play whatever sport you are good at you have to become an arrogant, cocky p***k.

See: T Woods, P Harrington, P Mickelson, R Nadal, R Federer, N Djokovic, A Murray, C Ronaldo, L Messi, Kaka

You could name many many more

Pish, you have to be arrogant and cocky to succeed, off the field you dont't have to be but when you step out to play whatever sport you are good at you have to become an arrogant, cocky p***k.

Err, no you don't.

See: T Woods, P Harrington, P Mickelson, R Nadal, R Federer, N Djokovic, A Murray, C Ronaldo, L Messi, Kaka

There is nothing cocky about either Nadal or Federer on court. Nadal is also universally regarded as being incredibly humble and nice off court. I have seen nothing arrogant about him on court.

Err, no you don't.

There is nothing cocky about either Nadal or Federer on court. Nadal is also universally regarded as being incredibly humble and nice off court. I have seen nothing arrogant about him on court.

There is nothing arrogant about Nadal on court!!!!! Look harder then, and Federer is extremely cocky in an over confident way.

There is nothing arrogant about Nadal on court!!!!! Look harder then

Explain.

What exactly does Nadal do on court that is in any way arrogant other than err, win an awful lot?

Is it the arrogant way that he organises his water bottles on the changeovers you are referring to?

Explain.

What exactly does Nadal do on court that is in any way arrogant other than err, win an awful lot?

Is it the arrogant way that he organises his water bottles on the changeovers you are referring to?

Nadal plays keepie-up on the base line. :lol:

Agree with H_B over celtic_glasgow's versions of who is arrogant and cocky and who isn't.

But seriously, Padraig Harrington? I don't think you can include him as cocky, I think you are confusing cocky/arrogant with concentration. All the sportsmen that celtic_glasgow has listed show great levels of concentration doing whichever sport it is they play.

Nadal plays keepie-up on the base line.

Only when not removing his shorts from his arse crack ;)

All the sportsmen that celtic_glasgow has listed show great levels of concentration doing whichever sport it is they play.

Exactly, and belief in their own ability, which is absolutely not the same as arrogance.

Agree with H_B over celtic_glasgow's versions of who is arrogant and cocky and who isn't.

But seriously, Padraig Harrington? I don't think you can include him as cocky, I think you are confusing cocky/arrogant with concentration. All the sportsmen that celtic_glasgow has listed show great levels of concentration doing whichever sport it is they play.

I play sport at a pretty high leveland have known a few guys go on to bigger and better things and every single one of them are cocky b*****ds, because you have to be confident and arrogant to be the best.