Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Would be quite good to see Potty win it. His forehand shot is a fucking babe.

Potty is a beast, no doubt. However, Nadal is right up his street and makes him look even better than he is. Rafa's basic shot just isn't effective against Potty as by the time the ball gets into his hitting zone the spin is a lot less and it's target practice. Think Nadal may struggle to ever beat Potty on hard courts unless he brings his absolute 'A' game to the table. Same could be said for other players but the likes of Fed, Murray and Joko have more options to combat Potty's arsenal.

The big guy played a superb tournament. He is a great player and he really had to dig out a comeback against a Federer who had been playing some great tennis all tournament as well.

This won't be a one off for Del Potro. He is the real deal.

I don't see him ever winning the French or Wimbledon, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least a couple more US/Australian titles.

He doesn't move around that well. But I'm sure he will work on it. He has everything in his game to win on most surfaces.

No reason why he can't do well on grass, especially now that Wimbledon is tricked up to make it slower. Or on clay.

Yet more worry for Mr. Murray.

Indeed. A bit of a kick in the teeth for Murray. All the talk and hype and then 20 year old Potty gets his first slam under his belt with Murray losing mid-tournament.

Hope it worries him enough to adopt a more attacking approach in the slams,then who knows.

It's definitely needed. He isn't going to win fuck all if he keeps playing the way he does.

Word of caution for Potty. When Nole won the Aus Open he was soon annointed as the main challenger to the GOAT and is now seen as a disappointment. Reading some reaction around the web this morning you get the impression that Potty now dominates mens tennis. The GOAT is not motivated, Rafa is stuck in a cycle of self induced injury, Murray is a pat-a-cake merchant who chokes at Slams, Nole is the new Davydenko (ie gets deep in tournaments and wins nothing) and the rest are window dressing. I think Potty can and probably will win more slams but as things stand he's had a good 14 days. Let's see how he handles the pressure and expectation of being favourite for the Aus Open.

In fairness winning against the GOAT from a set down and ending his 40 match winning streak in your first Slam final at the age of 20 is a good indication that you can handle pressure.

Murray started off the same last year and got a pumping - thats the difference - one setback and he goes into his shell when it matters. Del Potro is the polar opposite to Murray in that respect and I fancy him to win the Aus Open too.