Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Guest The Phoenix
I agree with Stewarty though, apart from the fact that SD has proved it numerous times, we'll never be able to prove it so we should just stop.

:lol::lol:

Having studied the tournaments each will play and won't play this forthcoming season, and the ones they played last season (something I never done previously), I shall concede the following point to the Drifter, and by definition, also to Virtual Insanity.

Conceptually, I am correct, however, specifically, you two are. ;)

That's as near an admission of me being wrong as you'll ever get from me. :lol:

Having studied the tournaments each will play and won't play this forthcoming season, and the ones they played last season (something I never done previously), I shall concede the following point to the Drifter, and by definition, also to Virtual Insanity.

Conceptually, I am correct, however, specifically, you two are. ;)

That's as near an admission of me being wrong as you'll ever get from me. :lol:

:thumsup2

It's a bit like getting a valentine from your mother (except in Fife or Stranraer where that can often mean something completely different :rolleyes: ). It's not really exactly what you want but it'll do and it's better than nothing.

:thumsup2

It's a bit like getting a valentine from your mother (except in Fife or Stranraer where that can often mean something completely different :rolleyes: ). It's not really exactly what you want but it'll do and it's better than nothing.

:lol::lol:

I just hope Djokovic's points DO come off on Monday, to save at least a tad of pride :P

If he wins it, he'll almost certainly move up to Number 3, as Djokovic is defending champion, and he's immediately ahead of him in the rankings.

The difference in points right now is 3400. Djokovic will lose 2000 this week as the points for last year's tourney drop off this week (we think), whereas Murray should only lose 10 this week as he was a 1st round loser last year. Therefore the difference will be down to just under 1400.

Now, presuming there's no other points to go on for them both between now and the end of the tournament, this means should Murray win in Melbourne, he'll get 2000 points, meaning Djokovic would have to get 600 or more to stay number 3 (which by my admittedly erratic calculations, means reaching the semi finals, as the quarters only nets 500 now)

cheers bud, i get it now

See the draw is out for the Aussie Open, can any clever clogs give us an indication of when Murray is likely to meet his first sticky opponent?

He's in section 2, Nadal's half of the draw.

He first faces Andrei Pavel who should be relatively easily despatched. He's been a half decent player in his day but he's 34 now and has been out injured for about a year.

If he wins that he'll face either Gabashvili of Russia or Granollers of Spain, neither of whom I've ever heard of! The Russian is ranked 64 in the world, the Spaniard is 50 so there's probably not an awful lot to choose between them and Murray ought to be way too good for either.

No 31 seed Jurgen Melzer is the likely 3rd round opponent. Murray beat him in Davis Cup at Winbledon at the end of last year. He's not a bad player but also nowhere near Murray's class.

Then it starts to get more complicated. He's seeded to meet Fernando Verdasco, No 14, in the last 16 although the dangerous Radek Stepanek or even Arnaud Clement could be there by then.

Last eight could potentially see James Blake or Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in his sights. Here is where it gets really dangerous obviously and Tsonga, beaten finalist in the Aussie last year, knocked Murray out in the 1st round last year.

Obviously if he makes last four then Nadal is likely to await and then either Djokovic or Federer in a final.

Thanks cheif, couldn't make sense of the printable draw on the Australian Open site. Obviously logic states he should make at least the Quarters then who knows.

Tsonga would be a tricky one of course but you've got to fancy the big man at the moment. I'll say semis at least.

Neither Blake nor Tsonga are in particularly great form, so I can see Gulbis as a potential last eight opponent for Murray. Which would be tricky, but I'd still expect him to get through.

His route to that stage is as straightforward as he could have hoped for, very few dangerous 'floaters' in that part of the draw.

Good draw for him to be honest. Excellent chance of the semis at least.

Yeah, I don't think he could have asked for an awful lot more in terms of his quarter of the draw. I think Gulbis flatters to deceive more often than not too Stewart. If Murray is fit then, in the sort of form he has been in the last six months, semi finals is the very least you'd be looking for. That back of his is always an issue though I suppose.

I'd guess he would rather have been in Federer's half of the draw than Nadal's but that's getting picky and Nadal's possibly in worse form than Fed at the moment anyway. Just that Murray, away from major finals(!) appears to have the complete Indian Sign over Fed but has yet to prove he can do that consistently to Nadal.

That back of his is always an issue though I suppose.

I can only think that , or crazy heat (and he will likely play a good few matches at night anyway), can hold him back from the semis.

I can only think that , or crazy heat (and he will likely play a good few matches at night anyway), can hold him back from the semis.

He won his first Masters title in 100+ degree heat so that really shouldn't affect him too much. His vastly improved fitness levels should see to that.

I like my tennis and I like Andy Murray but is it just me who thinks that all the hype surrounding him actually winning the tournament is just setting up for (an early) disappointment? Hope i'm wrong but just my gut feeling.

I like my tennis and I like Andy Murray but is it just me who thinks that all the hype surrounding him actually winning the tournament is just setting up for (an early) disappointment?

That's up to Murray himself. He is clearly good enough to win this tournament. I'm not sure whatelse he has to do to prove this.

People think he has a great chance because he HAS a great chance. And any disappointment will be justified.