Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

A swift 6-3 6-2 win for Andy in the wee small hours. Plays Carlos Berlocq of Argentina next, who beat Kei Nishikori convincingly too. Not sure if the 2 have met before? Certainly not in the recent past anyroad.

Didn't manage to stay awake for the Murray match so didn't see any of that. Looks like a straight forward win for Murray and now equals their head to head record. The only previous meeting was at the Beijing Olympics where Murray was papped out in the first round.

I watched the Djokovic match and Dimitrov absolutely choked the first set. He was serving for the first set when he double faulted four times to give Djokovic the break back. Djokovic stepped it up on the tie break. There was a great piece of sportsmanship. Dimitrov fired in an ace that was called out. Dimitrov challenged and it was shown in. The Umpire then said First Service. Djokovic actually questioned the Umpire why it was first service and not a point. He was told that's the rules. Djokovic then stated he would concede the point. Fair play from Novak.

Interesting match tonight. The in form Gulbis against the recovering Nadal. The walkover victory for Nadal last night will help him. Seppi made Gulbis work for his win. Gulbis has twice the talent of Seppi, but Seppi works hard and has a great attitude. Gulbis would do well to match his attitude. Seppi should never be ranked higher than Gulbis.

I'm not going to lie I used to detest Djokovic, however over the last few years I've grown I like him. He's a true gent on and off the court, I mean how often would players concede a point like that. If only that sort of honestly could be applied to football.

Murray doesn't look right to me here. Forehand is way off, he looks very frustrated and appears to be occasionally holding his left thigh as if there could be a slight injury.

Serving for the match now, but can't see him going much further playing like this. Wasn't brilliant in the first two matches either. Will be interesting to see if he raises his level against better opposition.

JMDP it is for Murray. A level above what he's played so far. I actually fancy him to lose this 2-1. He hasn't been great this week.

Djokovic has taken the first set against Querrey 6-0 in a match that started at midnight local time.

Edit - Takes the match 6-0 7-6.

Edited by TheScarf

Didn't realise Nadal got a coaching violation last night against Gulbis. At 1-1 in the final set, he aas standing next to a line judge who happened to be bi-lingual in English and Spanish and heard Francisco Roig telling Rafa, in Spanish, to hit to Gulbis' backhand.

Nadal of course, didn't deny it. Apparently he has previous for this as well. So we can add this to the trainer time-outs and taking 10 minutes between points to the list of things he does.

Yeah I seen that. Nadal took exception to this and asked for the line judge to say exactly what he said to the umpire. Nadal claimed he was speaking Mallorcan dialect and the line judge couldn't be sure what was said. However the umpire stated that it came from your coach, therefore it was coaching.

Novak has also taken trainer time outs and takes forever between points. He can bounce that tennis ball up to 21 times before he puts it in the air. Novak is a good sport when he is winning, however he can go into that grey area as well. But Nadal always does it.

Murray wasn't very good and did enough to win last night. No more than he had to do. I think he will beat Del Potro as well. It is a good match up. I am looking forward to the Nadal Federer match tonight. Both aren't playing that well, so if it comes to who is more determined not to lose, I think Nadal might just take it. Federer will be moving Nadal all match long though, it will be interesting if Nadal's knee can take the punishment. I believe Federer was also struggling with a back injury, so he will be looking to finish the points early.

Nadal wins 6-4 6-2. Reports say Federer's back was giving him problems like it was the other day against Wawrinka. Nadal plays Berdych in the SF.

I fell asleep watching it. I watched the highlights this morning, and Nadal was very impressive. Certainly his most impressive result since coming back from injury (slightly better than Ferrer 6-2 6-0) due to the quality of his opponent.

Again Nadal's demise has clearly been unfounded. It now gives Murray the opportunity to claim the No.2 spot. If he makes the final he will overtake Federer.

Close first set which goes to a tie break which has only seen 2 break points in this set both went to Del Porto but Murray saved them both.

Murray wins tie break 7-5 so first set to him 7-6.

Winner will play Djokovic as he won 6-3 6-1 against Tsonga.

Edit

Del Porto wins the second set 6-3 after Murray lost his first service game this set and again Murray has seen no break points on Del Porto serve.

Edited by booitsme7

Del Potro's forehand has been immense this week. Djokovic wasn't so sporting when Del Potro was serving. Del Porto hit a huge first serve, Djokovic barely touched it, was called out, Del Potro challenges and wins the challenge. Umpire correctly gives first serve as the "out" put Djokovic off. No conceding this time.

Quite an interesting final, with Nadal leading the head to head 7-3 although Del Potro's three wins have all came on Hard surfaces as Indian Wells is. Del Potro absolutely beasted Nadal on his way to his only major success, and if his forehand is as impressive as it has been this week Nadal will need to be at the top of his game.

Nadal is back to doing what he does best finding a way to win. I believe it is a genuine 50/50 chance for either player tonight, so the value is back Del Potro at 29/18 with Pinnacle Sports.

How close is Murray to overtaking Fed now?

Edit:

Miami Masters is next, a week on Monday. By my calculations Murray is about 14-1500 points behind now, but the gap will be down to more like 500 now. Unfortunately, Murray has a lot of points to defend (runner up last year), while Fed only made the third round.

So likely the gap will open up a bit again unless Murray wins the tournament and Federer exits early.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

Federer is not playing Miami or the Monte Carlo Masters. Federer won Indian Wells last year so he will lose 820 points. Murray went out on Round 2 last year and made the QFs this year so will gain 170 points. So a swing of 990 points. He should be 365 points behind tomorrow. Federer has 10 points to defend in Miami and he skipped Monte Carlo last year. Murray will have to win one of the next two Masters to realistically overtake Federer anytime soon.