Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Ward lost in 3 sets to give Italy the tie 3-2.

In the other ties

France came back from 2-0 to win 3-2 against Germany and Czech Rep beat Japan 5-0.

Switzerland and Kazakhstan are tied at 2-2 with the last match not long started with Federer up a break at 3-2 in the first set.

Edited by booitsme7

• 2 weeks later...

It could be a very open French Open this year. I don't think Nadal has fully recovered from whatever back injury he suffered in Australia. He has been reserved and his movement has been hindered. If Novak was to miss out, Ferrer may have an opportunity to win a slam. Federer is also expected to take a quick break from Tennis to attend the birth of his next child and has stated he will skip whatever tournament it coincides with.

Wawrinka won his first Masters title today and moved to No.1 in the Race to London. I think it will be exceptionally hard for Murray to break into the top four by Wimbledon. However if he was ranked no.5 I would expect him to get an elevated seeding.

Spent some time today watching his win at Wimbledon. With the tension we all remember especially in the final game it`s easy to forget how well he played that day. Hell he was good. Watching the highlights still makes me emotional. Great day for a truly world class sportsman. We should enjoy him while we can.

Spent some time today watching his win at Wimbledon. With the tension we all remember especially in the final game it`s easy to forget how well he played that day. Hell he was good. Watching the highlights still makes me emotional. Great day for a truly world class sportsman. We should enjoy him while we can.

It's the three points Djokovic plays after Murray has three match points which gets me. Absolute brilliance from Novak, to put Murray under intense pressure, and when he is on the verge of losing the game and handing the break back, he produces some sublime shots. I still think the crowd put Novak off in the last point in which he makes the error. It's a great match.

Murray has dropped to 12th in the race to London. No word on his coach as of yet, but in the BBC webcast he was asked about who was the next man to take over and he hinted it might be a woman. Martina Navratalova stated she would be interested.

It's the three points Djokovic plays after Murray has three match points which gets me. Absolute brilliance from Novak, to put Murray under intense pressure, and when he is on the verge of losing the game and handing the break back, he produces some sublime shots. I still think the crowd put Novak off in the last point in which he makes the error. It's a great match.

Murray has dropped to 12th in the race to London. No word on his coach as of yet, but in the BBC webcast he was asked about who was the next man to take over and he hinted it might be a woman. Martina Navratalova stated she would be interested.

Yes absolutely epic stuff. The last match still makes me tense even though I know the outcome. Top sport from 2 fantastic players.

We watched it live while on holiday in Spain. What a day that was :thumsup2

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Draw for the Madrid Master is out and Andy Murray is seeded to face Nicolas Almagro in the second round. Although Murray has won three of the four matches they have played, Almagro won their only encounter on the red clay at the French Open. If he was to win this Masters he would be seeded to face the following:

R16 Tsonga, QF Federer, SF Nadal, F Djokovic. He made the QF last year so it will be tough for him to equal last year's showing. But his draw could have been a lot harder earlier on.

Edited by Loki

Djokovic withdraws from Madrid with his wrist/arm injury. This means a lucky loser will take his place.

Hopefully Murray makes the semi finals against Nadal. The last time they played each other Murray hadn't employed Ivan Lendl.

Federer pulls out of Madrid. Makes Murray's potential path to glory slightly easier. He will face Almagro tomorrow after he came through in three sets, winning the last in a tiebreaker.

Beaten by Giraldo very comfortably in straight sets, first time he's beaten a top 10 player too. Definitely looks a shadow of the player he was last year.

He's never been a great clay court player but the back surgery doesn't look like a success to me, is it possible he won't even be a top 10 player come Wimbledon?