Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Tsonga served like a demon. Murray chucked it away with two absolutely horrendous service games in the final set. Very disappointing.

Chucked the 3rd set away maybe, but he was fortunate to make it that far, he was second best for most of the match I felt. The only time he got the upper hand (end of the 2nd set, start of the 3rd) was down to Tsonga's serve collapsing temporarily.

He still looks a little rusty to me and short of match practice, doesn't look as steady or reliable as he needs to be.

Tsonga continued to serve like a demon throughout the tournament taking out Dimitrov and Federer in straight sets to win the title.

I agree with you Diamonds that he was fortunate to be in that position, but it is always disappointing to see him throw in some horrific service games. You expect one, but two is poor. The run of 20/22 points was vintage Murray. He is very close to being back. Just needs a big win. I am glad Tsonga won though as he is my favourite player outwith Murray.

Murray beat Isner with immaculate tennis. The willpower and mental strength needed to hold every service game against Isner was incredible.

Isner served 21 aces in three sets, and his fastest serve in the match was 141 mph. Murray just kept holding serve with a huge number of very solid rallies and then went up a gear in the deciding tie break.

Great match, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hopefully this victory is the turning point for Murray's season. He played the big points terribly last week in Toronto against Tsonga. With a bit of form and going deep in Paris and Shanghai, he'll be right up there again come the O2 in November, and not languishing at 10 in the world.

If Murray was to make the final he would sneak to world number eight and that would be great for his seeding at the US open. Although I think every player would hate to get Murray as a last 16 opponent.

Get the feeling he'll win 2-0 tonight against Federer. His backhand seems to be firing pretty well and Federer seems to be having lapses this week and Murray doesn't usually need a second invitation.