Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

That was a terrible performance from Murray, quite concerning to watch. It wasn't even as if Federer played well - he actually had more unforced errors than Murray despite winning in straight straights. A pretty rotten match all in.

Like I said last week I still think Murray looks short of match practice, he only played twice last week and three times this week and before that hadn't played for ages.

I still think he'll have a decent US Open but a lot will depend on the draw given his low seeding.

The amount of matches he has chucked away this year from being in a winning position is very concerning. The double break up in the second set and still losing the set was horrific to watch. Federer wasn't particularly good, but Murray's serving was terrible. I agree with you Diamonds, I think he should have played Washington as well. He still hasn't beat a top 10 opponent since beating Novak @ Wimbledon. On the evidence of last night that doesn't look like a stat that will change anytime soon.

He may have an opportunity to still get a top eight seeding as Rafa is still struggling with his injury. By all accounts he still can not hit his double backhand well, and has delayed his announcement on his participation until next week. Although Rafa is always injured and recovers well enough to wins Slams all the time. The draw for the US Open will be later on in the next week.

Would quite like to see Bennetaeu and Raonic win their semi finals.

Berdych, Raonic and Dimitrov are all catchable, and Murray should have enough to get through the early rounds even in his current form, but he really needs to get deep in this tournament if he wants to make the Top 8 by London, as this is his best chance to make up a fairly significant points difference (350 to Berdych).

Some draw assuming seeds perform to their seeding. Haase, Stepanek, verdasco, Tsonga, Djokovic, wawrinka and Federer. Stinking draw.

Murray hasn't beat a top 10 player since Wimbledon last year and he will have to this year just to make the quarter to finals.

Some draw assuming seeds perform to their seeding. Haase, Stepanek, verdasco, Tsonga, Djokovic, wawrinka and Federer. Stinking draw.

Murray hasn't beat a top 10 player since Wimbledon last year and he will have to this year just to make the quarter to finals.

Ouch. Hadn`t looked in that detail. :(

• 2 weeks later...

He is also playing the 500 China Open event. As part of his contract as commitment player (top 30) he has to play 4 500 events. Monte Carlo counts towards this despite being a Master event but as Murray opted to skip this, I would maybe see him adding Valencia or Basle to his schedule pre Paris Masters. Although if it looks like he will qualify he might just skip it and take the fine.

The 250 event should give him a good opportunity to perhaps make his first final of the year. Ferrer and Gasquet will be his main rivals. Murray now has to make sure he beats everyone that is directly ahead of him in the race if they are to meet.