Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Some roll he's on just now.

He's starting to look a bit fatigued to be honest. Absolutely massive match for him tomorrow if Ferrer gets through. If he doesn't, Murray will be strong favourite to win the whole shebang. For the first time in a while, he's looking like he's got his old resolve and a level of consistency back which has really been missing since his return from injury.

He's starting to look a bit fatigued to be honest. Absolutely massive match for him tomorrow if Ferrer gets through. If he doesn't, Murray will be strong favourite to win the whole shebang. For the first time in a while, he's looking like he's got his old resolve and a level of consistency back which has really been missing since his return from injury.

I thought it was quite noticable against Fognini yesterday, his defensive slice on the backhand that goes deep into the court seems to have returned. The one that puts the opponent on the back foot and forces them to play a almost half-volley forehand.

That particular shot won him Wimbledon last year IMO.

I thought it was quite noticable against Fognini yesterday, his defensive slice on the backhand that goes deep into the court seems to have returned. The one that puts the opponent on the back foot and forces them to play a almost half-volley forehand.

That particular shot won him Wimbledon last year IMO.

It's a devastating shot. There's times he simply wears opponents down doing it. No pace, just sheer accuracy and spin means it's basically a pick up on the base line and eventually leads to an easy put away. What I like is he throws in down the line slices too that drift out the court. That's generally really difficult to play against especially for a lefty. He's got the best backhand in the world for me, well double handed at least, I don't care about Djokovic's when Murray's is on form, he is the best bar none.

It's good to see him winning, I don't think he'll mind the fatigue, simply because it's near the end of the season anyway and he'll get his rest in a months time. This is all about showing he's still got the fight, cause there's no questioning his ability

Agree with everything that has been said. His defensive slice is back to what it was, his backhand is almost here, his forehand is even bigger at times. It is just a case of piecing it all back together, on reflection this is what this year has been about. A full pre season will see him in good stead for the Australian Open.

Raonic got beat by Goffin, so he will stay behind Murray in the race. A further win against Ferrer tomorrow will put him even further ahead. He is looking a heavy favourite for qualification now. Dimitov could make things very tight again if he was to get past Federer and make the final.

Murray looked like he was really up for it in the second and third sets against Anderson. Was always going to be a tough match if Big Kev was having a good day.

Ferrer breezed trough his match. Will be interesting to hear the draw for Paris. If Murray gets a shiter the game tomorrow will have even greater significance (on top of what it already has!)

Why did Cilic pull out of Paris? He hasn't looked great since the US Open despite his win in Moscow.

I also agree it is looking good for Murray next year. I don't think people realised just how long takes get back from a serious injury.

Definitely.

There was an article in the late summer from Richard Krajicek, praising Murray's year performance, whilst pretty much everyone was getting agitated and extremely worried about his performances. He found it remarkable that Murray was even able to play, let alone manage to be in the top 10 less than a year after having the surgery

There was never any doubt whatsoever that Murray would/will get back to his 2013 form eventually. The status quo will be restored after the Australian Open

Shiter of a draw in Paris for Murray. In Djokovic's half, as is Ferrer. Murray will face Dimitrov in third round if both get through. He is getting no luck at all!

Raonic has a good draw. Might be the one to watch!

Well it means if he beats Dimitrov that he will finish above him. Shame getting Novak again, but he is got to be ready for him at some point. Nishikori or Ferrer will take one another out. Federer will take out Raonic in the quarter finals. Berdych again has a nice draw, although could get Lopez or Janowicz in the third round,

Not the best draw, but Paris tends to throw up a lot of shocks.

I thought a couple of months ago that he simply wasn't playing enough matches, and that was leading to inconsistency on the court. He was getting a bye in the first round of a Masters and then getting knocked out in the quarters, and then not playing until the next Masters and he just looked a bit rusty on the court - or to use a football cliche 'not match fit'. Having a light schedule is fine if you're going far into tournaments but he wasn't really and I think playing regularly recently has helped get his eye in and got that competitive edge back. Obviously there are physical implications of that though, but at this point in the season that shouldn't matter too much.

I still think given his injury he's had a decent season in terms of the Grand Slams - reaching at worst the quarter-finals in each one and reaching a semi-final at Roland Garros, that's pretty consistent and a good base to work from for next year when he should be in a better condition.

With the doubts over Nadal's participation in London and where he stands now I think a win tomorrow should be enough bar some unlikely results in Paris. It'll be another very close match though, toss of a coin.

Quotes on twitter stating that Nadal has also pulled out of London. Although hasn't been on anything creditable yet.

ITV News and Yahoo News both covering it now so it must be true.

Edited by Loki

Good win against Ferrer in straight sets, thought he played really well, minus 15 minutes at 3-0 in the second set.

Conveniently the only 15 minutes I saw of the match using Betfair video while on my break at work.

An absolutely brutal 4 games. :lol:

Murray just saved two championship points in the second set against Robredo, the first one in remarkable fashion. Should've won the second set long before that, but Murray has been making a habit lately of making things really difficult for himself before playing great to dig himself out of the hole. I wonder if he'll cruise the final set like he did a few weeks against Robredo in similar circumstances.