Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

See that both Raonic and Berdych both lost their finals so Murray should be 6th seed for the Aussie Open.

Yeah but to be honest it doesn't matter if you're 5th or 8th seed, it only matters if you get into the top four or slip to ninth in the rankings. It means Murray won't be facing Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Wawrinka before the QFs. Likewise he can't face the tricky Nishikori, Raonic or Berdych unless they put out a higher ranked seed.

There is a few tricky matches waiting in the last 16 with Dimitrov and Ferrer waiting. Cilic is out of the Australian Open as is Tsonga. Juan Martin Del Potro will be an unseeded player and getting Kyrgios in Australia might be tricky. The draw is made on Friday. Ideally I would want to see Murray in Wawrinka/Nadal's quarter and in Federer's half.

Novak has been getting some nice draws so a nightmare one for him would be funny. An absolute nightmare route for him would be Del Potro, Kyrgios, Karlovic, Ferrer, Wawrinka, Nadal, Murray.

More interesting is that a nightmare draw for Wawrinka could see him out of the top 10.

Yeah but to be honest it doesn't matter if you're 5th or 8th seed, it only matters if you get into the top four or slip to ninth in the rankings. It means Murray won't be facing Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Wawrinka before the QFs. Likewise he can't face the tricky Nishikori, Raonic or Berdych unless they put out a higher ranked seed.

There is a few tricky matches waiting in the last 16 with Dimitrov and Ferrer waiting. Cilic is out of the Australian Open as is Tsonga. Juan Martin Del Potro will be an unseeded player and getting Kyrgios in Australia might be tricky. The draw is made on Friday. Ideally I would want to see Murray in Wawrinka/Nadal's quarter and in Federer's half.

Novak has been getting some nice draws so a nightmare one for him would be funny. An absolute nightmare route for him would be Del Potro, Kyrgios, Karlovic, Ferrer, Wawrinka, Nadal, Murray.

More interesting is that a nightmare draw for Wawrinka could see him out of the top 10.

Good point. Agreed the best hope for Murray is to be in Feds half. He's due a good draw having been in Djokovic's half for the majority of tournaments since Wimbledon.

Will be interesting to see how Wawrinka gets on. Really hope he puts up a good fight! If not, I don't think he will make the top 4 again.

Andy Murray adds the Dubai 500 to his schedule in the last week in February. He played Rotterdam last year but now that Queens is a 500 event I can't see him playing two in February.

Kyle Edmund and Liam Broady both won their Qualifiers today and advance into the third round. One more win a piece and they will join Andy Murray and James Ward in the main draw.

AO15 draw just completed. Murray with what should be 3 comfortable wins to start, before likely facing Dimitrov in the 4th, Federer in the quarters and Nadal in the semis.

James Ward got Fernando Verdasco in R1, which is tough but winnable.

Yeah, good to have tennis back.

I just realised I said "likely facing ..... Nadal in the semis", which with the way Nadal is playing right now, might not be right. He has Youzhny in R1, easy R2, potentially Rosol in R3, Anderson in R4, Berdych in QF. Quite tough for a struggling Rafa.

Yeah just caught up with the draw, and it is a tricky one for Murray. I am pretty sure that Murray will be glad to have got Federer and Dimitrov as it gives him the opportunity to put his two worst defeats of last year behind him. He took Federer to four sets last year when still in recovery mode and beat him in the most one sided five set match ever the year before. Murray looks to be in good form, he has won all five (six if you count walkovers) and won two out of three mixed doubles matches at the Hopman Cup.

He looks to be in good form, and looks quicker, leaner, and has more pop on both his first and second serve.

Hopefully both Edmund and Broady get through tonight and make it into the first round as well. I think Verdasco will blast James Ward away, his forehand was magnificent against Nadal in that exhibition fast tennis match. But as Nightmare said, if the bad Verdasco shows up it is a very winnable tie.

Kyle Edmund makes the main draw but Broady got knocked out. Wannabe British player Alex Bedene also qualified for the main draw and his prize is a first round against Novak Djokovic. Edmund plays Steve Johnson which if he serves well could see him progress.

Andy Murray will play Indian Yuki Bhambri who is ranked 314th in the world. He is a former Junior number one and won the Australian Junior Open in 2009.

The more I look into Murray's draw the more I like it. He is seeded to face every one of his conquerers in the Grand Slam tournaments last year. No better way for him to show that he is back to his best.

Murray is also second on the Margaret Court arena on Monday. So should be about 2am Monday morning.

Edited by Loki

The more I look into Murray's draw the more I like it. He is seeded to face every one of his conquerers in the Grand Slam tournaments last year. No better way for him to show that he is back to his best.

Murray is also second on the Margaret Court arena on Monday. So should be about 2am Monday morning.

Funny how some people see things differently as I am the complete opposite! The worry for me is the potential Dimitrov or Goffin match. If he can get through that comfortably then I will feel more confident about the Federer match.

Funny how some people see things differently as I am the complete opposite! The worry for me is the potential Dimitrov or Goffin match. If he can get through that comfortably then I will feel more confident about the Federer match.

Murray is more talented than both and has more determination than both. It is a tricky last 16 tie but there is no guarantee either will get there. I think Baghdatis would be a very tricky opponent for both.

Likewise Federer has some very tricky guys in his section before the QF. Chardy always gives him problems, Karlovic could serve anyone off the court, plus the very young and fresh Coric is a dangerous opponent. Plus Tommy Robredo knocked Federer out of the US Open in 2013 in the last 16. So I would say there is no such thing as a gimme. Federer has a trickier route to the last 16 than Murray.

Particularly after last season's Grand Slam results there is no guarantee that a seed will make it to their seeded round. Why worry about a tough draw when it might not even materialise?

Vesely and Troicki won both 250 events this week as qualifiers, and are scheduled to meet in the First Round of the Open. Should be a good match up. Janowicz and Del Potro should be good also.

Del Porto pulls out with his injured wrist. Given his long injury lay off and his current injury status, will we ever see him again in the top 5? I have my doubts.

• 4 weeks later...

Murray returns to action tomorrow in Rotterdam. He faces Nicolas Mahut in the first round. Mahut is part of tennis history thanks to his match against Isner in 2010 which finished 70-68 in the fifth. Murray has a 3-1 H2H record with both sharing wins on grass, and the other two matches Murray wining on hard courts. He is third on, so should be on Sky mid afternoon.

Hopefully he can have a good run in the smaller tournaments this year. From memory, he always had a bit of sticky patch after losing the Australian Open. If he wins this week, he moves up to third in the rankings with Nadal playing next week instead.

He generally skipped them under Lendl and only entered Rotterdam and Acapulco last year to aid in recovery. I think this year he is using them to fire up the world rankings.