Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Yeah the indoors conditions play into Djokovics style perfectly. The more external factors disrupting Djokovic's rhythm the better for Murray. I make it that Murray can now lose every match at the Tour Finals and even if Federer won every match Murray could still keep number 2 by winning 2 live singles in the DC Final.

Bedene's appeal against his DC ban is next week, 16th and 17th I think. Deadline for naming the team is the 19th but according to Kevin Mitchell (not always reliable!) the team is being named on the 17th so seems unlikely that Bedene is being picked no matter what.

Perhaps, but Bedene is miles better than Ward or Edmund, he's probably at Edmund's likely peak potential in terms of world ranking. I don't really care about being harsh, whatever gives us the best chance of winning the thing. It may be that Smith thinks that sticking with the same squad and preserving the spirit does that, but I'm sure he won't be excluding Bedene on the grounds that it would be harsh on Ward.

Murray almost certain to be finish number 2 this year, which with Djokovic playing like he is is as good as he could hope for really. If he was to win the Davis Cup on top of that it would have been a great year. It would hopefully mean next year he sat out the Davis Cup and focused on the Slams. He'd be number 2 seed in Australia so would be favourite to reach the final again, he has a good year on the clay courts under his belt to build on, and I still think Wimbledon is his best shot of beating Djokovic. Sitting out the Davis Cup would also help him at the US Open where I think this year he was a bit burnt out, as well as having the Davis Cup ties at the back of his mind.

All looks set up for him to have a good year and try and push Djokovic, he wont have many more chances as you'd think sooner or later the 'next generation' will up their game - although still little sign of it if the line-up at the O2 is anything to go by. (half the field aged 30 plus, and 3 of the others 28/29).

Coric is going to need to make serious inroads in the next couple of years if he's going to show any indication of being a real Grand Slam contender rather than just another talented top 20 guy. The talent pool at the top of mens tennis doesn't look too good at the moment, 8 guys under 23 in the top 100, with Thiem at the top on 19. At that stage Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro were 3,4 and 5 in the world and had been for a while.

I know Djokovic doesn't play the brilliant lights out tennis that Federer could play at his peak, but his brilliance is making just about every ball every time. His error count is ridiculously low. He just wears down his opponents and destroys them. Murray can't really hurt him unless he gets his serve up to the standard that Djokovic has his. Murray has greatly improved his serve this season, but Djokovic still dismantles it.

If he wins the ATP finals he will have completed the greatest tennis year seen since Rod Laver completed his second calendar Grand Slam in 1969. Djokovic making the final of all Masters Events he has entered this season winning six.

As for Murray getting #2 in the world will greatly help him for next season. If he can show this consistency next year, and can even break even against Djokovic over the season, he might just have a chance of catching him if he was to win a Slam.

The draw for the ATP finals is on Thursday. Hopefully Murray gets Wawrinka in his group as we haven't seen that matchup for well over two years.

Andy Murray is training all this week on clay. He also trained the week before the Paris Masters on clay also. Most interesting though is his choice of hitting partner. Aljaz Bedene. His date for CAS is the 17th November the same day as GB has to announce the Davis Cup squad. Considering the likes of Dustin Brown has played competitively for both Jamaica and Germany, it would be a surprise to see him lose the appeal.

Ward has managed to win a challenger in India and made the SF in another in the past month. But that's all he has done since winning matches at Wimbledon.

Edmund hasn't played in over a month and has only played twice since losing in the US Open qualifying.

Dan Evans has only played Futures recently.

The squad will definitely be Murray, Murray, Inglot and Bedene if the appeal is won.

Andy Murray is training all this week on clay. He also trained the week before the Paris Masters on clay also. Most interesting though is his choice of hitting partner. Aljaz Bedene. His date for CAS is the 17th November the same day as GB has to announce the Davis Cup squad. Considering the likes of Dustin Brown has played competitively for both Jamaica and Germany, it would be a surprise to see him lose the appeal.

Ward has managed to win a challenger in India and made the SF in another in the past month. But that's all he has done since winning matches at Wimbledon.

Edmund hasn't played in over a month and has only played twice since losing in the US Open qualifying.

Dan Evans has only played Futures recently.

The squad will definitely be Murray, Murray, Inglot and Bedene if the appeal is won.

I'm pretty sure he'll win the appeal.

I remember an earlier post in this thread where I said the only reason Bedene changed countries was to play in the Davis Cup which I took stick for (where is H_B these days?).

I expect to be proven right.

Virtual insanity: I checked previous activity on the ATP website and of course hasn't been updated with current activity. Apologies.

Tommy Nooka: He didn't switch to play Davis cup. He has lived over here for longer than it is required to gain a passport. The British passport means he has less visa issues when travelling.

He would have changed nationality regardless of his Davis cup participation.

Virtual insanity: I checked previous activity on the ATP website and of course hasn't been updated with current activity. Apologies.

Tommy Nooka: He didn't switch to play Davis cup. He has lived over here for longer than it is required to gain a passport. The British passport means he has less visa issues when travelling.

He would have changed nationality regardless of his Davis cup participation.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then, I don't think he changed nationality for any reason other than to raise his profile playing alongside Andy Murray in the DC.

Plenty of people live in this country without changing nationality.

Why would a Slovenian have any more visa troubles than a Serb or a Croat?

We'll just have to agree to disagree then, I don't think he changed nationality for any reason other than to raise his profile playing alongside Andy Murray in the DC.

Plenty of people live in this country without changing nationality.

Why would a Slovenian have any more visa troubles than a Serb or a Croat?

Being a UK citizen means you can travel Visa free in most parts of the world. They are a lot of challenger events staged in Asia and the Americas that he would be required to get VISAs for. He does not have an admin team to organise that, he does it all himself. Taking UK citizenship means he doesn't have to do any of that. He has lived in the UK since 2008. Anybody in his position would take up UK citizenship. I certainly would.

The ATP Finals draw is out: Djokovic, Federer, Berdych, Nishikori in the first group and Murray, Wawrinka, Nadal and Ferrer in the second group.

Murray hasn't played Wawrinka in over two years so I am happy finally getting to see the matchup again. The order of play for the two days will be out later tonight. It normally follows that the winner of both matches from the first round robin matches play each other in the second round robin matches.

The ATP Finals draw is out: Djokovic, Federer, Berdych, Nishikori in the first group and Murray, Wawrinka, Nadal and Ferrer in the second group.

Murray hasn't played Wawrinka in over two years so I am happy finally getting to see the matchup again. The order of play for the two days will be out later tonight. It normally follows that the winner of both matches from the first round robin matches play each other in the second round robin matches.

Great draw for Murray. ... ferrer and Nadal are certs Imo, so should make semis with a shoot out against Stan for possibly top spot... or Stan might be shite