Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Both Evans and Edmund will be playing Challenger Finals today Edmund playing a very experienced Carlos Berlocq on clay. Winning there would put him in pole position for a Davis Cup spot.

Nishikori was taken apart by Djokovic today. The slow surface doing him no favours at all. Djokovic's precision wins time after time.

Rafa is starting to look more like his old self. Although the power in his forehand has waned, he is starting to get the depth in the shot that his needed to push players back to the baseline for his game to work. He has cranked up the height of the ball to stop the continual netting of his backhand. Looks like he is adapting his game. Still nowhere near Rafa at his peak but he's far better than he was in the summer.

Wawrinka was typical Stan and did everything half assed. He would play some sublime shots, and then just gift Nadal two or three points.

Murray has comprehensively taken Rafa apart in the two previous matches played this season (although one was an exhibition in Dubai 6-2 6-0). Rafa doesn't go after a second serve like Djokovic does, so if Murray can serve well he'll win.

I was looking forward to the Wawrinka Murray match up, but if that Stan turns up. Murray will win comfortably.

Initial team named as Murrays, Inglot, Ward and Edmund. Can be changed. Murray was pretty unequivocal that it should be changed if Bedene wins:

"I'm not the one that makes the rules. If he wins his appeal and is able to play, then, if I'm the captain, I'm picking my strongest team to try and win.

"But that's Leon's decision. That's what he's paid to do. I'm sure he'll make the right one and give us the best chance to win."

If the team stays like that I would see Edmund getting the nod ahead of Ward.

I would be very surprised to see Bedene lose his appeal. His passport application was submitted before the rule change came in on the 1st January, he had stayed the required amount of time to gain the passport, and Dustin Brown has played for Germany and Jamaica.

The Bedene appeal has been adjourned until March. Makes the second singles rubber an easy pick for me - Edmund. He's already beaten Darcis this year and is playing well on clay.

As for the deferment think it's the only way the ITF could stop Bedene getting picked. In March he will be cleared to play for sure.