Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv not watched much tennis this year, so where are the line judges?

Automatic line calls that had been trialled in the Next Gen Finals, and were implemented in the American swing last year.

Novak will continue to play despite being injured as he still thinks he’s good enough to win.  As Nadal is also nursing an injury.  Fognini Nadal will be a superb match I think, as I believe prime Fognini will be activated.  No crowd to distract him and for some reason he hates Nadal.  The only person to beat Nadal from 2-0 down has been Fognini.

Murray currently getting destroyed by Marchenko.  6-2 and a break down already in the second.

Marchenko is actually someone I’ve heard of so was always going to be a test and so it proved.

Watching Nadal v Fognini from earlier and despite Hawkeye literally being the line judge, the Italian is still questioning almost every out call against him. Some boi.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Marchenko is actually someone I’ve heard of so was always going to be a test and so it proved.

Watching Nadal v Fognini from earlier and despite Hawkeye literally being the line judge, the Italian is still questioning almost every out call against him. Some boi.

There was me thinking he would be on it, to be fair to him Nadal played exceptionally well.  Fognini when activated is some player.  Three of his wins against Nadal have come on clay.  But he has several screws loose.  Makes him box office to watch.

Andy Murray still on the entry list for the Challenger this week.  Mostly the same people in this week, could meet Marchenko in the final again.

He’s taken a wild card into Montpellier the week after.  So it’s still all about getting the matches.

I quite fancy Halep to beat Serena, Serena is playing pretty well, but just feel Halep has a bit too much movement for Serena these days.

If Djokovic makes it through tonight he makes the final.  Just can’t see Dimitrov or Karatsev doing anything against him.  Although Karatsev might just not feel any pressure and just go swinging.

Serena was excellent, and Karatsev did just go out there with no pressure and played superbly.  From a set down he controlled Dimitrov and pretty much looked like the experienced player.  

Serenas movement is considerably better than last time.  The semi vs Osaka should be superb.  Osaka has the power that Halep doesn’t have and has the movement as well.  Should be a cracking match.

Serena was excellent, and Karatsev did just go out there with no pressure and played superbly.  From a set down he controlled Dimitrov and pretty much looked like the experienced player.  

Serenas movement is considerably better than last time.  The semi vs Osaka should be superb.  Osaka has the power that Halep doesn’t have and has the movement as well.  Should be a cracking match.
In fairness, Dimitrov spent a good part of that match injured. He could barely make it up the stairs after it.

50 minutes ago, true_rover said:
10 hours ago, Loki said:

In fairness, Dimitrov spent a good part of that match injured. He could barely make it up the stairs after it.

I guess that’s the issue with basing an opinion on the highlights.  Seen in the post match conference that his back went into spasms and he could barely get his shoes on in the morning.  He looked alright in the highlights 😂

Andy Murray second on court tomorrow, should be on about 11am.  You can view all the challenger matches on the ATP website.  I struggle to see the ball on the Biella court due to my colour blindness, so it’s a tough watch.

Yeah this isn’t injury related. Good spell for him in Biella - I guess he’ll say he moved very well but timing was still way off - the ball kept flying long off his strings. He’s got looser strings now though to probably compensate for less power than previously so has to adapt

Is he playing with a new racket head size too? Just kind of looks a tad bigger but might just be the colour making it look bigger.

He needs to be tested on site before the tournament plays, so couldn’t play both.

He should give the hard courts a bash, get fitness up for Queens and Wimbledon. If he feels he just can't compete at high level, then he should use Wimbledon as his final swan song. Will be sad but so many phenomenal memories...
Seeing what Nadal and Novak are currently doing just shows the phenomenal era that he played in. Any other era at his prime he would have won many many more slams

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

What a shame, the arse picker will be furious.  Did he do the fake slide under the table at the interview like he did at the US Open?

It's just finished 10 minutes ago, no interviews in the press room yet.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Nadal loses 3-2 to Tsitsipas after leading 2-0.

It’s the only the third time that has ever happened.  Once when he was a teenager when lost to Federer in a Masters final.  Second to Fabio Fognini of all people at The US Open.

It has only happened to Djokovic once at the French Open lost to Jurgen Melzer in 2010.  I am not sure on Federer but he did lose to Tsonga after being two sets up at Wimbledon.

Murray has lost once from being two sets up.  To Nalbandian at Wimbledon in 2005.

It’s the only the third time that has ever happened.  Once when he was a teenager when lost to Federer in a Masters final.  Second to Fabio Fognini of all people at The US Open.
It has only happened to Djokovic once at the French Open lost to Jurgen Melzer in 2010.  I am not sure on Federer but he did lose to Tsonga after being two sets up at Wimbledon.
Murray has lost once from being two sets up.  To Nalbandian at Wimbledon in 2005.

Only other one I remember is Federer losing from 2-0 against Kevin Anderson at Wimbledon

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Only other one I remember is Federer losing from 2-0 against Kevin Anderson at Wimbledon

Well remembered.  I looked up the rest, it’s happened to him five times.  Lost to Hewitt in the Davis Cup in 03, Nalbandian Masters Cup in 05, Tsonga at Wimbledon 11, Djokovic US Open 11 and The aforementioned Kevin Anderson.