Who Will Be Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager?

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is to be Valakari, then it's a massive gamble. I sincerely hope the board understand the risk involved with this appointment. If this goes tits up, we'll be in the Championship next season.

And on their own heads be it should this appointment take place and then go tits up. They have already failed once in the last twelve months with an 'out the box' experiment type appointment, a second failure should see heads rolling.

As someone above said, there is a naivety in and around Motherwell FC just now and it certainly doesn't fill you with any confidence that they will make the right calls.

"Knowing the Scottish game" would be previous experience of coaching, managing, or indeed playing in Scotland, which I know Valakari did many years ago, over 15 to be precise so that hardly qualifies him as having an up to date understanding of the game up here, and the style of play, or contacts within the game, knowledge of players across the leagues, something which I feel we've neglected in recent times in favour of the English lower league market, which to be fair has worked okay for us until recently anyway.

I've said since Baraclough left, in fact since even before Mccall left that we needed an experienced head to come in and steady the ship, get the best out of what we have and first and foremost keep us in the Premier League. If that appointment was short term until the end of the season for example but it got is back on track similar to Craig Brown replacing Jim Gannon, then great, we review the situation next summer, but right now, I maintain that we need experience, not experiments, and that is what appointing Simo Valakari, who has no previous experience of coaching in Scotland, almost certainly no clout within the Scottish game having not been involved in it for fifteen years would almost certainly be right now.

That argument has more holes than swiss cheese. We've been here before erm... Maurice Malpas... cough... No matter the decision taken by the football board, any appointment at our club will be a gamble. This experience head you think we require, who is he? Who is realistically available?

They're not flying to Finland for nothing. Not my personal choice, but, certainly positive amongst the crock o' shit mentioned in various outlets.

I've said it several times, I would take Jimmy Calderwood just now. I know that wouldn't be a popular appointment but he has the experience that I think we badly need right now.

That argument has more holes than swiss cheese. We've been here before erm... Maurice Malpas... cough... No matter the decision taken by the football board, any appointment at our club will be a gamble. This experience head you think we require, who is he? Who is realistically available?

They're not flying to Finland for nothing. Not my personal choice, but, certainly positive amongst the crock o' shit mentioned in various outlets.

Who would be?

Not having the Calderwood chat either MJC!

Not disagreeing that every appointment is a gamble, but this is a huge one (should Valakari indeed be the new man). He has the chance to come with a league winners medal in his back pocket of course, but Mr Baraclough did likewise. Anyone got a clue on the standard of football in Finland? Comparable to Scotland? What about League of Ireland?

This experience head you think we require, who is he? Who is realistically available?

I think that's it, without knowing who else they're interested in speaking to or who is realistically interested it's difficult to make a judgement. I'd prefer an experienced manager as well however if our options along the 'experience' route is Kenny Shiels or Jimmy Calderwood then I'd rather look at alternatives.

Who would be?

Not having the Calderwood chat either MJC!

Not disagreeing that every appointment is a gamble, but this is a huge one (should Valakari indeed be the new man). He has the chance to come with a league winners medal in his back pocket of course, but Mr Baraclough did likewise. Anyone got a clue on the standard of football in Finland? Comparable to Scotland? What about League of Ireland?

Desp, SJK do similar to Motherwell and post up highlights of their games so judge for yourself.

Here's their game from the weekend;

https://youtu.be/arpihLl-U1c

Desp, I honestly don't know - it's got to the stage where I couldn't really care, much the same as results just now & despite the circumstances (we've mutual friends who'll fill you in no doubt), I never thought I'd ever be like that. Feel there is a much bigger picture to where the future lies & many don't quite catch that.

Usual information sources have rightly ran dry given the nature of this appointment. Some of the names banded about by our own is laughable at best. Stoolmen is a ghoulfest - full of absolute throbbers.

Calderwood? Typical of MJC... Is it really experience we need? When was the last time that buffoon experienced Scottish football? The game has evolved since then...

Again, that is not a name that I would be happy with as he has no experience of managing or coaching in the Scottish game and the only reason he's being considered, if the rumours are true, is let's face it because he's a popular ex player. Some of these names being thrown about and talked of as serious contenders right now are really giving me the fear.

Lets be honest you will find something to moan about whoever gets appointed anyway

Jurgen Klopp has been seen getting chased down Airbles Road because he has no experience of Scottish football.

We should be happy anyone has applied for the job considering what a bunch moany faced b*****ds we are.

I honestly don't even care who it is. They'll either be sound and leave after two years, or they'll be shite and punted after six months and we're back here again.

We won't go down because apparently its impossible for us to even get relegated. We were shit for all but 5 games last year and survived. We finished bottom and survived. All our players leave every season and we'll survive.

I still don't understand how we didn't go down, really.

I honestly don't even care who it is. They'll either be sound and leave after two years, or they'll be shite and punted after six months and we're back here again.

We won't go down because apparently its impossible for us to even get relegated. We were shit for all but 5 games last year and survived. We finished bottom and survived. All our players leave every season and we'll survive.

I still don't understand how we didn't go down, really.

Sevco (with Moshni) and McCall in a knockout situation

On the playing side we need a manager to be able to look at our team and see where the holes are, what needs improving and to know the best way to do that.

Knowing the Scottish Game will not really make someone better at that than someone who just two weeks ago found out there was a team in Scotland called Motherwell.

You guys must be devastated after McGhee said today that no-one from Motherwell has been in touch with him regarding the job. He insinuated that he didn't need to apply as everyone at Motherwell knows him and they'd know where to find him.

What a fud.

Archived