Jim baxter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol::lol: Next you'll be saying that Jim Clunie was a ball playing centre half, shull.

Decent defender, so I heard.

Legend of a Saints Manager.

Although unfortunately sacked, after we beat the Green Vermin FC at Parkhead one happy and glorious Saturday.

I don't know how many on here actually saw Jim Baxter play in the early to mid sixties, but he was the greatest player to play in the Scottish League in my lifetime, in my opinion. A truly world class player who wasted his talent and was finished in the game all too soon.

Yet couldn't cut it down South. As for a loss to football, John White's death had more of a sporting impact.

Yet couldn't cut it down South. As for a loss to football, John White's death had more of a sporting impact.

Baxter could have played and been a success anywhere, the only thing that went against Baxter not being a success in England was Baxter himself. His attitude and commitment to training was terrible, the man himself confirmed that. However you don't play in Rest of the World teams if you're an average or mediocre player. Baxter's performances for Scotland while a Sunderland player showed that he was a world class player even though he didn't turn it on for Sunderland.

As for the death of John White having more of a sporting impact, of course it did, he was 27 years old when he got killed, at his peak and his loss to the game, Spurs and Scotland, was massive.

I don't know how many on here actually saw Jim Baxter play in the early to mid sixties, but he was the greatest player to play in the Scottish League in my lifetime, in my opinion. A truly world class player who wasted his talent and was finished in the game all too soon.

How're you doing Youngsy? Haven't seen you for a while.

I only saw The Slim Yin when we came to Ibrox for the 2nd time and he was a busted flush. I was excited to see him after the build up he was given by my father, uncle et al but he clearly wasn't the same player who had roasted England even 2 years earlier.

I think, though, that there's enough evidence to say you're right when you say he was, "A truly world class player who wasted his talent and was finished in the game all too soon."

How're you doing Youngsy? Haven't seen you for a while.

I only saw The Slim Yin when we came to Ibrox for the 2nd time and he was a busted flush. I was excited to see him after the build up he was given by my father, uncle et al but he clearly wasn't the same player who had roasted England even 2 years earlier.

I think, though, that there's enough evidence to say you're right when you say he was, "A truly world class player who wasted his talent and was finished in the game all too soon."

Aye, i'm fine, T_K. The 1967 game v England is regarded by many as Baxter's finest game but he was tremendous in 1963 v England at Wembley when he scored both our goals in a 2-1 win, the game in which Bobby Smith broke Eric Caldow's leg. He also dominated the game v Brazil in 1966, a 1-1 draw.

Aye, i'm fine, T_K. The 1967 game v England is regarded by many as Baxter's finest game but he was tremendous in 1963 v England at Wembley when he scored both our goals in a 2-1 win, the game in which Bobby Smith broke Eric Caldow's leg. He also dominated the game v Brazil in 1966, a 1-1 draw.

Youngsy, I mentioned the 67 game simply because, only 2 years later, Baxter had become a shadow of what he was.

I'd have loved to see the '63 game. Our team sheet had so many top players:

Bill Brown

Alex Hamilton
Dave Mackay
Ian Ure
Willie Henderson
Jim Baxter
Denis Law
Ian St John*
John White
Eric Caldow (captain)
Davie Wilson

The vids I can find online are these. Not much but enjoyable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNuNvJn8uw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4knK0fu0k

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/england-v-scotland-2

*Ian St J was from Motherwell same as me. If his niece is reading the thread I hope her memory of being lumbered by me is as fond as mine ;)

Was a good documentary. Think Jim left rangers for an extra 10 quid a week at sunderland

Baxter wanted £75 a week from Rangers, the BoD wouldn't pay it, at the time he and the rest of the squad were on £30 a week plus bonuses, not sure what Sunderland paid him. The year before his leg break Tottenham, who were the best in Britain at that time, were looking at Baxter to replace Danny Blanchflower who was getting on a bit, he would have been a great player for Spurs in a midfield consisting of White, Mackay and Baxter. One of the best footballers Scotland has ever produced.

You just made that up.

What part did i make up? Do a bit of reading about Tottenham Hotspur in the early 60s, without a doubt the best in Britain and Bill Nicholson was being encouraged by many at Spurs to maybe sign Baxter to replace Blanchflower.

• 3 weeks later...

God, there's some vile wee cretins on here.

If you get off on trying to sully the reputation of a dead man you really need to have a look at yourself.

Why even bother coming into this thread just to say someone, who is regarded very highly by most others, is shite?

You guys need to get a grip, or get laid.

Archived