Ayr United, next on the Roker Rovers hitlist

Looking to do the home game v Airdrieonians next month as Sunderland play away at Palace on the Monday night (and we hate going to Palace, cos it's a horrible place with horrible fans).

So I might be dragging some of the other Roker Rovers to this one. This would be Scottish ground number 34 in my quest to visit all 41. I have been to Ayr before but it was to the Butlins when my kids were very young and I don't even recall venturing into town at all. Where are the decent pubs? (we like real ale if it's on offer, but will slumb it with Tennants if needs be), anywhere with live music on a Saturday night as we will be staying over, and where do the intelligent good looking people hang out pre match?

Any info gratefully received and if it's crap we will go in the away end ;)

What's your favourite ground you've visited so far and why?

It's a tough question that mate.

Understandably, the trips I have enjoyed the most are the ones when a few of my mates tagged along. It's always more fun with some company and I have done 20 plus on my own.

Partick Thistle and Queen of the South were both great days out, as was Stranraer pre season this year and me and a mate also had a cracking day out watching Annan v Stirling Albion (which sort of started all this off). Arbroath was also very good. Of the ones I have done on my own I would have to say Forfar and Elgin have been my favourites. I like older grounds with a bit of character, which is why I am looking forward to Ayr.

Aberdeen and Rangers were bigger clubs that I did not think I would enjoy, but there was a buzz around Pittodrie when I went and it's the biggest crowd I have been part of in Scotland. It was a great day out. Ibrox had to be done. I am the son of an Irish catholic, so you can guess it was not a place I was looking forward to visiting, but I am also related through marriage to Bobby Russell and I have to say I really enjoyed my trip to Ibrox. It was a cup tie v Killie and everybody was friendly. Its also a cracking stadium. I would happily go back to be fair.

Not been to a Celtic match since the early 90's, when I stood on the Jungle for a midweek match v Motherwell which they won 4-1 and the aforementioned Bobby Russell who is married to my cousin, played for Motherwell. I probably should go back and see the new developed stadium, but that's not how ground hopping works. I have been so its ticked off ;). They played Sunderland pre season a few years back but I was in Turkey with the family on holiday. If they arrange another pre season match v my beloved Black Cats, I will be there, but I don't see any other reason to go back.

Every ground has its positives though and I have met some great people along the way. You have a good league with some canny folk and I am looking forward to visiting the remaining 8 grounds and meeting some more.

Is this the yer da types that turn up at a Scottish game wearing Sunderland gear :lol:

Ma Da died about 10 years ago mate and never wore a Sunderland shirt in his life, so I suppose it depends how old you are?

We are middle aged.

I am grey haired and proud, you have a problem with that?

I did consider that we might have an anti English thing going on, although have never actually experienced this in person and everyone has been superb, so I quickly realised that I was worrying needlessly and that Scottish football fans had far more sense than that. I never thought our age would be a problem, but you live and learn.

If you consider us to be 'yer da' types, then pipe down and show some respect son, we have forgotten more than you know. ;)

Geordies Byre for real ale, it will be in the camra book I would imagine. It's only ten minutes walk to Somerset Park too. Obriens has live music every Saturday night, as does The Twa Dugs(I think). Off the top of my head other places for ale are The Glenpark Hotel(home of The Ayr Brewing Company), The West Kirk(wotherspoons), the aforementioned Twa Dugs and The Tam o Shanter. All are in the town centre so not too much walking. I'm sure others will be able to name pubs with ale too.

All of the above.

Ayr and Sunderland have mutual history. One of Ayr's best ever full backs, Dick Malone joined Sunderland from us and went to feature in the 1973 cup winning side.

I know you will be very welcome in the town, at the club and in the Somerset Road End. Let them know when you are coming. A drink in the hospitality suite before the game is great and their food first class if you want some lunch..

Enjoy it!

Supported Sunderland since I can remember, I'd guess there's quite a few within our support due to Dick Malone, I'm even shit at gloryhunting.

I'm sure you'll be made more than welcome at our Stadium of Delight, we can all sing Daydream Believer together as both have used that ditty in a previous era.

Ma Da died about 10 years ago mate and never wore a Sunderland shirt in his life, so I suppose it depends how old you are?

We are middle aged.

I did consider that we might have an anti English thing going on, although have never actually experienced this in person and everyone has been superb, so I quickly realised that I was worrying needlessly and that Scottish football fans had far more sense than that. I never thought our age would be a problem, but you live and learn.

If you consider us to be 'yer da' types, then pipe down and show some respect son, we have forgotten more than you know. ;)

That will be yes then. X

We are middle aged.

Get him telt pal. Best of luck on your travels, sir.

Top of the town you have your O'Briens, Twa Dugs, Rabbies, all decent for a pint. If you fancy some scran and like foreign beer/lager, jump into the meridian, quite decent, if not a bit pricier. In the actual town Tam 'O Shanter is the only pub, but very decent. Down the bottom you're entering old mans pub territory (cheap). The Harvest, Campbeltown etc and the only real Ayr pub which is the River Cottage. Not sure if the sports bar area which is upstairs in it (few dart boards, pool table, few teles and a juke box) will be open, would presume it will be.

Near the ground you have the bowling club which is cheap, Hospitality, Horse Shoe (bit run down) and up at Tams Brig near Newton on Ayr train station you have the Wallace which is about the size of a small kitchen (not joking here).

If you're staying in Ayr, head into Prestwick at night, The Golf, Scruffy Duffys, Pioneer, The Eagle are all very decent and it's 5 minutes in a taxi.

So I might be dragging some of the other Roker Rovers to this one. This would be Scottish ground number 34 in my quest to visit all 41.

There's actually 42 clubs/grounds in Scotland

Wrong. 42 clubs yes, but only 41 grounds. I will leave you to work out why that is

Thanks for the replies re pubs etc. Sounds like we will have plenty of choice and might have a choice of a few real ale bars which is a bit of a luxury in Scotland in our experience.

Re the Dick Malone reference, he lives not far from where I work and I have regularly seen him in the local Morrisons at lunch times. Doubt he ever has to buy a beer in Sunderland.

We have a wee Bobby Russell connection too. He played for us very briefly.

If it's real ale you are after then the Glen Park is the place. Ayr Brewing co do some pretty damn good beers. About 20/25 mins walk from the ground. They do food as well so you would be able to get something there, and as they brew on site it is pretty damned cheap.

http://glenparkhotel.co.uk/

But most of the pubs around the town are OK, but I wouldn't recommend any of the ones down around the New Bridge eg the Harvest, unless you want a 'cultural' experience.

Try The Smoking Goat lads, right in the middle of town literally yards off the Sandgate. There can't be many boozers in Ayr who include tasting notes on their ales, ciders & lagers on their website. Ideal pre & post match, about a twenty minute walk to the ground but gets a bit livelier on Sat evenings with a resident DJ. Mind the steps!

Archived