University of Stirling 0-2 Queen's Park

ConnorLamb

Guest The Phoenix

http://wp.me/p4i04N-1e0

Here's my report from Saturday's Scottish Cup Second Round clash between the University of Stirling and Queen's Park where a Paul Wood brace booked Queen's Park a spot in the third round with a 0-2 win.

I suspect many students have written shorter and less informative final dissertations for their degrees.

Fair play to you Connor. :):thumsup2

My understanding is that all 3 clubs allow any matriculated students... whether studying football or otherwise... and staff to play, plus a capped number of alumni. Beyond that I am not entirely sure; but Heriot-Watt tweeted during the summer that they now allow Currie Star players to feature (following a local youth link-up in the Riccarton and Balerno area), and I'd heard that Stirling may even allow an outsider or two.

It's different in the BUCS competitions on Wednesdays. That's open to students only, AFAIA, including those otherwise involved with other clubs.

My understanding is that all 3 clubs allow any matriculated students... whether studying football or otherwise... and staff to play, plus a capped number of alumni. Beyond that I am not entirely sure; but Heriot-Watt tweeted during the summer that they now allow Currie Star players to feature (following a local youth link-up in the Riccarton and Balerno area), and I'd heard that Stirling may even allow an outsider or two.

It's different in the BUCS competitions on Wednesdays. That's open to students only, AFAIA, including those otherwise involved with other clubs.

Cheers HJ

By my reckoning seven of Stirling university starting eleven are Scottish, think only two are non students though one is staff the other ex student. Why does this question keep coming up,never see Edinburgh university selection questioned because they are not a threat to teams at the top of the league maybe?

Stirling often form the backbone of the Scottish Unis national team too. Indeed it has been common for almost every player to hail from the 3 LL/EOSL clubs, although in recent years the odd player from Glasgow and Dundee institutions have got into the picture, possibly also Aberdeen.

Conorlamb, a long report but a very fair one, recorded all the main chances, the university team played well but overall Queens Park deserving their victory. I was a volunteer but not a student but your right most were. Very glad you enjoyed your visit, have to do this, in your report first half 'stirlings Sean burns' apart from that great report.

Why does this question keep coming up,never see Edinburgh university selection questioned because they are not a threat to teams at the top of the league maybe?

Yer right it has popped up now and again.

I could be wrong but a few seasons ago you had a full time set up at Gannochy wi full time coaches and players on full time football scholarships or something like that.

So if that's still the case then technically you should be a threat every season ?

By my reckoning seven of Stirling university starting eleven are Scottish, think only two are non students though one is staff the other ex student. Why does this question keep coming up,never see Edinburgh university selection questioned because they are not a threat to teams at the top of the league maybe?

Hoppy Why is it then there at least 3 lads 2 from the west and 1 from the LL league at Stirling that don't get picked for either Stirlings LL team or worse any of their Uni teams them ? sounds like a closed shop to me

Hoppy Why is it then there at least 3 lads 2 from the west and 1 from the LL league at Stirling that don't get picked for either Stirlings LL team or worse any of their Uni teams them ? sounds like a closed shop to me

Could be they are not good enough ? or don't want selected ?

Is the question why there might be people studying as students at Bridge of Allan... but playing for other clubs in the Lowland League or Juniors on the weekends, and not featuring for Stirling Uni in BUCS competition during the week?

I imagine there could be all kinds of reason for that, not just that Stirling don't want them. Possibly the lads had been with those clubs before they went off to university and have simply continued the arrangement. Perhaps they want to make some money from their football - most LL and top Juniors will pay wages, but not the university teams.

In terms of the BUCS games on Wednesdays there will be some clubs who say they do not want their players fulfilling additional commitments in case of injury or fatigue... especially if they're paying them a wage (or regularly train on or have Wednesday games themselves). Or maybe the player can't spare the time. Stirling play approaching 20 BUCS/SSS games a season, many of them away ties in England.

Archived