Cowdenbeath v Arbroath

onecowden

Put it this way, if he was any further off he would've been behind the byline. I think he was hoping to get the ball straight from the goal kick, which afaik wouldn't be offside. But a Cowden player touched it meaning he was genuinely about 25 yards off.

That boy was a bit of a fud, was it Spence? Bizarre behaviour when he just started kicking Fleming way after Fleming had the ball safely in his hands.

It was Spence. Stupid booking to pick up. Could understand it if he'd got a decent boot into Fleming and drawn some blood but that was a pathetic effort.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also even though the conditions made the game a bit of a farce once they started and played 20 mins the weather didn't get any worse so why not just play on. Everyone was there and the Arbroath should have taken the lead against the wind so was playable. Have seen worse weather in games played till the end in the past.

I reckon they must practice that the number of times its happened in a game and a bit.

When our goal was chalked off yesterday was he offside? No idea from the pleasureland end.

only by about a mile, but his booking was legendary, to kick the keeper was bad enough but to have another go was stupid

Only one i can think of would be the 3-2 loss at home to Ayr in the 13/14 season. That game was so farcical Lari Yao almost scored.

I'm sure that was the game where the wave came over the wall and soaked Bobby while he took a corner

Couple stick out for me, the Montrose game in the cup where we got beat 3-2 in ET Boyle scoring the winner, another Montrose game where Winter scored a screamer and a Dumbarton game in the play offs.

Yesterday was equivalent to the East Stirling game a few years back, I remember the keeper taking a goal kick and it going out for a corner, wasn't too far off that yesterday. Worst I can remember for a long time.

I can remember a few 'bad' ones from previous Cowden visits the worse being in January 1995 which I mentioned earlier in the thread, it was pissing heavy rain and the wind was worse than yesterday as the flag pole next to the stand snapped!

Also remember a game back in 1985 in the September I think, early season anyway when it was blowing a gale. Raymie Allan in the Cowden goal was taking goal kicks and the ball was just coming back to him, won 5-0 that day as well!!

I can remember a few 'bad' ones from previous Cowden visits the worse being in January 1995 which I mentioned earlier in the thread, it was pissing heavy rain and the wind was worse than yesterday as the flag pole next to the stand snapped!

Also remember a game back in 1985 in the September I think, early season anyway when it was blowing a gale. Raymie Allan in the Cowden goal was taking goal kicks and the ball was just coming back to him, won 5-0 that day as well!!

Both those games were in worse conditions than yesterday. The 1995 game saw the flagpole fly away and Arbroath never got into Cowden's half in the second half. Barry McMahon spent the second half sheltering at half way behind Martin Humphries and had hypothermia after the game.

The 5-0 game - Colin McGlashan scored a hat trick. Our fifth goal came when the Arbroath goalie palmed down a high ball flying over his head on the penalty spot. Davie Young of Arbroath then booted it clear but in mid air from about 35 yards out the ball reversed direction and flew over everyone in the box into the Arbroath net.

Re the pricing - it was the normal arrangements surely whereby the home club lowers its normal price for a tie v a club from a lower league, keeps it the same for a match v a club in same league, and increases it for a club from a higher one. Reflects the pricing differentials between different tier clubs. The segregation also usefully confirms just what is considered the away end and the home end at Gayfield.

When?

Seen loads of games worse than yesterday,they didn't used to stop games because of high winds,the two Cowden games as mentioned above were worse than yesterday,haven't seen a goalie scoring an og from a goal kick but seen a few flying over his bar,gonna be pretty breezy tomorrow as well but no as bad as Saturday

I don't remember the game v Ayr being affected by the wind too much apart from maybe helping us to score from corners 2nd half. We were just shit 1st half in which you could almost guarantee Moffat would score.

Ayr game wasn't that bad,it was a swirling wind rather than a wind blowing down the length of the pitch which is what it usually does,doubt if Bobby Linn agrees though after his sea soaking

The wind was forecast to pick up at around 12pm - it was still quite calm at 1pm when I went to the ground but then by about half past it had picked up significantly.

I think at this point, most people travelling will already have set off, if not already arrived in Arbroath so it was worth giving the game a chance.

Also, Spence was only about 20 yards offside when he scored. I was absolutely pissing myself because he actually started celebrating.

The wind was forecast to pick up at around 12pm - it was still quite calm at 1pm when I went to the ground but then by about half past it had picked up significantly.

I think at this point, most people travelling will already have set off, if not already arrived in Arbroath so it was worth giving the game a chance.

Also, Spence was only about 20 yards offside when he scored. I was absolutely pissing myself because he actually started celebrating.

Fair point. Personally i think there should be a cut-off time in situations like this. Say 12pm or so. call it off then before people have travelled or at least try and play and see what happens.

Archived