The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Anyone who wears a poppy - or a wristband, ribbon or other "badge of honour" - leaves themselves open to accusations of insincerity or self-aggrandisement.

You want to give to charity? That's what direct debits are for. Those charities I donate to can spend the money where it should be spent - not on wee badges to massage my ego.

I don't need to know what cause you favour - if I get to know you, I'll get a fair idea of which, if indeed any, causes are dear to your heart.

Anyone who wears a poppy - or a wristband, ribbon or other "badge of honour" - leaves themselves open to accusations of insincerity or self-aggrandisement.

You want to give to charity? That's what direct debits are for. Those charities I donate to can spend the money where it should be spent - not on wee badges to massage my ego.

I don't need to know what cause you favour - if I get to know you, I'll get a fair idea of which, if indeed any, causes are dear to your heart.

Self-serving, self-aggrandising bollocks from a small-minded person.

Folk can wear or not wear a poppy without being judged. I abhor the poppy bigots of either persuasion.

21 As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

Next you will be calling for movember moustache growers and London Marathon Runners to be cast out of the temple for their insincere charity collecting.

Next you will be calling for movember moustache growers and London Marathon Runners to be cast out of the temple for their insincere charity collecting.

Sevco fans wearing a poppy is like a cancer charity collector rattling his tin in the street while chain smoking capstan full strength

How about this year Sevco stop prostituting Remembrance Sunday for their own cheap and tawdry marketing purposes and just put some pound coins in the tin. £147 million of them.

Sevco fans wearing a poppy is like a cancer charity collector rattling his tin in the street while chain smoking capstan full strength

How about this year Sevco stop prostituting Remembrance Sunday for their own cheap and tawdry marketing purposes and just put some pound coins in the tin. £147 million of them.

Brilliant analogy, not!

I doubt Rangers make any money from Remembrance Sunday, so they are hardly prostituting themselves.

I find that all too many charity "givers" prostitute themselves for attention, especially a few in work I can think of. In my opinion charity actions/donations should be done because someone actually wants to, not to gain attention or publicity, but hey-ho.

Apologies if already posted.....

http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/rickmansworth/poppy-appeal/giant-poppy-costume-for-hirefor-sale

Giant Poppy Costume For Hire/For Sale

If you would like to hire our giant poppy costume, or buy one, please call 07877 805111 - hire would be £20 per day (standard conditions apply); to buy a new one would be £150; both prices are plus p&p. For instructions, which will be £5, email paul-harding@hotmail.co.uk. All profits will go to our Branch poppy appeal.

The design allows any adult, between 5ft and 6ft 6in tall and waist size up to 40 inches to wear the poppy costume. The rear view is plain red material.

2014-05-10-131406_452x751.jpg