Land of the Free?

Granny Danger

Hasn't it been proven that torture doesn't reallu work for gathering intelligence ? Someone who is being repeatedly drowned for days will tell you any old shite to make it stop.

The British Army has always claimed that, though it subsequently turns out they've used torture in just about every conflict they've been involved in. The softly softly patient approach of interrogation probably yields more useful intelligence but you need a lot of highly intelligent and patient multilingual interrogators for that, it's more practical just to torture them.

The British Army has always claimed that, though it subsequently turns out they've used torture in just about every conflict they've been involved in. The softly softly patient approach of interrogation probably yields more useful intelligence but you need a lot of highly intelligent and patient multilingual interrogators for that, it's more practical just to torture them.

^^^^Former-Army-torturer, imho.

If I thought it would work, I'd have no problem with torture. The thing being, what use is torturing someone who is innocent and knows f**k all? They might give you as many names as you want but they will be more folk who know nothing.

More for you to torture to give you more names of more people who know Nothing.

You've also got the problem in this case that you're paying some dodgy and untrustworthy folk to deliver you suspects. Unless you have any other evidence against them, how can you know they're not just picking up some random?

If you have 13 years to build case and can't find anytjng, it looks lie you might have been torturing an innocent guy. (of course he might not be innocent - I have no way of knowin)

If I thought it would work, I'd have no problem with torture. The thing being, what use is torturing someone who is innocent and knows f**k all? They might give you as many names as you want but they will be more folk who know nothing.

More for you to torture to give you more names of more people who know Nothing.

You've also got the problem in this case that you're paying some dodgy and untrustworthy folk to deliver you suspects. Unless you have any other evidence against them, how can you know they're not just picking up some random?

If you have 13 years to build case and can't find anytjng, it looks lie you might have been torturing an innocent guy. (of course he might not be innocent - I have no way of knowin)

Disturbing to think you could be describing the Witchfinder General

Sad but not surprising to see the usual suspects completely missing the point.

1. If you suspect someone of committing an offence you try that person and only incarcerate him/her if found guilty. Holding someone prisoner without a trial is the antithesis of justice; accepting it for any alleged 'offenders' flies in the face of a fair and just legal system and brings into question the democratic foundation of the country carry out the act.

2. The issue of the 'legitimacy' of torture is an interesting one. I'm sure an apparently convincing case could be made if there was strong evidence to suggest it worked; as others have said all the available evidence suggests it doesn't work. However the legitimacy and the legality of torture are not the same thing. The U.S. and the U.K. are signatories to international agreements that prohibit the use of torture or aid and abet torture. Politicians who have approved these practices should be held accountable for their actions.

Because they would be known, and known to be in possession of information. Real life is not like the bill where 5 minutes of questioning sees the bad guy break down and tell all.

this guy had 13 years of torture and not one iota of evidence that he was a terrorist or knew about terrorist activities was ever obtained. But at least some sadists got their rocks off so that's ok

Archived