Queens v Dumbarton

Well I will start by saying great 3 points wins breed confidence so that will help.

The performance wasn't great and Dumbarton probably deserved a point was really impressed with some of their play first half but you have to put the ball in the net and they didn't. Dumbarton no 24 Brophy was a player a was impressed with he was involved in nearly every move put some great balls into the box and looks a player.

Robbie Thomson deserved the mom for the 2 early saves alone either of those go in its a different game and one looked a top drawer save as well we were quite Poor first half never really created a great deal apart from 2 lyle headers that were straight at the keeper. 2nd half we were a bit better created a few chances heffernan took his goal well great ball in as well then millar hit the woodwork am surprised the goals are still standing then the norm with queens hanging on at the end the team certainly benefits from not haveing Harris or Conroy in it imo

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highlights

Good highlights. What game was Aitken watching though? "their keeper had 4 or 5 outstanding saves", "the game of his life", "we bossed the game".

I actually thought the highlights made it look a relatively comfortable victory. The two saves at the start apart, Thomson didnt really have much to do other than some routine saves, even Gibsons shot at the end was straight at him. Better finishing could have earned Dumbarton a point but both sides created chances

Our keeper did well as I said yesterday. I think that Atken overstates it a bit in his interview though.

Dumbarton probably deserved something from the game, but it was nowhere near the one sided dominant display he's suggesting.

His references to Palmerston being a difficult place to go, our good home record and big crowds, were a bit odd too.

The people finding Palmerston difficult to go to this season, have generally been Queens fans.

There isnt any evidence of this. The players and manager have been consistent in expressing their disappointment in how we've defended leads. Fowler says exactly that in his latest interview on the OS

I think this is a good point. Without pace up front the game becomes much more compressed. We do have a player who can do what McShane did - Millar. Hes just not doing it often enough for me

The evidence is before your very eyes. What Fowler says and what he does are two entirely different things. I think his approach might be different if there was no such thing as the play offs. We'd have a good cushion against relegation and he could let the players attack more. However, because he has the target of finishing 4th and the squad he has assembled isn't good enough, he is petrified of dropping points to teams around and below us. I think he is obsessed with his target, maybe because he'll get some sort of bonus for reaching it, so everything is geared to that. If it was just a case of avoiding relegation with this squad, there would be far less pressure. As it is, he wants to shitfest his way to 4th because that is all this squad is capable of. Indeed finishing 4th would probably be over achieving.

There's a difference between defending a lead and setting up negatively from the start.

We're certainly guilty of the former but not the latter.

Macpherson's side rarely took the lead to try and hold onto it so I don't really think the comparison is fair.

We set up negatively from the start against Falkirk, Hibs and Rangers. The latter two are perhaps understandable. I'm not saying he is exactly the same as Gus. He is the same against the better teams in the division. And he becomes the same if we are ahead against the others. I very much doubt if we will attack much in any second half where we have a lead at the break. More likely to start taking the ball to the corner flag in the 50th minute.

The defending for the goal may well be our worst yet this season. Switching off at the back is costing us massively.

I thought we controlled the first half pretty comfortably to be honest, and rarely (if ever) looked in danger. Second half Queens shaded it, began to create a few more chances but didn't draw a save of much note from Brown (seen as he was never getting near the shot that just about sent the crossbar into the clock :lol:)

That was a great chance Garry had towards the end. Hit it low and hard towards either corner and you've got yourself a very decent chance of equalising. Launching it out of the park straight down the centre was the worst thing he could've possibly done in that situation.

The speed at which Thomson pounced on the ball after his Rob Green moment was different class as were his two saves early on. I remember hoping we'd sign him when he left Rochdale two seasons back...and come to think of it when he was still at Celtic. Quality 'keeper who's only going to get better in the next few years.

One day we'll beat you rogues again ;)

:( Who am I kidding

That was a great chance Garry had towards the end. Hit it low and hard towards either corner and you've got yourself a very decent chance of equalising. Launching it out of the park straight down the centre was the worst thing he could've possibly done in that situation.

:( Who am I kidding

hmm. shouldnt he play in waters?

As ridiculous as it sounds, imagine if we'd won? What would the Queen's fans be like then with the review of their team's performance?!They fair know how to moan and groan, no matter what the result.

I was delighted with the result but it wasn't exactly pleasing on the eye. For whatever the reason we looked pretty nervy in the first half and didn't have much of a clue in the last third. Mainly because we were too pedestrian, allowing Dumbarton to close us down without too much trouble.

The second half was an improvement but nothing to write home about.

That said, Raith look like they are doing their customary good start, fade away by January routine, so once we start playing we might at least grab a play-off spot.

The evidence is before your very eyes. What Fowler says and what he does are two entirely different things. I think his approach might be different if there was no such thing as the play offs. We'd have a good cushion against relegation and he could let the players attack more. However, because he has the target of finishing 4th and the squad he has assembled isn't good enough, he is petrified of dropping points to teams around and below us. I think he is obsessed with his target, maybe because he'll get some sort of bonus for reaching it, so everything is geared to that. If it was just a case of avoiding relegation with this squad, there would be far less pressure. As it is, he wants to shitfest his way to 4th because that is all this squad is capable of. Indeed finishing 4th would probably be over achieving.

I think you should stick to the stats

Guest TOPFITTER

No one is saying any of that

You are entitled to you're opinion as am I, I may contest an opinion or totally disagree but never am straight off dismissive.

I thought we played well despite the result. Routledge and Lindsay worked well together in the middle of the park.

Lindsay put in some shift trying to get up to support Brophy, Scott Brown closed down the usually dangerous Russell.

We created more chances than usual with Brophy outstanding. However he needs another striker alongside him.

I would like to see McCallum get a couple of games as Ross was disappointing. Good to see Cawley back but I wish he had been given longer than

just ten minutes.

Surely all the fans want the club to finish in the top 4 again and make the play offs not just James Fowler!

Thomson was excellent with a few great saves. Dowie is missed and hopefully back soon but kidd and Higgins were no too bad but I was very impressed with Marshall probably the high point of our defence.

Midfield mmmm where to start erm I think Hutton has a future with the club he seems quite slow but I thought there was a calmness to his second half. Millar not sure seemed ok can't really mind but my attention was drawn to oliver I thought he was our best attacking option on Saturday and think he should stay on the right but maybe cut in too the middle wee bit more. Russel meh he did ok for me seemed solid enough without really threatening. Lyle as ever was our better attacking option despite heff s goal. Would young aiden smith not be better option with lyle and maybe bring heff on to see out games.

I do have to apologise I was one who got frustrated a few times with back passes to keeper when I felt other forward passes were available. I felt that the second half football was played on the floor and this brought more confidence which is why I was frustrated (not booing)

Great to get three points and nice reward for the travelling involved and my faith in being involved in the promotion playoffs rather than relegation playoffs

Or square it for the team-mate bursting into the box who would have been in a far better position. 2 weeks in a row he's had wasted a good chance by going for glory rather than playing in someone else.

Mind you, if you watch the chances again, particularly first half, when we shoot from the edge of the box, if you look around rather than at the shooter, we quite often have better options which are ignored. Because the man on the ball is in a dangerous position, he sucks in defenders, which is leaving team-mates in great positions for wee, slipped passes which would lead to one-on-ones in the box. But we're forcing the shot every time.

Maybe Stevie and Faz need to work on the principle of "if you have a better placed team-mate, play them in rather than going for glory yourself".

Archived