Pro Youth

rtg1971

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the actual standard of player thats coming through that is being discussed. You mention players and saying its a success. Do you think the SFA is investing the £10s of millions over the 20 year period to not qualify for competitions. Its all about winning. Look at the players in the senior game. Celtic have a vast percentage of foreigners, they have first pick of the best players. Dundee United have just signed a Japanese goalkeeper. When was the last time other than Celtic has there been a reasonable run in Europe. Sorry thats how you measure success, success in Europe and World stage, not winning it but just getting to a reasonable stage. Not he came through the youth team and got into the first team. That doesnt change whether you have pro youth or boys club. When was the last time there was a bidding war over a Scottish player. When was the last time a Scottish player did anything in Europe. Last Scottish player in a team in the top half of the English Premiership. Senior Clubs are looking to develop players to sell them on, as was the case of Dundee United. If you are saying the status quo is working, I would argue that. Neil Lennon also stated that he didnt think it was working, when he was at Celtic.

I've read a lot of the above comments and tend to disagree! Pro youth is well run there are players in most Scottish senior clubs who have progressed through the pro youth set up(fact) there are also a lot of players currently playing junior who have came through the set up but have for one reason or another not made it at a pro club. I spent 4 years in the youth academy at Cowdenbeath and 3 years in at Ayr before moving into juniors. The coaches I have met and worked with in pro youth are very rarely paid( other than expenses). In my case it was horses for courses I had a romantic notion I could take on a junior role and play the way the pro youth teams set themselves up unfortunately not the case!! Back to pro youth though it's producing loads of talent look at most of the hearts team? They have come through their set up! Look at Dundee Utd;Aberdeeen; Hibs; Motherwell; Hamilton list is endless guys? Let's look at the players who have made it? Forrest bros( James @ Celtic ; Alan @ Ayr UTD) Kieran tierney Andy Halliday; Scott Brown for gods sake all came through pro youth set ups. I don't think it's perfect and I don't think it ever will be but it is working. Remember youth coaches or development coaches are only there to get the players to reach their potential if that is senior level or junior level or even amateur level then so be it. I say calm down and make improvements rather than scrap it?

I think the juniors is still a possible pathway although a lot harder

An example is Partick Thistle's Kris Doolan who started at Kello Rovers and then Auchinleck Talbot and eventually making it to Partick Thistle.

Junior players now are more likely to be picked up by the likes of Stirling Albion, Queen's Park etc rather than bigger clubs such as Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and of course stand very little chance of an Old firm move unlike years and years ago where players would play junior and the likes of Rangers and Celtic would pick up players from these ranks.

I think it'd be good seeing it like that again as football now is all about money but I guess that's just the modern day professional game for you, which is why I became interested in following junior football

reading in to gordon strachans comments about a kid travelling 4 hours to a game and get 10 touches of a ball instead of simply battering a ball of his garage wall makes me think he is proposing the scrapping of the best v best ideaology - maybe this is the end of pro youth, which for me i will be glad of.

Woman in my work has a son who plays for Motherwell pro youth. They are playing Aberdeen at the weekend. The family have booked a hotel rather than travel up and down in one day. The game is in doubt but the decisions won't be made until just before kick off.

He's about 12.

Woman in my work has a son who plays for Motherwell pro youth. They are playing Aberdeen at the weekend. The family have booked a hotel rather than travel up and down in one day. The game is in doubt but the decisions won't be made until just before kick off.

He's about 12.

That's sad it really is .

I've also seen it when Beith sign a guy who's ex Kilmarnock/ St mirren / ayr United etc pro youth for years.

You get excited thinking he must have genuine ability to have played at that level but he shows no ability whatsoever , it can be as simple as that when he was between 9 and 15 years of age that he was far bigger than the rest of the lads and that he bullied his way through it or just had more power in his legs to blast high shots past a midget in nets.

Fast forward to when he's between 17 and 21 years of age then the rest of the more talented lads have fully grown up and gained bulk and he can no longer bully his way through it and is released into the juniors.

reading in to gordon strachans comments about a kid travelling 4 hours to a game and get 10 touches of a ball instead of simply battering a ball of his garage wall makes me think he is proposing the scrapping of the best v best ideaology - maybe this is the end of pro youth, which for me i will be glad of.

Problem is rtg the general public have no tolerance for kids playing in the street any more and the first sign of it they call the police. I remember fondly playing in front of my house with pals and pissing off all the neighbours as the ball went in gardens, hit windows and knocked over garden ornaments but no one ever called the police..... Changed days unfortunately.

Archived