Kieran Tierney

itsjustben

Ahh I see, apologies.

Tierney does indeed look very promising but I'm just wishing he had a right foot instead of a left one.

We've been banging on about there being no decent RBs coming through, so, given that we use Whittaker on the left when he's primarily a RB, and have inverted Phil Bardsley too, there is always scope for utilising 1 of Tierney and Robertson at RB to allow us to play both if required. Not ideal, but if those two are significantly better than the natural right-backs then it might be for the best.

That said, I totally agree that it's far too early to go OTT about Tierney (even though the above is probably OTT).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's fair. Dixon was grossly overhyped, and is now looking dreadful for Dundee United. Lee Wallace's hype started at Hearts. Full backs may be overhyped, but no more or less so because they play for the Old Firm.

Lee Wallace probably could have had a decent career if hadn't chosen to pish about in the lower leagues for four years.

Exciting young full-backs are ten a penny at every level at football. More than any other position it's the one where players get hyped up quickly before being found out, basically because if you're quick and strong in the tackle it's easy to look good for a while in that position. I think Andy Robertson will be a decent player, but I said at the time he burst onto the scene that he was very one dimensional and 'basic' as a full back, it was only a matter of time before his 'sprint forward 30 yards and a whip a ball into the box' game was found out and stopped by other teams and he'd need to add more to his game, which hopefully he's doing.

I've never even seen Tierney play so not commenting on him, he may turn out to be great, but he'd need to prove it over a few years before I'd be convinced.

Young fullbacks always get away with a lack of end product as everyone says 'the final ball will come, give them time'

Unfortunately for Scotland, the final ball never comes and we are just left with players who were never that good. Hutton, Whittaker etc. Hopefully not Robertson

Never quite lived up to 'the white cafu' though did he?

Not sure anyone thought he would, clearly tongue in cheek. Great player, probably produced one of the most memorable individual performances I've seen from a Scotland player in that match against Italy.

We'll miss him when he goes, I can see him being our right back for another 2/3 years.

Eta: great player as in great player for Scotland.

Archived