mexico qualify for '17 confederations cup

highlandcowden

i'm normally pretty up with the world game but im confused--just read in world soccer that mexico have qualified for the '17 confederationjs cup by beating the USA in a playoff.my confusion is this;why,as the most recent regional champions of concacef,did mexico even need to play off against the yanks who didn't even,iirc,reach the semis?

i'm normally pretty up with the world game but im confused--just read in world soccer that mexico have qualified for the '17 confederationjs cup by beating the USA in a playoff.my confusion is this;why,as the most recent regional champions of concacef,did mexico even need to play off against the yanks who didn't even,iirc,reach the semis?

Because the Gold Cup plays every two years I think, so between each Confederations Cup there's two champions. So they have a playoff to see which one of those will represent the continent.

On the other hand they haven't bothered with such a play-off before, plus they don't bother with one in Africa. Also it wasn't even over 2 legs, just 1 in USA? Seems like a money-raising exercise.

I think you can question whether confederations should be having continental tournaments every 2yrs anyway.

What's the latest situation with the "Copa Centenario" 2016, btw?

I see they've had to schedule the qualifying playoffs over 1 leg in Panama City (presumably as a double-header at one stadium) on Friday 8th January - as the gargantuan WC2018 qualifying format in CONCACAF leaves no international dates free.

Presumably a number of clubs in Europe won't release their players, which is a bit unfortunate for the 4 teams involved.

Are clubs obliged to release their players for the Centenario itself, given it isn't a WC/Confederations Cup/Olympics/continental championship?

since im here,how comw river plate are competing in the copa sudamericana shortly after winning the libertadores-is that not like competing in the Europa league after winning the champions league?

From being there on FM - the usual source of obscure footballing knowledge - it's not a direct comparison with the Libertadores = Champions League and Sudamericana = Europa League. I'm pretty sure it's possible to play in both, and there's certainly no crossover between the two competitions. IIRC, the Suda is played in our spring-time, finished before the summer, with the Libertadores taking place in the Autumn/Winter. Leading to a dominant Brazilian team potentially having to play something like 85 games in a season when you combine the State Championships, League, Cup, Suda, Libertadores and potentially the Club World Cup.

Archived